•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter observation, the other side, white oval in SPR

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

It can be hard to find good images covering the non-GRS side of Jupiter.  Tonight I had some decent seeing and checked on Jupiter a few times over the course of an hour in between DSO observing.  This was "post GRS" passage from around 7 to 8 UTC 6/6/19.  I noticed at least 4 white ovals in the STB, might have been 5, not counting Oval BA which was just beginning to come around as I switched back to DSO's.  The seeing was decent but drifting in and out at 278x which is why my oval count was a bit muddled. 

But the interesting thing was the white oval that I noticed on the preceding side in the south polar region.  It was about as prominent as the smaller of the ovals in the STB.   There was a little texture elsewhere at one or two points at the same latitude in the SPR trailing across, but it was too small and the seeing was not sufficiently steady to make any more of it.  Getting seeing that shows anything of note in this region is always welcome.

I think I have found an image of the same oval, see the following link:  ALPO Japan 5/31/19 Jupiter.  It is the second Jean-Luc Dauvergne image.  That was a week ago and my impression is that the oval is somewhat more prominent now (at least visually), but the relative position looks about right noting white ovals in the STB on both limbs. 

Also, the map in the following link seems to show the same thing:  M. Vedovato Jupiter map.  (Note that being in the polar are it is somewhat stretched and enlarged by the projection of the map, compared to what it looks like on the visual disk of Jupiter.)

• Special Ed likes this

#2 CPellier

CPellier

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:11 AM

You probably have seen the SPR red spot, congratulations (a local GRS but smaller).

Not that the other white spots belong to SSTB though.

• Redbetter likes this

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

You probably have seen the SPR red spot, congratulations (a local GRS but smaller).

Not that the other white spots belong to SSTB though.

I wouldn't call it "red" or even orange.  It is similar in hue to Oval BA, which is also more of light beige anymore.  A recent image with Oval BA about the same distance from the limb as the SPR spot shows the balance of limb dimming and hue.  Link

• NorthernlatAK likes this

#4 CPellier

CPellier

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:19 AM

I wouldn't call it "red" or even orange.  It is similar in hue to Oval BA, which is also more of light beige anymore.  A recent image with Oval BA about the same distance from the limb as the SPR spot shows the balance of limb dimming and hue.  Link

Exact remark :) if your prefer "red spots" on Jupiter are a particular class of anticyclones, but they are not always red. The GRS itself can be very pale. So even if the color disappears they still belong to that class of jovian objects.

• Special Ed likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics