•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Film - Fuji Acros II

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

https://emulsive.org...ing-autumn-2019

Hopefully as good as the original as it suggests.  Red sensitivity ?  I wouldn't hold my breath.

“The newly developed NEOPAN 100 ACROS II is an ultra-high-quality black-and-white film with ISO 100 sensitivity, with the world’s highest level of graininess, three-dimensional tone reproduction, and excellent sharpness. It is suitable for shooting in a wide range of fields, such as product photos and architecture photos, as well as long-exposure celestial and night-shot photographs.”

Post your finest examples of classic Acros on this thread!

• Eric P, Todd N and ETXer like this

#2 Acer

Acer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

That is great!  Acros was my favorite 120 film and I was pretty upset when production stopped.

#3 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

This reintroduction of Acros just about nullified much of my R&D hypering efforts of many other films that I haven't made noise about yet. lol Oh, well. Good news. It doesn't affect me but I read no mention of larger formats.

#4 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Available in 35mm and Brownie (120) formats.

Not sure if we will see it in sheets. That would be great if it was so....

#5 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Outstanding news! 

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

Looking forward ;) !

#7 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

Milky Way Mid-Rift (2012)

Pentax 67 SMC 67 200mm f/4 @ f/5.6 30 minutes exposure Fuji Acros 100 Xtol 1+1 

Milky Way Mid-Rift

• canondslr, ETXer and Miguelo like this

#8 ETXer

ETXer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

It figures... I bought a bunch of the original (both 135 and 120) when the discontinuation notice came out; I guess I'll start using it up on just about anything, now that I know I can replace it.

#9 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

It figures... I bought a bunch of the original (both 135 and 120) when the discontinuation notice came out; I guess I'll start using it up on just about anything, now that I know I can replace it.

Perhaps.  I for one will be a bit more freer burning up more rolls of my frozen stocks.  Once I have the new emulsion in hand I will be doing a side-by-side comparison and decide on which performs best and thereby which to use more freely. 

For our particular use, there may be a letdown.  The history of astrophotography is replete with reformulated films that just did not pan out.  I hope to be mistaken here.

In the meantime I've been shooting Ilford Delta 100 and FP4 Plus for fine art photography and have been quite satisfied with the results.  These are excellent emulsions for daylight work.

Runners up to Acros would be Kodak TMAX 100 and 400 and Ilford Delta 100.  They run quite a bit behind Acros in true speed at 10, 20, and 30 minute exposures, but with perseverance they could be used for astrophotography.  None have any advantage spectrally,  being mute at Ha wavelengths. If a film has red sensitivity it's an almost sure thing it would flounder in performance,  Tech Pan being a rare exception and only when hypersensitized.  

Acros, right out of the box, is the best b&w film ever made for astrophotography. Fujifilm recognized this and added this capability to its spec sheet.   Only a handful of amateur astrophotographers have successfully used it.  In a different era, say the 1980s, it would have been legend - and with no special handling.

The Great Star Cloud

• Todd N and ETXer like this

#10 pisceskidd

pisceskidd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:07 AM

That is fascinating. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics