•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

comparing a 3 min sub *(M81-82) bw a 3.5" and 5" triplet.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:01 AM

I wanted to share the different views I got with the same target 6 weeks apart, but one with the 85mm Orion Eon, and the other with a 127mm ES ED triplet.  same camera. No reducer or filter.    I think once you get comfortable imaging with different scopes, then it raises the question, "which one is going to be my main imaging scope.?" I love them both. But,...

Attached Thumbnails

• 3 min es int.jpg
  • 3 min eon.jpg

• zjc26138 and elmiko like this

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:26 AM

The answer is........ BOTH!  Use the Eon 85mm for wider field targets (like heart nebula, soul nebula, rosette nebula, andromeda, etc) and your ES127 for smaller targets.  But do yourself a favor and get a field flattener (or reducer/flattener) for that Eon 85mm.

Here is how I choose which scope I shoot with:

Does the target fit in the FOV with my Edge HD, and is the seeing decent?  If yes, shoot it with Edge HD.  If no:
Does the target fit in the FOV of my 120mm refractor? If yes, shoot it with 120mm refractor.  If no:
Does the target fit in the FOV of my 80mm refractor? If yes, shoot it with 80mm refractor.  If no: consider mosaic or camera lenses.

Did you ever play with a FOV simulator (like the one built into Stellarium, or on this website)?  It will help you choose which scope to use for your camera and a given target.

• zjc26138 and Ballyhoo like this

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:35 AM

Did you ever play with a FOV simulator (like the one built into Stellarium, or on this website)?  It will help you choose which scope to use for your camera and a given target.

Never. Nor have I ever wondered about using my 8"SCT for imaging.

Attached Thumbnails

• FOVs.jpg

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:40 AM

I have processed the integrations and I am more please with the final integration on the EON. Processes both w PI but for some reason the 5" image is being processed too dark and I am not sure why (bottom)

edit, for those of you who know PI, with the bottom image it went south when I applied HRDM multiscale transform. Normally when I apply that process I get an improvement, but in this case it made it crazy wild, unrecognizable. So I had to bypass that process.  actually the trouble started after color calibration. It left me with an overly dark image.

Attached Thumbnails

• integration_M81 eon.gif
  • integration_M81 es.gif

Edited by Ballyhoo, 27 May 2019 - 01:44 AM.

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

before 

and after color calibration.  ???

Attached Thumbnails

• before cc.gif
  • after cc.gif

#6 2ghouls

2ghouls

Messenger

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:23 AM

before

and after color calibration. ???

Assuming you haven’t stretched the data yet, just turn the autostretch off and back on and it will look normal (not so dark). There are a number of processes that will look weird if you do them with the autostretch on. Cycling it (off and on) has always fixed the issue for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics