•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking Rate Setting for Evolution Mount

beginner cassegrain Celestron planet SCT
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:19 PM

On my Star Sense Hand Control under Telescope,  there is a sub category called Tracking Rate.  Can somebody tell me if there is a default and what should this be set too?

I might of accidentally changed the setting and I am wondering if this is causing Planets to drift in my FOV?

#2 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

On my Evo, I keep it set at Sidereal, and only switch in to Solar or Lunar when needed.

The normal default setting may be no tracking at all....

• Michael Covington and NMBob like this

#3 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:27 PM

After each alignment the tracking rate is always set to Sidereal, regardless any previous changes you may have made.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• roelb and Michael Covington like this

#4 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

After each alignment the tracking rate is always set to Sidereal, regardless any previous changes you may have made.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification.  So  I have never changed this value to Solar for the Sun or Lunar for the moon.  Is there any advantage to changing from sidereal to either of these other tracking rate settings ?

Edited by sandconp, 10 June 2019 - 08:31 PM.

#5 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:25 PM

---  previous post deleted as my reply didn't make sense in regards to the question.

The only reason to use Solar is for tracking the Sun and same for Lunar and the Moon.....

Edited by TikiTom, 10 June 2019 - 10:27 PM.

#6 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification.  So  I have never changed this value to Solar for the Sun or Lunar for the moon.  Is there any advantage to changing from sidereal to either of these other tracking rate settings ?

From page 146 of The NexStar User's Guide II:

There are three tracking rates:

• Sidereal – the rate appropriate for tracking the sky’s normal motion due to Earth’s continuous rotation. This is the default setting after the successful completion of an alignment.
  • Solar – the rate appropriate for tracking the Sun’s motion through the sky. This is very close to sidereal rate, and other than during hours of direct, continuous solar observation, you will not likely notice a difference.
  • Lunar – the rate appropriate for tracking the Moon’s motion through the sky. The Moon is a fast mover, as you can easily see by noticing its location from one night to the next. If you plan on observing the Moon for several minutes, selecting lunar tracking will help to keep it centered. That said, don’t forget to return to sidereal when you move on to other objects.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• roelb and TikiTom like this

#7 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

We're using the Lunar rate at the local observatory to drive an SE mount with a heliostat mirror. It's as slow as we can get going from east to west until our special version of TheSkyX that will track at 1/2 solar rate shows up. :)

#8 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

From page 146 of The NexStar User's Guide II:

There are three tracking rates:

• Sidereal – the rate appropriate for tracking the sky’s normal motion due to Earth’s continuous rotation. This is the default setting after the successful completion of an alignment.
  • Solar – the rate appropriate for tracking the Sun’s motion through the sky. This is very close to sidereal rate, and other than during hours of direct, continuous solar observation, you will not likely notice a difference.
  • Lunar – the rate appropriate for tracking the Moon’s motion through the sky. The Moon is a fast mover, as you can easily see by noticing its location from one night to the next. If you plan on observing the Moon for several minutes, selecting lunar tracking will help to keep it centered. That said, don’t forget to return to sidereal when you move on to other objects.
Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Mike,

I have your book and have read it cover to cover but I don't recall reading this part in your book. Thanks !

#9 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Mike,

I have your book and have read it cover to cover but I don't recall reading this part in your book. Thanks !

No worries - half the time I don't remember what I put in it ;-)

• roelb, Jim4321 and NMBob like this

#10 pmch

pmch

Sputnik

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

My problem with Mike's book is that it is on the shelf at home when I need it outside in the dark.

#11 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

There is a Kindle version (added advantage of being searchable) but on most devices that will wreck your night vision...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#12 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

You just need glow-in-the-dark paper or ink.

• Michael_Swanson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, cassegrain, Celestron, planet, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics