•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MOD3 with attachments

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

Received my c mount adaptor and it now holds my Nikon 18-55 lens (I also have a 55-300). Hoping to try it tonight as hand held. Will have to wait for another day to make primary mirror adj on the dob and try as prime focus (early shift tomorrow). I also bought the eye shade, dimist lens and sacrificial window (made a minor mod to fit with gain control and a safety strap. I continue to thank you all for the guidance.

Now I am thinking of calling Astronomics and placing an order for the AT F/7 115 ED triplet refractor and an Ioptron IEQ30 mount. I suspect this would be a good match for this NV equipment and standard viewing or SC "live view" not to mention as a better g&g setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0438-2.jpg
  • IMG_0439-2.jpg

• Eddgie, moshen, Vondragonnoggin and 1 other like this

#2 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

Now if I have some success it will be time to start looking at some filters 

#3 pwang99

pwang99

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

A 100mm fast refractor is a good complement for G&G night vision.  It you're under only moderately light-polluted skies, it should also give you the ability to see some nice dust regions in Cygnus and Sagittarius.

#4 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

I suggest the Astronomics 6” f/4 imaging newt. Has plenty of backfocus , more aperture, faster optics, and gives a correct image with NV at prime focus.
I had good results, but sold it since I preferred the larger aperture dob.
  • Eddgie and BJS like this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

I think th 6" f/4 is a great choice for NV too.  If the OP wants the refractor for non-NV use as well though, that makes sense, but I recommend that he waits to try NV first.   Only after he experiences it will he decide if the speed of the f/4 suits his needs.

The f/4 though has plenty of back focus for a filter wheel, and even with a Barlow, he is only at f/8 and can get good image scale for Globulars and mid size Messier clusters.

If though he wants the other scope for other uses like double color doubles or quick looks at the moon, a nice Apo is a good way to go, but unless he is imaging, there really is no benefit to using an APO.  A good ED scope will work great for un-assisted visual and for NV.

Frankly though, I think that unless a light mount is a major factor in the desired configuration, an 8" f/4 to me would probably be more optimal.  Sometimes I wish I had picked up the 8" Boren-Simon as a good compromise between 6" and 10" in terms of overall ergonomics, mounting demand, and image scale.  10" is generally too big for most Alt-az mounts, but many will hold the 8" and after 30 years, I have come to feel that it is the mount that takes the effort and not the scope that is put on it. 

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

Received my c mount adaptor and it now holds my Nikon 18-55 lens (I also have a 55-300). 

Excellent. 

See, it is coming together.  Often people seem to feel that it sounds overwhelming, but it is really pretty simple and straight forward.  There is nothing difficult about it.  It is just that you really have a huge amount of configuration options, and once you get the basics (tread something off, thread something on, based on what you want to do) it is super easy to do NV.

That being said, I have a shelf full of adapters and stuff.   I just have so many different lens options and configuration options.  Like with the fitler wheel, some scopes can't use it, some can, so I have to have the necessary adatpters to go back and forth.

I am sure that everyone is looking forward to your first experience reports! 

Edited by Eddgie, 07 June 2019 - 03:46 PM.

• chemisted likes this

#7 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

What adapter is used to connect the C mount to the Nikon lens? I have multiple Nikon lenses like the one in the picture. Thanks!

• GeezerGazer likes this

#8 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

•  

What adapter is used to connect the C mount to the Nikon lens? I have multiple Nikon lenses like the one in the picture. Thanks!

Nikon F to c-mount adapter, like this one. https://fotodioxpro....ucts/nikf-c-pro

#9 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Doug...Any way to still have a filter on there when attaching this setup? Or does it lose that capability?

#10 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

I took the filter out of a cheap 1.25” color filter and epoxied the housing inside my F/c adapter so I can screw in one of my NV filters. While my F/c adapter isn’t the Fotodiox that I linked to, that one looks like it should have room to do that.

Edited to add photo, if it helps show the filter ring epoxied inside the adapter. I used an iPhone so the image is probably upside down. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 32E6BD01-D194-4D8C-A936-910949B63866.jpeg

• Starman81 likes this

#11 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

GOLGO, the Nikon DX series of lenses shown in this thread are automatically controlled by the camera to which they are attached and rely on the battery within the camera as their power source.  The problem is that the default aperture setting for DX lenses is at its very smallest setting... while you want it wide open for use with NV.  The DX lenses have a focus ring, but no aperture ring on the outside of the lens to control the aperture manually.  For the aperture control lever to operate (found on the back of the lens within the F mount), you must purchase an adapter that actually has the ability to control aperture on an auto lens.  I might be wrong, but I think the standard F to C mount FotodioX Pro model does not have that mechanism.  You will want one that says it WILL control aperture on DX lenses, such as:  

https://www.bhphotov...nt_adapter.html

Most of us using Nikon F-mount lenses with NV use older ones that have both a manual focus ring and a manual aperture ring.  They are usually much less expensive and more convenient for NV.  If you get the correct adapter though, the DX lenses should work just fine.  You might have to move the lens control switch from auto to manual to adjust focus... maybe not.  

Good luck. 

Edited by GeezerGazer, 12 June 2019 - 06:50 PM.

• Doug Culbertson and Vondragonnoggin like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics