•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Focus Motor - A Brief Review (RASA 11)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Mariner 2

• Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

Well I'm not sure. When I tighten the outer ring to mount the plate and UFC the whole thing turns. But I removed it and tried to turn the center element alone and it did no turn.
However I finally got a flat field last try.  What I did was lock the mirror down.  Then unlock both 1/2 turn.  It focus'ed fine and I had a flat field. I was wondering if the mirror maybe was tilted inside. 

I didn't think it was tilt because that would smear the stars on the edges?  Mine are still fairly round donuts.  Since I finally in 6 month of owning it shot my first flat field I'll suspect the locks were to loose.  My latest field - 50x100 seconds no darks or flats. 

The center elements rotate on the RASA 11? They don’t on the RASA 8.

That looks like tilt to me. With the left third probably being the true focus point such that the middle and left edge aren’t too bad where the right side is a few microns off.

68717654_10217417321297810_1883802076551

• starbuckin likes this

#52 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

Less than 2 hours and you get that? Wow, that. is. amazing.

Well done, what great color and faint details in the outer bands. What detail in the M110. That is just flat out great.

No way i can do that from my setup with the light pollution. I'm jealous. 

Wast that using the Celestron light pollution filter? 

-Jim

Edited by kingjamez, 18 August 2019 - 05:34 PM.

#53 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:24 AM

Now I stumbled onto this because I'm remote and I've had some HORRIBLE unflat fields - or at least not fully in focus. I wondered if the VERY LOOSE locks were allowing the mirror to flop and not square up.  So today I locked them down then unlocked them almost a full turn instead.  I read above someone else did this. I'm hoping it levels out the mirror.  Else I will focus and go out and lock it just to confirm that this is the problem.

I have sharp focus center and left - and DONUTS (out of focus) on the far right side of the full frame sensor.   I think tilt or spacing issues would distort the stars (smear them) as is the result of too close or too far (spacing). Since the donuts look fairly circular - I'm thinking it has to be mirror flop or some other issue. (the center lens elements rotate when putting on a camera) I'm thinking these may be aligned at factory and should not move? 

I've had 5 months of problems with the RASA 11 and finally contacted Celestron and my dealer (highpoint Scientific) for a solution.

Did you ever get the lens rotation resolved? I’ve had a similar issue with mine.

#54 Churmey

Churmey

Vostok 1

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

I just got the focus motor for my RASA 11 and am having issues with it going through the focus.  In the directions they say to turn the feather-touch counter-clockwise until it stops.  Once the focus motor is installed it stops before achieving focus, maybe 4 turns shy.  I saw your post and was wondering if you are referring to moving the focuser on a RASA to the middle before installing the focuser.  Perhaps then it would move further through the focus and get the job done.  There doesn’t seem to be much info out there about thi

Did you "push" the focuser assembly as outlined in step #11 (retro fit instruction) instead of threading/turning inward?  On my first attempt, I simply threaded my focuser all the way back in, until it sat in the full in position. However, this was incorrect. You are suppose to "Push" the whole assembly back to the seated position.  Mine actually took more strength than i felt comfortable with, but eventually it pushed into place.

#55 th3r3ds0x

th3r3ds0x

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Louisiana

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Did you "push" the focuser assembly as outlined in step #11 (retro fit instruction) instead of threading/turning inward?  On my first attempt, I simply threaded my focuser all the way back in, until it sat in the full in position. However, this was incorrect. You are suppose to "Push" the whole assembly back to the seated position.  Mine actually took more strength than i felt comfortable with, but eventually it pushed into place.

Yeah no issue pushing it in.  After 3 focusers and 2 retrokits I determined that it must be my scope out of spec.  Installed several times following along with help from Celestron as well.  Installed a MicroTouch, wish I had gone that route first, it just works.

#56 calvincarter

calvincarter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:15 AM

Hi everyone. 

Briefly, here is what my experience has been trying to get a focus motor on my RASA 11.

1. First I used the Celestron model. I spent days on it trying to get it to work. Eventually I gave up and feel it is poorly designed based on all the other forum posts on CN sharing the same type of experience. The Celestron unit seems to work for some and not for others. 

2. So then I purchased the Pegasus Astro Focus Cube 2. First there was a lot of confusion on which model of theirs works on the 11. So if you're going to try it, make SURE to get the version that works on the 11 (some web sites say all RASAs work on the same model, but that's not true - essentially there is one for scopes smaller than 11. And one for scopes 11 and higher.)

BUT the instructions had NOTHING about the Feathertouch focuser. It assumed your scope had the same focuser as the 8". I couldn't find anything online and got pretty frustrated that they advertise it as working with the 11, then send you instructions for the 8 (which has a COMPLETELY different focuser. So I returned it...

3. Then I got the Starizona MicroTouch focus motor and hand control. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DREAM THIS PRODUCT IS! I scheduled the whole day to get it installed, based on all the issues with the previous two focusers I tried from other manufacturers. I ended up getting it fully installed and up and running in 10 minutes. AND IT JUST WORKS!!! 

So, if you love it when stuff you buy doesn't work, and requires you to research and come up with your own solutions, then this one isn't for you. Go with the Celestron as you will likely find that it gives you the most grief. Or the Pegasus if you want what is trying to be a better product, but falls short on actually getting you there, and requires that you essentially invent your own way of installing it on a RASA 11. ;-)

But if you want something that just works, go with the Starizona MicroTouch.

IF you do decide to do this, buy the one with the Low Profile Motor.

Admittedly it is more money than the Focus Cube 2 and the Celestron. BUT focus matters SO MUCH to the results in our little "hobby". So after all the drama I had, I was happy to pay more for something so much better.

And, when you buy it, you can choose between the smaller "Shuttle" controller or the standard hand controller which is much larger but has more features as it has more buttons and an LCD readout.

I originally got the Shuttle since I wanted a smaller footprint. But after speaking with Starizona, they suggested I get the larger hand controller especially because you use a RASA with a computer (not with your eyeball). I took their word for it, and they express mailed me the other controller. Now that is great service! They didn't have to do that. By making that suggestion they added more work to their plate, but they did it because they CARE about their customers. And they are right. Even though the hand controller is large, the LCD readout is nice and the ability to control a lot of the functions with the on board buttons is convenient. But frankly EITHER ONE will work PERFECTLY FINE on your scope (RASA or otherwise). 

Here is the Shuttle version - smaller controller

https://www.highpoin...ASABEgL8QvD_BwE

Here is the standard version with the larger controller with the LCD display:

https://starizona.co...tofocuser-wired

So, BIG THANK YOU to High Pointe Scientific who allowed me to return TWO Pegasus Astro Focus Cube's and giving me time to try to get each to work. AND for helping me make the final decision to go with the Starizona unit.

And BIG THANK YOU to Starizona who helped me immensely by sending me the larger hand controller and taking the Shuttle controller back.

NOW I have to figure out how I'm going to AutoFocus. I'll need to post this somewhere on CloudyNights but FocusMax seems to be the standard in the industry, BUT it only works with Nebulosity (which I have but can't get it to talk to FocusMax), CCDSoft, MaximIl and TheSkyX (but ONLY the expensive PRO version with the camera upgrade). But I use SharpCapPro because I love the live stacking and like the interface much more than the others. SharpCapPro has several focus assistants but none of them seem to be "push one button" to automagically focus your scope... So, if anyone is out there and has found a better solution, please let me know. ;-)

Good luck everyone!

#57 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:33 AM

N.I.N.A's focus routine is the best I've used. Even if you didn't use the rest of it's capabilities, it's worth using for the parabolic focusing.

#58 th3r3ds0x

th3r3ds0x

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

Hi everyone. 

Briefly, here is what my experience has been trying to get a focus motor on my RASA 11.

1. First I used the Celestron model. I spent days on it trying to get it to work. Eventually I gave up and feel it is poorly designed based on all the other forum posts on CN sharing the same type of experience. The Celestron unit seems to work for some and not for others. 

2. So then I purchased the Pegasus Astro Focus Cube 2. First there was a lot of confusion on which model of theirs works on the 11. So if you're going to try it, make SURE to get the version that works on the 11 (some web sites say all RASAs work on the same model, but that's not true - essentially there is one for scopes smaller than 11. And one for scopes 11 and higher.)

BUT the instructions had NOTHING about the Feathertouch focuser. It assumed your scope had the same focuser as the 8". I couldn't find anything online and got pretty frustrated that they advertise it as working with the 11, then send you instructions for the 8 (which has a COMPLETELY different focuser. So I returned it...

3. Then I got the Starizona MicroTouch focus motor and hand control. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DREAM THIS PRODUCT IS! I scheduled the whole day to get it installed, based on all the issues with the previous two focusers I tried from other manufacturers. I ended up getting it fully installed and up and running in 10 minutes. AND IT JUST WORKS!!! 

So, if you love it when stuff you buy doesn't work, and requires you to research and come up with your own solutions, then this one isn't for you. Go with the Celestron as you will likely find that it gives you the most grief. Or the Pegasus if you want what is trying to be a better product, but falls short on actually getting you there, and requires that you essentially invent your own way of installing it on a RASA 11. ;-)

But if you want something that just works, go with the Starizona MicroTouch.

IF you do decide to do this, buy the one with the Low Profile Motor.

Admittedly it is more money than the Focus Cube 2 and the Celestron. BUT focus matters SO MUCH to the results in our little "hobby". So after all the drama I had, I was happy to pay more for something so much better.

And, when you buy it, you can choose between the smaller "Shuttle" controller or the standard hand controller which is much larger but has more features as it has more buttons and an LCD readout.

I originally got the Shuttle since I wanted a smaller footprint. But after speaking with Starizona, they suggested I get the larger hand controller especially because you use a RASA with a computer (not with your eyeball). I took their word for it, and they express mailed me the other controller. Now that is great service! They didn't have to do that. By making that suggestion they added more work to their plate, but they did it because they CARE about their customers. And they are right. Even though the hand controller is large, the LCD readout is nice and the ability to control a lot of the functions with the on board buttons is convenient. But frankly EITHER ONE will work PERFECTLY FINE on your scope (RASA or otherwise). 

Here is the Shuttle version - smaller controller

https://www.highpoin...ASABEgL8QvD_BwE

Here is the standard version with the larger controller with the LCD display:

https://starizona.co...tofocuser-wired

So, BIG THANK YOU to High Pointe Scientific who allowed me to return TWO Pegasus Astro Focus Cube's and giving me time to try to get each to work. AND for helping me make the final decision to go with the Starizona unit.

And BIG THANK YOU to Starizona who helped me immensely by sending me the larger hand controller and taking the Shuttle controller back.

NOW I have to figure out how I'm going to AutoFocus. I'll need to post this somewhere on CloudyNights but FocusMax seems to be the standard in the industry, BUT it only works with Nebulosity (which I have but can't get it to talk to FocusMax), CCDSoft, MaximIl and TheSkyX (but ONLY the expensive PRO version with the camera upgrade). But I use SharpCapPro because I love the live stacking and like the interface much more than the others. SharpCapPro has several focus assistants but none of them seem to be "push one button" to automagically focus your scope... So, if anyone is out there and has found a better solution, please let me know. ;-)

Good luck everyone!

Glad you found the MicroTouch.  I had the same experience with the Celestron motor on my RASA 11.  Highpoint was great with me also, allowing me to return the focus motor after two months since I had that much time in with Celestron trying to make it work.  The MicroTouch works great and SGP has a nice V curve.  

• calvincarter likes this

#59 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:45 PM

I ordered mine in January for my 11” RASA, but the retrofit part was delayed. I received everything in April from Astronomics. I didn’t try it out for a month +, when I did I couldn’t get it to work. Spent a bunch of time, several calls to Celestron. I finally gave up and requested to return to Astronomics. I received an e-mail saying that they have no reports of any problems with it and if I wanted to return, to contact Celestron. 

So bottom line, Celestron has my scope trying to resolve it and hats off to Highpoint for helping you out, all I got was that I’m the only one that has had a problem with it.

#60 calvincarter

calvincarter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

44mauer, it’s definitely not you. It’s the focuser. Let’s hope they find a fix for all those people who are stuck with it. Good luck and clear skies when you get it back. :-)

#61 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

For those still playing around with getting the focuser to work. I got my RASA back from Celestron, hooked up and guess what...I didn’t work, 2 turns and it locked up.  Celestron asked me to remove the focuser and see if the retro piece would rotate.

in playing around, I loosened the 3 screws in the attached image and the focuser started to move. As the focuser was moving, I gradually tightened the screws and it now works. Worth a try to those who are unable to get the focuser to do more than a few turns.

D798BE4C E614 410C AA39 F5856B9C4C3B

#62 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:16 AM

Sad to say, I got out to setup finally and although the focuser to have more movement, it wouldn’t go far enough to get focus...I order this in January, now almost November, I went over the river and thru the woods...enough is enough, going back to Celestron.

on a side note, Celestron collimated my RASA, WOW, what a difference. They said it was close, but OMG what a difference!

#63 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:23 AM

I use the Optec Quicksync FT on my RASA. It works first time straight out of the box. It simply replaces the Microtouch head and has a step size of 1 Micron. It is highly repeatable & has temperature sensing.

#64 th3r3ds0x

th3r3ds0x

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

Sad to say, I got out to setup finally and although the focuser to have more movement, it wouldn’t go far enough to get focus...I order this in January, now almost November, I went over the river and thru the woods...enough is enough, going back to Celestron.

on a side note, Celestron collimated my RASA, WOW, what a difference. They said it was close, but OMG what a difference!

I tried 3 separate focuser unit 2 retro kits.  I’d say there is a tolerance issue that some of the scopes aren’t meeting.  I gave up on it after all that and just got a MicroTouch.  Had it working in just a few minutes.  

Side not I just sent the RASA back to Celestron for a collimate and clean.  I was seeing oval stars to one side of the field.  Hope it comes back as nice as yours.

• kingjamez likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics