•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Veil Nebula First Timer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 marimbanator

marimbanator

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

Finally had the opportunity to view the Veil Nebula. Slapped on the OIII filter to my explore scientific 82 degree 30mm eyepiece and just thought Wow! So it's pretty amazing the details you can see when it's so dark and the filter makes everything else darker. Even without color it's really pretty amazing.
  • Illinois, kfiscus, havasman and 8 others like this

#2 stoest

stoest

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

Veil is in my top 5, maybe top 2 visual targets for the detail and beauty of it. The Eastern Veil, especially around the NGC 6995 area, I call it The Claw has so much detail. I was surprised how well it holds up under higher magnification which seems to bring out the detail even more.  With a good Oiii filter it's quite bright and astoundingly beautiful.

#3 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

I recall the first time I looked at Veil with an OIII, I was astounded.  From my yard the Veil is barely detectable without a filter, with filter it's an outstanding object to view.

• REC likes this

#4 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

Just saw this for the first time this morning.  Great object, I'll be back for this one many times.  Thank goodness for O-III filters.

#5 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

I tried to find it a few nights ago under my Bortle 8 skies using an Ultrablock filter. No luck. I found the stars around it, but no area of nebulosity. Is it even possible to see under Bortle 8 with a filter? Any tips?

#6 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

I've never tried in Bortle 8, but in Bortle 4-5 I see much more detail with an OIII than my UHC (similar to Ultrablock).  But if you are getting nothing with the Ultrablock you may be out of luck.  Perhaps on a very transparent night when it's at zenith. 

#7 marimbanator

marimbanator

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

So, I was in a fairly dark rural spot and it was close to two in the morning when the moon had set. That was two nights ago.
I wasn't using any sort of tracking. I just found a star chart, pointed my finder scope in the general direction and moved my scope around while looking through the eyepiece. You're going to need really low magnification since one side of it will take up most of the eyepiece. You can't see all of it at once...it's too big. If you're looking at cygnus there are the two "wings" (if you understand what I mean by that) One side has two stars that make up the wings rather than one. The veil is in-between those two stars.

Edited by marimbanator, 11 June 2019 - 07:03 PM.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

It's an amazing object in any scope but you can get the whole thing in the ST80.  The Veil is the textbook example of the value of nebula filters.

• vdog likes this

#9 erin

erin

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the tips! I will keep trying.

• flygary likes this

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, I was pretty exited too when I finally got to see it. It has been very difficult target for me in a Red zone. I had it in the 8" SCT, but the FOV was way to narrow in that scope. The only way I knew it was in the eyepiece is because the telescope "told" me it was there...lol. Finally I got to see it when I purchased a 10" Dob. I used the OIII filter in my Meade 34mm . I waited until September when it was overhead on a good transparent night. Finding that star 52 was not easy, had to pan around for it. When I finally did get it in the EP after a while, I panned over to the other wing which is brighter. No luck though with the NA nebula. I need darker skies or a black-out in the area!

• erin likes this

#11 erin

erin

Viking 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

Hi REC,

It sounds like we have similarly bright skies. I haven’t tried with my 6 inch sct plus the nebula filter yet. Worth a shot, but if it took you a 10 inch dob, then I won’t get my hopes up! I also haven’t caught the NA Nebula. Not a sign of it at all in these skies. 

#12 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

I must be quite fortunate to see 52cygni naked eye. Occasionally when I get away from local street lights you can see NA nebula naked eye. But none of these will be visible to me until at least mid August. No night in summer here...

#13 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

One year at Cherry Springs I had the use of a 25" Obsession for quite a few minutes.  I navigated the entire Cygnus Loop complex and had some great views of the eastern and western portions of the Veil Nebula and Pickering's Triangle.

https://www.noao.edu...tml/im1138.html

At Stellafane a number of years ago, some other observers and I were able to see some subtle color in NGC 6960 through John Vogt's 32" ATM Dob.

Dave Mitsky

• Deep13 likes this

#14 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

I must be quite fortunate to see 52cygni naked eye. Occasionally when I get away from local street lights you can see NA nebula naked eye. But none of these will be visible to me until at least mid August. No night in summer here...

52 Cygni is 4.2 mag, straightforward in orange/red transition skies in the 19.0 mpsas range.  With an RDF or Telrad it is a simple matter of pointing right to it.  However, transparency issues make the Veil far more challenging in town with small aperture.  If the skies are too bright to see 52 Cygni naked eye, then I wouldn't expect to catch the Veil with a filter, even with medium aperture.  The post earlier about finally seeing it with a 10" Dob and OIII with 34mm (large exit pupil) is confirmation.  10" is transitioning over into large aperture, so in deeper red zone conditions that would tend to work on the brighter strands.

#15 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:40 PM

52 Cygni is 4.2 mag, straightforward in orange/red transition skies in the 19.0 mpsas range.  With an RDF or Telrad it is a simple matter of pointing right to it.  However, transparency issues make the Veil far more challenging in town with small aperture.  If the skies are too bright to see 52 Cygni naked eye, then I wouldn't expect to catch the Veil with a filter, even with medium aperture.  The post earlier about finally seeing it with a 10" Dob and OIII with 34mm (large exit pupil) is confirmation.  10" is transitioning over into large aperture, so in deeper red zone conditions that would tend to work on the brighter strands.

I was just able to see 52 Cyg naked eye when it was overhead and on a very transparent night. I had my head covered to keep "any" stray light hitting me at the eyepiece. When I was able to see that wing, I panned around to see the other, brighter wing. With the scope in a vertical position, I had no idea where I was in the sky....lol. Now that I know what to look for, I'll give the 8" SCT a try with the same eyepiece. The FOV will be much smaller that the 10" Dob, but I will be seated in a more comfortable position and I know what I'm seeing because the computer tells me it's in the scope!

#16 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

I took a look at the Veil last night at very low power with a 50ED, but in dark skies.  Without a filter I could vaguely see the east and western components arcs at 10 and 15x, but the thin strands around 52 Cygni were more of a dull vague glow in averted vision that extended south into the brighter portion of the Witch's broom which was more visible--as were the main clumps of the other arc.  Adding a Farpoint UHC sharpened the view, rendering the fuller western arc more visible and adding Pickering's triangle to the north between the two arcs.  The eastern veil revealed more structure.  At 10x in the 6.4 deg field afforded by a 24 Pan the whole Veil was rather small, while 15x in a 16T5 Nagler provided 5.2 degrees of field--enough to frame the nebula very well while maintaining a 3.3mm exit pupil. 

I also tested an 11mm for 22x, 3.5 deg field, and 2.3mm exit pupil.  This is somewhat tight for viewing the whole Veil.  I probably should have tried the 13T6 for about 4.2 degrees, almost 19x and 2.7mm pupil, but the 16 did well enough that I didn't feel the need.  I briefly used a 5mm T6 to look at individual sections, but the ~1mm pupil was beginning to produce substantial dimming.  Perhaps something like a 7 or 9 would have been optimal for examining structure.

• JKAstro likes this

#17 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

I've never tried in Bortle 8, but in Bortle 4-5 I see much more detail with an OIII than my UHC (similar to Ultrablock).  But if you are getting nothing with the Ultrablock you may be out of luck.  Perhaps on a very transparent night when it's at zenith. 

Same Here - Bortle 4.5 to 5.0 in my backyard.  Very Cool object but the OIII filter and moonless is a must.  

Could not see it with the UHC filter.    UHC is very good for most nebula's but not this one. 

-Lauren 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics