•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mr Bill's Bino box Redux

ATM binoculars DIY refractor
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

Installed proper knobs on the horizontal and vertical adjusters.

Horizontal adjuster
Vertical adjuster

Started a new tube to replace the lovely focuser box. If it goes according to plan I'll be able to drop a prefocused 2" eyepiece into the right tube for wide field mono use. When I find something interesting I'll put the 1.25" eyepiece in for a binocular view. 
Focuser tube

The craft foam was an easy add to temporarily enclose the tubes while I continue to enjoy the scope in whatever configuration it happens to be. It is nice and dark in there now.
Covers

Take care,
Brent

#27 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

Just a quick update from some "testing" last night. The current merging mechanism is quite serviceable and very reliable. I used a variety of magnifications from 30X to 117X and merging required less than 30 seconds after changing eyepieces. Once merged the image remained so from zenith to horizon. Not at the top of the list, that would be replacing the tower and turning new focusers, but I still want to play with bringing those controls to the rear of the OTA.

Oh, and typical of my planning, my new short tripod is too short at the lowest setting. I won't be stargazing often below 15 degrees so I can extend the adjustable legs another 4 inches to make viewing at or near zenith more comfortable. If it effects the stability cutting a another set of crutches is a quick and simple task. They are ubiquitous in thrift stores for about $3 a pair. It's the wood parts that always take longer than I think. I need to mull over a simpler design for those.

Highlights of the evening were the regions around Cygnus at 30X and Albireo at 117X. I tried the Dumbbell at 35X and 117X but it was very faint, I wonder if that giant sky light had anything to do with that?

Thanks for reading.

Take care,

Brent

• plyscope and robertasumendi like this

#28 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

I made some progress replacing the temporary focuser box with a focuser tube. This will allow me to close the lower tube in a cleaner fashion, and reduce the minimum IPD from 66 to about 63mm.

Focuser tube

Next time out I'll turn the helical focusers to give me about 30mm of focusing range. I want to try to build the right tube focuser to be interchangeable with a prefocused holder for a 38mm SWA eyepiece. That way I can use the right tube as a finder viewing with my left eye.

Thanks for reading.

Take care,
Brent

#29 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 PM

More progress on the focuser tube today. The portion in the top of the 2.5" OD x .065" wall aluminum riser has a 17mm long section of female threads at 16TPI. The eyepiece holder is has a 40mm long matching mail thread. This will allow a usable adjustment range of about 30mm. I'm also nearly finished with a similar unit that drops into the 2" diagonal on the upper tube. A similar set works well on the 80mm binoscope.

New Focuser

It should be pretty easy to pull this unit out of the 2.5" aluminum tube and insert a 38mm SWA or similar with a prefocused adapter to use as a widefield EP/finder.

Thanks for reading.

Take care,

Brent

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, binoculars, DIY, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics