•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interested in NV

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#126 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:48 PM

I went thru a phase of buying and trying camera lenses.

Did not work for me:
zooms (poor transmission)
Contax C-Y and Konica AR : these didn’t reach infinity focus.

Camera lenses that work very well :
Canon FD 50, 85, 300
Nikon AI 135 and 180ED (a nice Astro lens)

The reason l like the camera lenses: the old ones are plentiful and inexpensive. They don’t have to be in perfect shape for NV, and the adapters are easy to obtain. For the causal NV observer, two lenses will cover most applications.

I'm really like camera lenses too. Have three so far (50, 135, 300) and want to fill in the gaps (85, 200).

One rough spot is filter changing (for filter rings glued into the adapter). 

I would like to get around this by using a filter drawer. The sticking spot is finding a Canon FD to T2 adapter. Anyone know of a source for this?

#127 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Sorry, saw the OP's name... loved that game!

Yes...good game and movie.

#128 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

Just picked up an adapter for my Nikon lenses. I have a 50mm F1.8 that is a really nice lens. Should be quite nice and light. I have a large zoom, but not sure that will actually be good for this situation.

Maybe I'll get a cheap larger lens in the future.

#129 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

Yes...good game and movie.

Was not aware of the movie but I do live under a rock with no tv for several yrs...

#130 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

Just got an adapter from RafCamera for the 1x objective

Can you post the link to this adapter?

I just purchased a used 1x ENVIS lens from CN member "11769". Before I get into using the NVD in a telescope (I don't have access to them for few more weeks) I want to try out handheld using 1x and I might add ENVIS compatible 3x objective. Buy an astronomik UHC for light pollution and add 1.25" 7nm or 12nm Ha filter to get started. Later think about how I will set this up for scopes.

#131 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

Can you post the link to this adapter?

I just purchased a used 1x ENVIS lens from CN member "11769". Before I get into using the NVD in a telescope (I don't have access to them for few more weeks) I want to try out handheld using 1x and I might add ENVIS compatible 3x objective. Buy an astronomik UHC for light pollution and add 1.25" 7nm or 12nm Ha filter to get started. Later think about how I will set this up for scopes.

https://www.rafcamer...s-to-astro-1-25

#132 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

I'm really like camera lenses too. Have three so far (50, 135, 300) and want to fill in the gaps (85, 200).

One rough spot is filter changing (for filter rings glued into the adapter). 

I would like to get around this by using a filter drawer. The sticking spot is finding a Canon FD to T2 adapter. Anyone know of a source for this?

Can RAF make adapter to use 1.25" filters with camera lenses (used in the back somewhere closer to the tube) - such an adapter saves cost of buying multiple 2" filters.

I went thru a phase of buying and trying camera lenses.

Did not work for me:
zooms (poor transmission)
Contax C-Y and Konica AR : these didn’t reach infinity focus.

Camera lenses that work very well :
Canon FD 50, 85, 300
Nikon AI 135 and 180ED (a nice Astro lens)

The reason l like the camera lenses: the old ones are plentiful and inexpensive. They don’t have to be in perfect shape for NV, and the adapters are easy to obtain. For the causal NV observer, two lenses will cover most applications.

Has anyone tested NV specific objectives with camera lenses, while the NV specific lens such as ENVIS 1x is optimized for NV camera lenses are not.

#133 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

Can you guys tell I just bought a NV scope?

weather1

• Vondragonnoggin and pwang99 like this

#134 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

This is all guessing:

I *think* the Leica lenses bring IR to focus along with visual. Which would give the NV observer sharp stars. All lenses I’ve tried have some some degree of star bloat. Then some stars fuzzy focus when most are sharp, and vice versa. This is the same reason imagers use the IR-block filter.

I *think* the SWIR c-mount machine lenses also bring IR to same focus.

In either case , I’m not not going to try either one of these. Happy with what I have. I’m sure there are some better and best lenses for NV. But no “magic” must-have lens.

To me, Small lenses are for handheld “look-see” Telescopes are for observing.

Some of the more knowledgeable members will have better info.

#135 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:40 PM

This is all guessing:

I *think* the Leica lenses bring IR to focus along with visual. Which would give the NV observer sharp stars. All lenses I’ve tried have some some degree of star bloat. Then some stars fuzzy focus when most are sharp, and vice versa. This is the same reason imagers use the IR-block filter.

Maybe this could be tested using stars?

Achieve your best focus on a white or yellow star. Preferably, one that is not so bright as to cause halo effect.

Now, go to a red star (or better yet, a carbon star) at the same magnitude. Can focus be tweaked outwards to improve the view?

#136 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:41 PM

Can you guys tell I just bought a NV scope?

Wow. Must be an exceptional tube!

• jdbastro likes this

#137 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

My adapter came "From Russia with Love" for the 1x objective to have 1.25inch filters on it. I had tried a few by hand-holding them.

It fit perfectly and now that's solidified my 1x capability (which I am really enjoying).

My biggest issue is it's not getting truly dark until 10-1030 now...which is when I have to get to bed. I can't afford to go to bed too much later than that for health reasons...I know it's just starting to head the other way now.

I do believe this capability is going to be huge in the winter. Not having to setup a scope is going to be really nice for short sessions in the cold.

#138 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

It fit perfectly and now that's solidified my 1x capability (which I am really enjoying).

Yeah, I used to tell people that 1x would be used far more than they would have thought.  It gets used because it is easy to use and you can see sooooo much.

I was out last night with my Skywatcher 130PDS.  It was not a super great night, but much clearer than it has been for weeks.  The Milky Way was low but even my PVS-7 at 1x  made it dead easy to see the Lagoon, Trifid, Swan, and Eagle nebulas, and M22, even at 1x is very easy to see.

I have a red laser on the telescope, so when I want to point, I just press the button on the laser, and I use the PVS-7 to see where the laser is pointing, and push the scope to the target.   Super easy.  Pretty much all of the brighter Globulars are visible at 1x even from red zone skies. 

So, even when I am using the scope, I am also using a binocular or the PVS-7 with various lenses for finding, or for wide fields.

Happy you are enjoying 1x.  It really is a lot of fun.  I don't think a clear night goes by that I don't go out for at least 10 minutes before bed. It is just so relaxing and beautiful.

This I think is why so many people eventually buy a second device (PVS-7).  One in the scope and one for finding, or low power, and when doing low power with friends, one for sharing. 

Edited by Eddgie, 26 June 2019 - 04:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics