•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Accessories for Early 1960s Questars

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

Company 7's discussion of mid-production Questars lists all of the accessories that would have accompanied a Questar when it was new (see three-fourths down on that page).

That list doesn't seem to fit exactly what would have accompanied my 1962 Questar when it rolled off the assembly line. Referring to Company 7's list, I'm sure it would have had two eyepieces (40-80x and 80-160x), case, two keys, small Bristol wrench, tripod legs, AC power cord, off-axis solar filter, instruction booklet, and a shipping drum. I have no reason to doubt it would have had a letter signed by Lawrence Braymer. I do doubt, however, that it would have had a front lens diaphragm. I'm not sure when these were introduced, but I have a feeling that my 1962 Questar would have been too early of an example to have had one of these originally. No mention of such an accessory in the pink early 1960s instruction booklet confirms that feeling. That leaves an item that Company 7's describes in their list as a "Questar Booklet," which, I'm assuming, would have been different than the instruction booklet.

Does anyone have any information about what this "Questar Booklet" would have looked like? Was it the brochure with the "Greek Goddess" image on the front? Would there even have been such a thing that would have accompanied a 1962 Questar?

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Call Questar, they should know.

#3 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

The two keys and Bristol wrench are commonly missing when buying a vintage Questar.

But easy enough to find on-line.

• terraclarke likes this

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

I have no Bristol wrench (I didn’t even know what one was until I looked it up) with mine. Is the Questar one the kind with a plastic handle like a screwdriver or is it the kind like a metal rod bent into an ‘L’ shape? Also, I still don’t get the difference between a Bristol Wrench and an Allen Wrench (I do have a full set of those). The Wikipedia article said the difference had to do with the “splines” but then again, I have no clue what that is either! lol.gif

And sadly, my manual and case keys are missing (tho my case looks brand new).

Edited by terraclarke, 03 June 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#5 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

I have no Bristol wrench (I didn’t even know what one was until I looked it up) with mine. Is the Questar one the kind with a plastic handle like a screwdriver or is it the kind like a metal rod bent into an ‘L’ shape? Also, I still don’t get the difference between a Bristol Wrench and an Allen Wrench (I do have a full set of those). The Wikipedia article said the difference had to do with the “splines” but then again, I have no clue what that is either! lol.gif

Terra, have a look at these two sections in the Wikipedia article entitled "List of screw drives": Bristol and Hex Socket. Compare the pictures of the socket head with the socket heads of the screws on your Questar to see which ones you have. I understand that Questar switched from the Bristol to the more common hex/Allen type some time ago (not sure when the switch happened).

For discussion of Questar-specific Bristol wrench sizes, see this CN post.

When I received my Questar, I didn't have a Bristol wrench... or so I thought. Poking around on CN revealed this posting, which prompted me to have a closer look at the pockets in my case. To my everlasting delight (I'm smiling even as I write this), I found the small Bristol wrench that Questar would have originally supplied with the scope. It was wedged way down on the bottom in the solar filter pocket, long since forgotten by prior owners.

Indeed, all owners of second-hand Questars should have a close look down all the pockets of their cases. You never know what you'll find!
  • terraclarke likes this

#6 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:44 PM

Also, I recently acquired a pair of Cheney #30 keys off eBay. I was picky and got the ones with the circle around the key head and "Cheney England" stamped inside that circle.

For keys that would go with the early to mid 1960s English saddle leather cases, see the second picture in this CN posting. Newer, less correct ones don't have the circle stamped around the key head and have "Cheney UK" stamped onto them. But I bet they work just the same.

It looks like these keys were used not only for Questar cases but a multitude of other types of cases including guitar cases. I have a feeling they are relatively easy to find, though probably not unlimited in number.

Edited by Gregory Gross, 03 June 2019 - 08:46 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#7 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

Greg, I have a 1960 model Q and it came with the lens diaphragm. My pink owners manual also had a manually typed tag taped inside the cover. That tag gave instructions on how to check for the proper alignment of the corrector lens.

Ross Schlabach

#8 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

Greg, I have a 1960 model Q and it came with the lens diaphragm. My pink owners manual also had a manually typed tag taped inside the cover. That tag gave instructions on how to check for the proper alignment of the corrector lens.

Ross Schlabach

Boy, I'm really curious now about what those type-written instructions say. Ross, would you be willing to scan or take a picture of those instructions and post them here?

#9 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

If you hadn't asked, I would have found the manual in an instant. But since you did ask, the manual has well and truly gone into hiding. I'll keep looking and it will pop up sometime.

Ross Schlabach

#10 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

Does anyone have any information about what this "Questar Booklet" would have looked like? Was it the brochure with the "Greek Goddess" image on the front? Would there even have been such a thing that would have accompanied a 1962 Questar?

I think I answered the question I posed in the opening posting for this thread. On Company 7's website, there's a page entitled "Questar Notes & Interesting Articles." On that page is a link to a PDF for a "Questar booklet" dated November 1960. This definitely looks different from the instruction booklet that would have accompanied early 1960s Questars.

#11 JonTeets

JonTeets

Ranger 4

• Loc: In a light patch

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:54 PM

Pics of both the allen wrench and the Questar L bristol wrench in action in the disassembly of a couple of Qs.  (posts 1 & 2 of the thread.)

https://www.cloudyni...ble-transplant/

• terraclarke and Mwmcgehee757 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics