•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Film - Fuji Acros II

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

https://emulsive.org...ing-autumn-2019

Hopefully as good as the original as it suggests.  Red sensitivity ?  I wouldn't hold my breath.

“The newly developed NEOPAN 100 ACROS II is an ultra-high-quality black-and-white film with ISO 100 sensitivity, with the world’s highest level of graininess, three-dimensional tone reproduction, and excellent sharpness. It is suitable for shooting in a wide range of fields, such as product photos and architecture photos, as well as long-exposure celestial and night-shot photographs.”

Post your finest examples of classic Acros on this thread!

• Eric P, Todd N, ETXer and 1 other like this

#2 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

That is great!  Acros was my favorite 120 film and I was pretty upset when production stopped.

#3 Todd N

Todd N

Ranger 4

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

This reintroduction of Acros just about nullified much of my R&D hypering efforts of many other films that I haven't made noise about yet. lol Oh, well. Good news. It doesn't affect me but I read no mention of larger formats.

#4 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Available in 35mm and Brownie (120) formats.

Not sure if we will see it in sheets. That would be great if it was so....

#5 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Outstanding news! 

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

Looking forward ;) !

#7 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

Milky Way Mid-Rift (2012)

Pentax 67 SMC 67 200mm f/4 @ f/5.6 30 minutes exposure Fuji Acros 100 Xtol 1+1 

Milky Way Mid-Rift

• canondslr, ETXer, Miguelo and 1 other like this

#8 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

It figures... I bought a bunch of the original (both 135 and 120) when the discontinuation notice came out; I guess I'll start using it up on just about anything, now that I know I can replace it.

#9 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

It figures... I bought a bunch of the original (both 135 and 120) when the discontinuation notice came out; I guess I'll start using it up on just about anything, now that I know I can replace it.

Perhaps.  I for one will be a bit more freer burning up more rolls of my frozen stocks.  Once I have the new emulsion in hand I will be doing a side-by-side comparison and decide on which performs best and thereby which to use more freely. 

For our particular use, there may be a letdown.  The history of astrophotography is replete with reformulated films that just did not pan out.  I hope to be mistaken here.

In the meantime I've been shooting Ilford Delta 100 and FP4 Plus for fine art photography and have been quite satisfied with the results.  These are excellent emulsions for daylight work.

Runners up to Acros would be Kodak TMAX 100 and 400 and Ilford Delta 100.  They run quite a bit behind Acros in true speed at 10, 20, and 30 minute exposures, but with perseverance they could be used for astrophotography.  None have any advantage spectrally,  being mute at Ha wavelengths. If a film has red sensitivity it's an almost sure thing it would flounder in performance,  Tech Pan being a rare exception and only when hypersensitized.  

Acros, right out of the box, is the best b&w film ever made for astrophotography. Fujifilm recognized this and added this capability to its spec sheet.   Only a handful of amateur astrophotographers have successfully used it.  In a different era, say the 1980s, it would have been legend - and with no special handling.

The Great Star Cloud

• Todd N, ETXer and j.gardavsky like this

#10 pisceskidd

pisceskidd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:07 AM

That is fascinating. 

#11 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:38 AM

Acros II spec sheet is up.  Link is in following tweet from Emulsive 

https://twitter.com/...6900598785?s=19

Acros vs Acros II spectral Response

Reciprocity looks to be identicle according to the spec sheet.   Only 1/2 stop correction out to 1000 seconds.  This is the same as the original.  

Overlapping the two spectral plots reveals what could possibly be a very fine astrofilm.  Note the "extended red" response as compared to the original.  It appears to be into the Ha spectral line.  Also note the somewhat lesser blue response.  The original Acros was very sensitive to blue reflection nebulae.  

Acros / Acros II Comparison

Edited by Nightfly, 22 November 2019 - 07:20 PM.

• Eric P, Todd N, SMigol and 1 other like this

#12 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Overlapping the two curves with the color spectrum reveals a close call with the desired Hydrogen Alpha line.  The new formula does indeed come much closer than the original.  Fair to say that it will be a very good film, especially considering how fabulous the original was. The original Acros recorded emission nebulae, but at the level of the OIII emission lines that are also prominent in nebulae. 

Peak sensitivity is in the yellow portion of the spectrum and might explain the wonderful star cloud captures this film excels at. 

New Acros II Spectrum

Rolls are becoming available at auction sites, but at extreme pricing.  I will be contacting Fujifilm for product samples for review.  This will become a great winter project. 

Edited by Nightfly, 23 November 2019 - 10:34 AM.

• SMigol likes this

#13 Todd N

Todd N

Ranger 4

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:04 PM

Rolls are becoming available at auction sites, but at extreme pricing.  I will be contacting Fujifilm for product samples for review.  This will become a great winter project. 

When is it supposed to become generally available? I thought by the fall or end of this year was to be the case.

I have a partial and a full roll of Acros in the fridge. I plan on doing comparative indoor tests. The weather in SoCal may not allow field tests for the rest of the year and into next.

#14 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

When is it supposed to become generally available? I thought by the fall or end of this year was to be the case.

I have a partial and a full roll of Acros in the fridge. I plan on doing comparative indoor tests. The weather in SoCal may not allow field tests for the rest of the year and into next.

It's available only in Japan presently.  U.S. suppliers are suppose to receive stocks of the new film come spring.  Japanese sellers cdan ship to USA, but at a significant cost to the buyer.

I may just buy a 120 roll at $28.00 shipped from Japan just to test with.  

#15 TxStars

TxStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:47 AM

It seems to be in the USA

https://www.walmart....xxoCJ1oQAvD_BwE

#16 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

It seems to be in the USA

That's a good price, but it is the old formula.  I suspect old stock prices will come down as the new film becomes available.   The last batch of Acros expired 10/2019 which is fine if cold stored.

I've contacted Fuji USA about rolls for testing and review prior to availability in the USA.  We'll see what happens.   

#17 MGAR

MGAR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Seattle

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:36 AM

Picked up a couple of rolls at Bic Camera this morning. Going to give it a try in my 5.5 Schmidt camera. $9.80 per roll and tax free. grin.gif

Cheers!

Gary

acrosII.JPG

• Nightfly, Todd N and SMigol like this

#18 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

Picked up a couple of rolls at Bic Camera this morning. Going to give it a try in my 5.5 Schmidt camera. $9.80 per roll and tax free. grin.gif

Cheers!

Gary

Please do Gary!  Nice price BTW.  A year ago I was buying a five roll pack of 120 for $23.95.  I suspect those days are over.  The new formula should be available in The States by spring.  I'm going to buy a few imported rolls for testing.  

Post 'em when you get 'em...

#19 Todd N

Todd N

Ranger 4

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

Fuji Across II is available now at Freestyle. I just got a shipment with two rolls today. I probably won't be imaging anytime soon(weather) but I will be testing it indoors and will post the results here with comparisons to the old Acros.

#20 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

I just noticed this morning that Freestyle had stock of Japanese film stocks.  Official release in the U.S. is still pending.  That being said, I just received four rolls of 120 Monday from an eBay purchase.  I will be doing tests when weather and seasons cooperate. 

I hold out more hope for this film versus the new Ektachrome.   If I want color I still have plenty of E200 in the freezer. 

#21 Todd N

Todd N

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:26 AM

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Indoor comparison of old and new Fuji Acros 100. Old stock expired 07/2016. Stored in fridge.

- Vivitar camera 50mm lens @f/5.6

- 2 & 4 minute exposures,

- Kodak D76

- 7.5 watt white light bulb and dimmer on lowest setting facing corner on tabletop. This has been    my standardized test for films full spectrum.

Reciprocity characteristics are excellent and exceeds old stock performance. It's going to perform great.

Todd

#22 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Todd,

I thought of doing such a test, but with different color LED lamps, including a longish wavelength red LED. That being said, your test is revealing!

I see more highlight contrast, but also deeper shadows. I concur with your assessment. This deserves a good deep sky test!

I plan on doing a two-camera side-by-side test of the original with the new under the dark skies here.

Stay tuned.....
  • Todd N and SMigol like this

#23 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

Summer Milky Way season will be here soon and I am looking forward to exposing the new emulsion.  In the meantime I have exposed some of the new film.  In fact I have exposed both the old and the new emulsion in a side by side test.  Both films work about equally well.  The new emulsion has weaker shadows and higher intrinsic contrast as compared to the original Acros.

The image below represents an 18 minute exposure at f/8 under the light of the Full Moon Sunday night.

I used a Pentax 67 with 45mm with the new Acros II

The film was developed in Xtol 1+1 10 minutes @ 68°

Deep Cove

Schoodic Head Acadia NP Maine 

Edited by Nightfly, 12 March 2020 - 07:47 PM.

• ETXer likes this

#24 canondslr

canondslr

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

That deserves to be printed, and placed on the wall. Beautiful image.

Acros II looks promising. Cant wait for Summer Milkyway Season.  I finally purchased a mount that can be guided. 

Thomas

#25 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:06 AM

That deserves to be printed, and placed on the wall. Beautiful image.

Acros II looks promising. Cant wait for Summer Milkyway Season.  I finally purchased a mount that can be guided. 

Thomas

I appreciate it Thomas.  Good luck with the new mount and guiding! 

The new Acros ought to do just fine for deep sky astrophotography.  I suspect it will also reveal hydrogen clouds better than the old version.  It will be interesting to see.

I was also glad the quality control was good on the manufacturing of the film.  It is finished by Ilford in the UK and is packaged just like Delta 100.  It's not Delta however. The emulsion is true Acros.  

I expect to see it officially released in the USA anytime, and hopefully the price will come down.  Either way, for what it does, it's worth it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics