•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacing GPS module to address rollover issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:53 AM

This has to be as simple and inexpensive as I think it is.  I'm seeing some firmware updates but I'm having the 17 year issue vs the 19 year issue and not only do I not want to do 2 updates this year I want to keep my north and level option on my NS11GPS, NS925GPS, and NS8GPS so since I have three scopes to address this on I would much prefer a module replacement over a software update that will remove important (to me) functionality.

Is there anything that is a fairly simple internally mounted plug and play option that you're all aware of?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this specifically has been talked about I searched and found nothing on the topic.

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:35 AM

Quite a bit GPS module OEM vendors (Moto, U-Blox, many others), and the GPS-unit vendors (navigators such as Garmin, etc.) have issued the firmware fix.

It's a one-time job.   <-- view this as a major software patch, no more and no less

Don't know the specific of your mount's vendor situations.  Replacing GPS module altogether sounds extreme to me.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:22 AM

This has to be as simple and inexpensive as I think it is.  I'm seeing some firmware updates but I'm having the 17 year issue vs the 19 year issue and not only do I not want to do 2 updates this year I want to keep my north and level option on my NS11GPS, NS925GPS, and NS8GPS so since I have three scopes to address this on I would much prefer a module replacement over a software update that will remove important (to me) functionality.

Is there anything that is a fairly simple internally mounted plug and play option that you're all aware of?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this specifically has been talked about I searched and found nothing on the topic.

Sorry but none that I know of. You might do some homework in identifying the basic GPS boards in the NS GPS scopes (you may also find them different between your scopes depending on when they were built) and try calling GPS board vendors but I wouldn't hold out much hope as I believe Celestron built their own boards from commercial GPS receiver modules.

Since the V1 and V2 firmware hand controllers are not upgradeable I believe that there currently is no other option but to lose the Level North initial alignment feature with a new(er) replacement hand controller.

Edited by mclewis1, 27 May 2019 - 07:23 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics