•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

composition & nature of (inter) galactic filaments?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cloudynusr

cloudynusr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:25 PM

On 6june19, Newsweek  et al., reported on a Science just-published article on previously unknown/unseen galactic cluster radio ridge, also related to magnetic fields, and cross-referred to as "filaments".

All I'm asking youse here is: (best guess, etc., more than ok) what is the  nature and composition of these filaments? All I have gathered from wikipedia that these appear to be some sort of material observed and inferred as "lines" gravitationally or otherwise "connecting" galactic clusters (what's the "otherwise" sub-question?). I think I get that common conceptions implied in the use of the words like "lines" can only be loosely applied when trying to understand what goes on, on a scale of billions of light-years, that we can see only thru varying types of scopes and our present senses. So is that what's going on - using a word like "filament" when our ability to conceive and describe what's happening cosmologically, is stretched almost beyond our limits? We simply don't have a better way to say it as yet? Thank you.

#2 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

My guess would be that, as the filaments appear to be aligned along magnetic field lines, they would have to be ionized hydrogen clouds, HII. Very diffuse. Very common stuff in the universe...

#3 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:14 PM

I think the current answer is that the filaments are a reflection of how dark matter is distributed.

Of course that then raises the question of why dark matter is distributed like that. Not sure what the currnt view on that is.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics