•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellar Streams/Kinematic Moving Groups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Enkidu

Enkidu

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: EU

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:54 AM

I'd like to learn more about stellar streams and possibly create an observing program around them.

This seems to be an unpopular area among observers, but I'm very curious about these "bridge objects" between open clusters and field stars. I also understand Gaia data will generate a lot of new discoveries and I would like to stay on top of things, particularly when they can be observed with modest equipment.

A few papers (sourced by Craig Crossen) are listed below. They contain references for further reading but if you know of additional / recent research or articles, I would be happy to hear from you. Private messages are also welcome. Thanks!

Stellar kinematic groups. I - The Ursa Major group
Soderblom, D. R. & Mayor, M.

Astronomical Journal 105, 226-249

The Sirius supercluster
Palous, J. & Hauck, B.

Astronomy and Astrophysics 162, 54-61

A physical study of the Ursa Major cluster
Loden, L. O.

Astronomy and Astrophysics Supplement Series 53, 33-42

• happylimpet likes this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:10 AM

I would distinguish between Stellar Streams and Kinematic Moving Groups. As I understand it, the former relate to galactic mergers and very large scale movements, whereas the latter are, as you suggest, more akin to old dispersed open clusters sharing common motion.

#3 Enkidu

Enkidu

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

You're correct, I'm interested in the latter. I've seen the term 'stellar streams' used in both contexts, so it is a bit confusing. Thanks for clarifying.

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

You're correct, I'm interested in the latter. I've seen the term 'stellar streams' used in both contexts, so it is a bit confusing. Thanks for clarifying.

Actually maybe you're right to use both terms - perhaps Ive been too strict in my definitions! Been reading about some of these groups...interesting diversion!

https://iopscience.i...1086/300465/pdf

• Enkidu likes this

#5 Enkidu

Enkidu

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:18 AM

Been reading about some of these groups...interesting diversion!

Thanks, I thought so too!

Excellent article you posted. I look forward to observing that blue straggler (HR 7419) in the Sirius supercluster.

Attached Files

#6 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

Can't open your list. 

#7 rdaniel

rdaniel

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

Try Notepad.

#8 PartlyCloudy

PartlyCloudy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

Can't open your list. 

Assuming you pulled it out of the .zip archive... I don't know MAC's very well, but if you are on Windows boxes it can be easier to read in WordPad (or whatever version of that Windows 10 has) than notepad.  Windows and Mac/Linux have a disagreement about carriage-returns and linefeeds, which can cause it to all scrunch to one line.  I typically use notepad++, but you have to get that separately. 

They can correct me, but I think you do not want the file in the _MACOSX directory:  just the first one you see when you look in the .zip file. Also, you will have to tell Windows what program to use the first time since it may not know what to do with the ".skylist" file extension.

My two cents... -Mike

Edited by PartlyCloudy, 13 June 2019 - 11:47 AM.

#9 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

I opened it in Notepad - had to adjust the width of the window to see the lines separately, but  got there in the end!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics