•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M13 in Hercules

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LJ000

LJ000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

Here is my M13 capture from the other night. I was eager to re-visit this cluster as It was one of the first images I shot when starting out almost a year ago this June.

Hope you enjoy this one! I was happy to see the galaxies in the top left corner too... it seems every time I study the image I find another fuzzy smile.gif

Please view the astrobin link to see full size: https://www.astrobin.com/407378/0/

Thank you.

Orion Astrograph 8"

ZWO 30F4 scope/ ASI 120mm MINI guide camera

Canon 1100D unmodded/unfiltered

Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro

ASIAIR controlled

73x60sec ISO800_1hr13min Total

Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop

Attached Thumbnails

• M13_small2.jpg

Edited by LJ000, 26 May 2019 - 08:31 AM.

• Mert, elmiko, doleman and 6 others like this

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

Nicely done! 

With an hour and a quarter of exposure time, don't be afraid to pull a little bit more out of the image.  M13 is quite a bit bigger than what you have here, and you might well have the data to display it.

• psandelle likes this

#3 LJ000

LJ000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Kathy
On the astrobin link you can see the fainter stars around the cluster as you say, it's definitely bigger than what I’ve shown. Maybe I can try to stretch the cluster that bit more. Was just worried about showing too much noise and over doing it with only an hour of data.
Less is more as they say, so I suppose I played it safe.
I’ll try editing this further and post the difference.

#4 LJ000

LJ000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

The advice was perfect Kathy, Thank you.

There was certainly more data there and with subtle stretching I managed to show more of M13 making it appear more size accurate. I can't push it no more really without introducing noise problems. Nonetheless Im very pleased with how this turned out.

Let me know what you think.

View in full res here: https://www.astrobin...407422/?nc=user

Thanks again grin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• M13_2small.jpg

Edited by LJ000, 26 May 2019 - 01:16 PM.

• Mert, moonrider, kathyastro and 1 other like this

#5 kisstek

kisstek

Explorer 1

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

There was certainly more data there and with subtle stretching I managed to show more of M13 making it appear more size accurate. I can't push it no more really without introducing noise problems. Nonetheless Im very pleased with how this turned out.

Thanks again grin.gif

Much better presence now. I like it. Nice blues!

#6 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

Now it really shines, well done!

#7 kathyastro

kathyastro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thanks again grin.gif

Yes, I knew there was more data in there!  Well done indeed!  I love how the stars are resolved all the way in to the centre.

I have the same scope, and my camera has a similar image scale, so I had a pretty good idea of what you should see at that exposure time.  My camera is cooled so I have a lower noise level and can push it more.  But you have captured a nice clean image with some punch to it now.

Don't be afraid to push your images a bit in processing.  It is possible to push too far, but that is what the Undo command is for!  I am always disappointed when I see an image with potential that was not developed.  You want every photon you captured to count.

Edited by kathyastro, 26 May 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#8 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:42 PM

Beautiful image. Nice job on the processing.
Mike

#9 LJ000

LJ000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:50 AM

Thank you to everyone for the comments. It’s always encouraging to hear positive feedback!

The two things I concentrated on here was to not blow out the “propeller” in the clusters core, and to keep the dynamic range in star colour as much as possible. I was happy with the focus and used manual dithering a few times during the session as I’m still getting to grips with the ASIAIR dither option (will not settle after dither despite good guiding). I’m sure there’s something I’m missing but will figure it out.

After I stretched it that bit further, you can now see “ripples” or “waves” of stars in the outer edges of M13 now and it just looks superb!

Your help is priceless and much appreciated.

Clear skies.
  • elmiko and kathyastro like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics