•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Summer meteorite program thoughts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sydres

Sydres

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Hi my name is Don, for the last couple of years I have been invited to deliver geology and mineralogy related sessions for a STEM program for a library near Indiana PA. This year I was asked if I could deliver a session about rocks from space While Mineralogy and geology are a hobby of mine I lack a formal education in them, Meteors and "space rocks" on the other hand are a mere periphery interest that crosses over from my love of rocks and astronomy.

I have some material prepared I do not have a good solid presentation ready. My question to the fine readers of cloudy nights is ask if anyone has any ideas for demonstrations that would stimulate the young minds of the kids that attend this session?

#2 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

I've found that passing around a fist sized iron specimen was the only demonstration required. Holding something in one's hand that until recently had been drifting around the solar system for more than 4 billion years, is a pretty good attention-getter.

Lee

• Astroman007 likes this

#3 Sydres

Sydres

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

I have a couple of specimens. Unfortunately this won't fill out the hour or so I have to fill up A lot of these are young children so I need to keep their attention.

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

I don't know much about space rocks at all... but that never stopped me from voicing my opinion! Can you talk about where in space each one is thought to have come from... What they are made out of... if what they are made of means anything... where they hit earth... if there was any impact to the area or the planet... who found it and how... how you ended up with it... anything to say how they can find them (micro specimens)...

#5 Sydres

Sydres

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

I have one activity. Using a large tray of flour or sand I will let the kids throw pebbles into the tray to make their own "impact craters"  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics