•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

4 June Sun, filaments and proms

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 60N, Helsinki, Finland

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:44 AM

Hi! This is my second sun sketch and the first here. Nice to join your community!

Weather was (of course) a bit challenging, but found that a haze doesn't impact the view much, but then you had those intermittent clouds too, and the challenging part ensued. Tried to continue later, but in 1/2-1 hours think at least one of the proms, the U-shaped, had changed a bit, or then didn't get to see it quite properly. Anyhow, this was the best impression I could get around 9:30-10:00 UT in maybe three tries. Incredible you can see even this much with that much clouds up, good to remember.

OH3pWz.jpg

H-alpha: PST and 8-24mm zoom

4B pencil, multipurpose paper with printed quarter-circle

Edited by viewer, 04 June 2019 - 02:40 PM.

• Special Ed, frank5817, niteskystargazer and 6 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Hi,

Very nice sketch of 4 June Sun, Filaments and Proms cool.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

Thanks! Interesting to see how much better I get before plateauing smile.gif

Edited by viewer, 04 June 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#4 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:36 PM

Thinking deeper about it, think I'll sketch only when the conditions are good, otherwise just watch. The quality suffers otherwise. You need the possibility to check and re-check on demand. Think my goal is to get as much detail in the proms as possible, simultaneously enhancing it all artistically. The filaments and coming spots are trickier, so much information on the face of the sun, need to find a compromise.

Edited by viewer, 04 June 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#5 acr_astro

acr_astro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

Hi,

fine sketch of the proms and filaments. Thanls for sharing with us.

Yesterday I had similar weather conditions and just did a quick sketch in my observation logbook using a silver point pen.

Looks similar to yours:

IMG_20190605_130045.jpg

Clear skies

Achim

• Special Ed, frank5817, niteskystargazer and 1 other like this

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

Viewer,

Welcome in to the Sketching forum--nice sketch.  smile.gif   I think you are right to pick your conditions to make a sketch.  The view of proms through my PST is really sensitive to sky transparency and the interruptions made by passing clouds can be very frustrating.

I use an 8-24mm zoom too--it makes it very convenient to dial in the magnification that the seeing will support.

I like that you included the time/date UT on your sketch and other info in your post.  I would suggest that on your sketch you also include the cardinal directions and magnification used.

• viewer likes this

#7 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

Thanks! Regarding the data on the sketch I think I'll keep it to a minimum. But the magnification (50x) and the reversing could be mentioned beneath. It will always be the same. Figuring out exactly where the cardinal directions are may be a bit cumbersome. I just sketch what I see.

In white light the orientation should be approximately right though, using an erecting prism on the Mak.

Edited by viewer, 05 June 2019 - 01:19 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics