•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Next binocular?

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

Hi Bino forum,

I was surprised last month with an unexpected small tax return that I would like to invest in another binocular. As you can see in my signature, I have several vintages and two modern  binoculars on the affordable end.  I would like to buy a dedicated astronomy binocular that could be an improvement of what i have. Budget is ca. 300 usd.

I have been looking for a modern 10x50 as this is my most enjoyable magnification and would be a good replacement to the Carl Zeiss Dekarem understanding that while the Dekarem is an amazing binocular, its almost 40 years old and the eye relief is not the best, besides that, its my favorite binoculars and i plan to keep it.

I found these models in UK that are very similar to the Oberwerks or Orion's Resolux that you have in the US:

Helios Lightquest HR

https://www.firstlig...binoculars.html

Helios Stellar II WP

The price difference is aprox.100 usd, the binoculars look similar as well as the specifications  Do you have experience with these models and could tell me if there is a significant difference? I am in favor of the HR as they have the leatherete body which i prefer over the rubber armor.

Another option is to replace my well-collimated Skymaster 15x70 with the Helios Stellar II which are IF and rubber armored.

Finally, my last option is to buy another vintage: the Zeiss NVA EDF 7x40, but it would exceed the budget and it surely will go to the vitrine with limited field use. 

I will appreciate your kind advise and many thanks in advance!

Clear skies!

Carlos

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mariner 2

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Having two 10x50s is like having a third leg shorter than the others.  Same for the 7x40s - too close to the Vortex.  Don't discount the sentimental value of your "favorite binoculars".  I would want to try them out in person before doing that. 

70s are great astro binoculars and could always use an upgrade.  I did not like the Skymasters but I have no experience with Helios' either - sorry.  There are many options at your price point worth exploring.

But, if your present mount can handle it, the Barska 25x100s are at your price point.  I only returned them when I came in under budget for my mount and decided to upgrade to Oberwerks.  50-70-100 is a nice factor of 2 progression in light gathering.  A new mount would destroy your budget though - they are beastly in size.  Also a little too close to your refractor, but they have different uses, so try out a pair of 25x100s if you can.

Leaving some room in the budget for restocking/return shipping fees, if any, has really paid off for me, but it can double or triple your upfront costs.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#3 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

I have been looking for a modern 10x50 as this is my most enjoyable magnification and would be a good replacement to the Carl Zeiss Dekarem understanding that while the Dekarem is an amazing binocular, its almost 40 years old and the eye relief is not the best, besides that, its my favorite binoculars and i plan to keep it.

I found these models in UK that are very similar to the Oberwerks or Orion's Resolux that you have in the US:

Helios Lightquest HR

Helios Stellar II WP

The Helios Lightquest appear to be their branding of the modern KUO MS series; long ER and flat field.  The Stellar model I can't place; it's not a BA8/ Resolux type bino.  IMO, the MS is a more recent upgrade from the BA8 binos and currently KUO's best quality level IF Porro bino, with similar specs (other than glass used) to the ED version as sold by APM

In the 70mm size, which I've compared, the MS and MS ED perform very much the same for astro targets.  The ED version is better under the brightest daylight conditions or if you spend time on the Moon but for most astro use it doesn't matter much at all.

Rich

• KennyJ and Corcaroli78 like this

#4 Ant1

Ant1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

Hi

The Helios Lightquest appear to be their branding of the modern KUO MS series; long ER and flat field.  The Stellar model I can't place; it's not a BA8/ Resolux type bino.  IMO, the MS is a more recent upgrade from the BA8 binos and currently KUO's best quality level IF Porro bino, with similar specs (other than glass used) to the ED version as sold by APM.

The APM website says eyepieces are 7 elements in 5 groups whereas Helios is descibed as 8 elements in 5 groups.

Is that a real product difference or a typo and if a typo, are there 7 or 8 lenses?

I sure wish APM would offer a 10x50 model with more than 7° fov...

Regards,

Ant1

#5 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:15 AM

The Helios Lightquest appear to be their branding of the modern KUO MS series; long ER and flat field.  The Stellar model I can't place; it's not a BA8/ Resolux type bino.  IMO, the MS is a more recent upgrade from the BA8 binos and currently KUO's best quality level IF Porro bino, with similar specs (other than glass used) to the ED version as sold by APM

In the 70mm size, which I've compared, the MS and MS ED perform very much the same for astro targets.  The ED version is better under the brightest daylight conditions or if you spend time on the Moon but for most astro use it doesn't matter much at all.

Rich

Many thanks for the information Rich,

As I have seen this type of binocular offered in Europe under several brands (Helios, Omegon, APM) i was curios to know how this model differentiates from the BA8 models.  I am more attracted by the long ER and IF rather than the flat field and this model could be a good improvement from what I have. ED glass is not critical as it will be dedicated to astronomy

Carlos

• KennyJ likes this

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:12 AM

Carlos,

I agree with Rich V that 70mm would be my suggestion,

but you probably will  need a tripod.

edj

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#7 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

I have a pair of these Opticron 10x50s which are light and perform well https://www.opticron...ic-tga-wp-10x50

#8 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

Carlos,

I agree with Rich V that 70mm would be my suggestion,

but you probably will  need a tripod.

edj

Hi Ed,

This weekend I sold the Skymaster 15x70 (15x62 as i have read in some reviews) and I will upgrade to the better quality Helios 15x70.  It will become my main astro bino and I already have a dedicated tripod for this configuration

At some point in the future I will get that KUO MS 10x50 version, but for now I will get used to the IF of the 15x70.

Thanks!!

#9 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

Rich

For 11x70s, the APMs take some beating http://apm-telescope...item/3130343136

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics