•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Damage From Last Week's Meteor Cost Me $350

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Red Centre, NT, Australia

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

G'day space rock fans,

There were a couple of large meteors that flew over central Australia last week. While the one on the night of the 21st made international news, the one on the night of the 19th (2019-05-19 14:54 UTC) cracked my windscreen.

IMG_20190530_080303sc.jpg

Truth be told, the origin of the crack was an unfilled rock ding down by the base of the wiper arm. I know it doesn't take much to get those to propogate—my brother propogated one across the windshield of my first car just by pushing on it lightly with his thumb—but this is the first I've heard of a meteor doing such a thing (with the exception Chelyabinsk, where the shockwave smashed windows outright). There were numerous reports of earthquake-like ground movements, windows rattling, and "stomping" sounds across roofs from the shockwave, so it's quite conceivable.

At about 12-in long, the crack violates even Northern Territory standards (the max allowable size is 150mm). I dropped it off at the repair shop this morning…it's going to cost me AU$350 for a new windscreen.

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 29 May 2019 - 09:53 PM.

• Augustus, alstarjoey, wrnchhead and 1 other like this

#2 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

does car insurance cover meteor damages?     confused1.gif

• Michael Covington likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:03 PM

Nuts! A nice big hunk of actual meteorite would have nicely paid for the repair, and more! The only better thing would be to get flat out injured by a falling meteor-ite... with witnesses and video of the event. And maybe some appropriate dialogue like awakening words:

"Are you feeling OK?!"

"Ehhh... Ahhh... I believe so. HATE it when that happens!"    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 144 toms meteorite.jpg

• StarryHill and clusterbuster like this

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

Actually, yes. Most territorian full coverage insurance includes one windscreen replacement per year. And it was caused by a rock no matter how you look at it! Too bad I didn't think a 2006 vehicle was worth it… frown.gif

BQ

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

Nuts! A nice big hunk of actual meteorite would have nicely paid for the repair, and more! The only better thing would be to get flat out injured by a falling meteor-ite... with witnesses and video of the event. And maybe some appropriate dialogue like awakening words:

"Are you feeling OK?!"

"Ehhh... Ahhh... I believe so. HATE it when that happens!"    Tom

Wait, you're saying that thing fell on you?!

Tuesday's larger meteor likely produced some big chunks down in the Great Australian Bight. Perhaps an expedition is in order. But I don't think a chunk would cover the costs…

BQ

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

Wait, you're saying that thing fell on you?!

Tuesday's larger meteor likely produced some big chunks down in the Great Australian Bight. Perhaps an expedition is in order. But I don't think a chunk would cover the costs…

BQ

Well... No, but I wish it had. Maybe some minor injury, like a broken finger nail or something. Then all the press interviews, talk shows, special appearances, fame, fortune, groupies... But for now... I just sit and wait... Geesh!!!

Closest I got was this falling-telescope injury. >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 145 60 Toms telescope injury.jpg
  • 146 scope scar.jpg

#7 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

There's probably a no-payment clause about "acts of God" in the small print, even if it doesn't actually say which of their stupid gods is allowed to throw rocks.

• caheaton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics