•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gotonova goes haywire

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rjsc2000

rjsc2000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portugal

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

Hi all

I have a gotonova kit 8401 that is behaving very strangely. I was trying it after some time without using it. And when i move it it gives the over current warning. After adjusting the worm in the mount the error continued.

I took the motor and tried while holding it. In one position it was ok. If i turn it upside down it goes haywire.

Does anyone have had an issue like that?

Here are the videos

bad movement

https://youtu.be/sx5igofrAic

good movement

https://youtu.be/9JJZBqHb0Co

Thanks

• cwright likes this

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hi all

I have a gotonova kit 8401 that is behaving very strangely. I was trying it after some time without using it. And when i move it it gives the over current warning. After adjusting the worm in the mount the error continued.

I took the motor and tried while holding it. In one position it was ok. If i turn it upside down it goes haywire.

Does anyone have had an issue like that?

Here are the videos

bad movement

https://youtu.be/sx5igofrAic

good movement

https://youtu.be/9JJZBqHb0Co

Thanks

Hi,

First of all eliminate the hand controller (disconnect it and remove it from the circuit) and power the motor from a seperate 12volt DC supply and see if the motor works ok , if it does then check inside the hand controller and see if it has a button cell battery ..CR 1220.. and replace that , connect back up and try again.  I’m not too sure why (as you say) it works one way but not when turned ... that’s strange. If it continues to have this fault when on a seperate power supply it’s possible you have a dicky motor. Also because the motor works ok one way but not the other is also suggesting a fault with the motor. Important to make sure all connections (power supply etc etc) to this motor are good and proper. Anyway try what I’ve suggested and see what happens. This is the same procedure I go thru when servicing this sort of fault ( over current )  in a mini tower which has the 8401 controller.

cheers

Graham

Edited by biz, 26 May 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#3 rjsc2000

rjsc2000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried it and the motor turned both ways without a problem. It doesn't have a button cell battery.

Then i turned to the dc connector on the board. It had given some connection problems. And i connected two wires directly to the board. And the motor turned without problems. So that might be the problem. I'll try to replace it and lets see what happens.

Ricardo

#4 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried it and the motor turned both ways without a problem. It doesn't have a button cell battery.

Then i turned to the dc connector on the board. It had given some connection problems. And i connected two wires directly to the board. And the motor turned without problems. So that might be the problem. I'll try to replace it and lets see what happens.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Yes make sure of the power supply connection to the motor board. Over the years I’ve struck this problem on the connector on the mini tower motors board.. it’s a 2 pin connector and sometimes this can be a bit shaky at times.

I have at times soldered the appropriate wires directly to this board and problem solved. Not saying you need to do that but these connectors need to be good. Also this over current error can come from a fault in the control board so with testing I’m sure you will find the fault.

cheers

Graham

#5 rjsc2000

rjsc2000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Hi Graham

I was thinking about replacing the DC jack, but since i had to unsolder it and solder the new one i thought, why not make what you suggest and solder the wire directly to the board. And it worked great. Besides the solder i've put some hot glue.

I've attached a photo of the outside, not the inside, sorry.

Thanks for the help. 

Ricardo

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190529_231641.jpg

#6 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

Hi Graham

I was thinking about replacing the DC jack, but since i had to unsolder it and solder the new one i thought, why not make what you suggest and solder the wire directly to the board. And it worked great. Besides the solder i've put some hot glue.

I've attached a photo of the outside, not the inside, sorry.

Thanks for the help. 

Ricardo

Your welcome Ricardo, the main thing is you now have it up and going.

cheers

Graham

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics