•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nads DiOp 850 -- How do I open to remove the Intensifier tube

NV EAA
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:56 PM

Hi im trying to find out how to open this Night Vision scope I have because I eventually want to install a new intensifier tube.

It seems like I can easily remove the screws holding the ring in place. But the ring is sealed on there good with some grey sealant. I dont want to pry on the metal rings with a screw driver and damage it. Are there any special tools for telescopes I can use to open it? Also im not concerned about opening it up its past time for a new nitrogen purge. 

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed (3).jpg
  • unnamed.jpg

#2 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:57 PM

heres a picture of the lens

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed (1).jpg

#3 11769

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: TX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:45 AM

Never heard of this one. Neat. Looks like it's a clip-on scope? If so, collimation will be lost if you open it up and reassemble it, even without replacing the tube. Collimating a clip-on is a masochistic endeavor and I have only heard second hand rumors of hobbyists being able to successfully collimate a clip-on with zero issues. 

• BBQwings3 likes this

#4 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:57 AM

Are you sure the tube is a drop in replacement type?

I have an NVPS-10 that is a hard wired tube and not the drop in type. I also messed up a really good newcon optik dn42 multi opening it up and thinking it was a standard pvs-4 mx9644 Tube. A fun $500 experiment gone wrong. Salvaged some parts but lost the 85mm lens and lens mount. Kept the Russian Panoramic viewer for a project I’ll use later (that was 5 years ago....)

#5 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:05 AM

It has an Omni IV tube 

Id keep the unit intact and try to setup an afocal Mount with a telescope eyepiece. Same principle as using before a mounted rifle scope

http://landlenterprises.com/nads.htm

• BBQwings3 likes this

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:13 AM

You could try something with a camera digiscoping adapter if it has a 1/4-20 hole for mounting or rail attachment

Like this digiscoping adapter with my device mounted over an eyepiece - the adapter clamps to the eyepiece, then you position the NVD with all the adjustment mechanisms. Very sturdy as a mount. Drop it all in the telescope diagonal or focuser. If you do try it, I’d use an eyepiece with very long eye relief as rifle scopes have super long eye relief for recoil. Put some space in between the clip on and eyepiece and if you can get it to focus, maybe make up a little shroud to keep stray light out.

BC3BF835-28B0-4627-8DD5-EB69CE33E3AC_zps

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 10 June 2019 - 01:18 AM.

• BBQwings3 likes this

#7 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:43 AM

NSN 7610-01-472-3961 is the number for the manual on the NADS 850/750

maybe you could get a manual on it for more info

Pages 4-7 have a lot of part numbers for NADS 750/850

https://www.parttarg...E9-32CA0E53819B

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 10 June 2019 - 01:46 AM.

#8 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

Never heard of this one. Neat. Looks like it's a clip-on scope? If so, collimation will be lost if you open it up and reassemble it, even without replacing the tube. Collimating a clip-on is a masochistic endeavor and I have only heard second hand rumors of hobbyists being able to successfully collimate a clip-on with zero issues. 

What part actually has to be collminated? I mean its just behind a clear piece of glass. im just not understanding where the colmination will be affected. 

#9 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:01 AM

Does removing the ring and then putting it back in place actually going to affect the collmination? I mean id understand if i messed with the mirrors or something. 

#10 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:07 AM

Are you sure the tube is a drop in replacement type?

I have an NVPS-10 that is a hard wired tube and not the drop in type. I also messed up a really good newcon optik dn42 multi opening it up and thinking it was a standard pvs-4 mx9644 Tube. A fun $500 experiment gone wrong. Salvaged some parts but lost the 85mm lens and lens mount. Kept the Russian Panoramic viewer for a project I’ll use later (that was 5 years ago...

im pretty sure its hard wired im not concerned about having to solder the wires back. 

#11 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:21 AM

im pretty sure its hard wired im not concerned about having to solder the wires back. 

A gen 3 Omni IV Tube is pretty capable. S/N 21, 64 lp/mm resolution.

Maybe try afocal with a 25-30mm eyepiece. Most clip-on systems are 1x

Some devices are really difficult to get apart.

I have a set of watch repair tools, strap wrenches, small RC car repair screwdrivers and hex drivers, Allen wrenches, spanner wrench to work on my NVD’s.

The soldering is the easy part, but finding a replacement tube might not be an easy part or getting the unit apart to even get the tube out.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 10 June 2019 - 02:27 AM.

#12 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:32 AM

Is the goal to use it in a telescope or you just want to upgrade the clip-on for weapons mounting?

#13 11769

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:19 AM

What part actually has to be collminated? I mean its just behind a clear piece of glass. im just not understanding where the colmination will be affected. 

A clip-on scope is internally adjusted to present an output image that is perfectly aligned with the input imaged by the scope so when it's mounted in front of a day scope on a rifle, the aim is not shifted by any appreciable amount. That collimation adjustment is beyond a chore. Not something that should be attempted by a hobbyist. If you open it up and fiddle with the innards, expect it to never be useful as a clip-on ever again. As I said, have never heard any first hand success stories of someone accomplishing proper collimation of a clip-on after messing with it.

Would follow the advice of being content with the Omni 4 tube inside. 

#14 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:51 AM

lol its just the fact its omni 4 thats bugging me and a dead black spot in the corner left. im like I we are at omni 8 here in 2019 

#15 11769

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

lol its just the fact its omni 4 thats bugging me and a dead black spot in the corner left. im like I we are at omni 8 here in 2019 

Performance difference between Omni 4 and Omni 8 is noticeable in side by side testing, sometimes not noticeable unless one looks for very minor differences. I can hand a device with an Omni 4 tube, say it's Omni 8, and apart from maybe three people in the entire world, no one would notice a difference. 

#16 BBQwings3

BBQwings3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

Yeah the performance is pretty noticable. I've had a about 30 tubes. I like the unfilmed ones the best. Even good filmed or thin filmed dont compare. i always can see the mesh pattern on the tubes. Of course its on white walls so you can easily see it.

Does anyone have any idea how do I open the housing in the pictures??? Its just that the front ring has some type of caulking that has it kinda glued together. on

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics