•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Roll off roof - garage door rails VS v groove wheeks

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 John Downing

John Downing

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

I used the garage door rails & wheels for a 10X12 ROR a few years ago using the SkyShed plans as a guide. The plans were of a 2008(?) vintage. The rather heavy roof rolled very nicely. The one problem I had was that the wheel's axles ride freely within the mounting bracket. This caused my roof to slide to one side when the wind blew strongly. Due to the weight of the roof I had some difficulty realigning. So yes, these do allow some adjustment for rails that aren't perfectly aligned but it can cause problems. I solved this by mounting tie-downs with turnbuckles (we have 70+ mph winds there several times each winter) on all four corners to hold the roof in place when not in use. The SkyShed plans, which recommend the garage door rollers, mentions making sure the roof is centered before rolling it off. 

• tjay likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics