•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Chroma OIII 3nm test (M57)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:06 AM

I continue to test the Chroma OIII 3 nm filter and the results are very good indeed.

The last few nights have been fairly mediocre with only average transparency and on some clear evenings a gibbous moon.

I manage to obtain 15 20 minute narrow-band frames last night of M57 using the Baader 3.5 nm enforced filter and the Chroma OIII 3 nm filter. All are 50x50 mm filters. The telescope was the C14 at F7.7 using the Moravian G3 16200 at 2x2 bin.

Since I don't have the SII filter I was forced to use a bi-colour image so the colours are interesting to say the least but at least with narrow-band you can go with what you want within reason.

When the sky is much darker and with the SII filter I'm going to go to town on M57 but for now I'm just testing the capabilities of the filters I have.

I'm pleased that I get no discernible halos on the brighter stars and the star shapes look good for a 3 metre focal length with 20 minute subs.

As always let me know what you think & clear skies to you all. I'm looking forward to the dark skies coming back now my system is getting all the kinks ironed out.

Best wishes-Mark

M57_NB.jpg

Edited by pyrasanth, 27 May 2019 - 04:07 AM.

• psandelle, elmiko, Vassar1976 and 1 other like this

#2 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

Looks good Mark.

• pyrasanth likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

Mind blowing! Keep up the great work and clear skies, Mike

• pyrasanth likes this

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for your kind comments. There is now so little imaging time and the sky is not very dark. However my appetite has certainly been sharpened for some narrow-band activity heading toward the winter. I have some great targets to look forward to. I lost so many winter nights imaging in the last couple of years due to equipment failure or my setup not being quite right. I think I'm now moving, touch-wood, toward instrument stability.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics