•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pegasus Pocket Powerbox with ASIair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

Is anyone using the PPB with the ASIair?

For those of you using the ASIair, how do you polar align? I know part of the point is to eliminate the laptop. But I love using PoleMaster - just wondering how it fits with this configuration.

Can the PPB handle the SW EQ6R Pro mount? Any special cabling required?

I'll soon have the new SWX30 focus motor from Optec I pre-ordered several weeks ago. I'm wondering how this would fit into this configuration.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

#2 aaube

aaube

Mariner 2

• Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

Yes, and it works well.  I got the PPB to feed an azeq5, an asi294pro camera (with an asi224mc as guider),

a zwo focuser motor, the asiair and a dew heater.  Power source is a 400ah battery.

Polar alignment done with a Polemaster but will try to use the asiair for this when the next firmware

allows (no beta).  I too would like to bypass the laptop.

It should handle the power requirement of your mount.  For cable, i just use the original one from SW. 

It screws in the mount, the other end that connected to the original power brick is a regular

2.1x5 mm center positive just like what the PPB uses.  Not sure if the EQ6R uses the same though.

HTH,

Alain

• Jireh likes this

#3 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

Yes, and it works well.  I got the PPB to feed an azeq5, an asi294pro camera (with an asi224mc as guider),

a zwo focuser motor, the asiair and a dew heater.  Power source is a 400ah battery.

Polar alignment done with a Polemaster but will try to use the asiair for this when the next firmware

allows (no beta).  I too would like to bypass the laptop.

It should handle the power requirement of your mount.  For cable, i just use the original one from SW. 

It screws in the mount, the other end that connected to the original power brick is a regular

2.1x5 mm center positive just like what the PPB uses.  Not sure if the EQ6R uses the same though.

HTH,

Alain

Thanks, it does seem like a nice combination. Is there supposed to be some sort of polar alignment capability in the next ASIair firmware?

#4 aaube

aaube

Mariner 2

• Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, it does seem like a nice combination. Is there supposed to be some sort of polar alignment capability in the next ASIair firmware?

There is already a beta version that support PA.  It should not be too long before we see

a stable version.

https://www.cloudyni...a-app-released/

Alain

• Jireh likes this

#5 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:26 PM

There is already a beta version that support PA.  It should not be too long before we see

a stable version.

https://www.cloudyni...a-app-released/

Alain

Looks like it may be working or may be a while. Doesn't really matter as I wouldn't mind using my laptop to polar align and then disconnect and be finished with it. Not the perfect solution but at least I would be laptop-less for the duration of the imaging session.

#6 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

Not much in terms of info on YouTube.

#7 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

Just be sure to use the included 12v to 5v converter with you ASI Air and you will be fine. I do something similar with my Azule Access 3 stick PC. Your mount should also work fine but you will not have a screw on connection for the power plug unless you special order or make your own cable. It is not necessary to use a screw on connector.

• Jireh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics