•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lightweight F4-F6 150mm/6" Newtonian OTA for Child

beginner observing outreach reflector
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:02 AM

Hello

My 10yr old currently uses a 4.5" F/4 Newtonian on a GSO SKyview Deluxe ALt/Az mount. Its pretty much the perfect scope for a child given adjustable eyepiece height, lightweight, etc other than one thing and that is aperture. I'd like to get a lightweight 6" newtonian for him that'll still work well on the GSO Skyview Deluxe (similar to a Porta 2 from Vixen).

I'd also like to keep the costs down as well

Anyone have any recommendations?

Jon

#2 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: Mid-West Coast, Michigan

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

A 150mm f5 would push that mount a bit. It'd work for low and moderate powers, and there'd be tube/tripod interference.

A 130mm f5 would work nicely, but it's not much of an aperture gain. Detectable, but not a significant upgrade.

Honestly, if you want a 6", I'd move to an f8 Dob-- it'd be much better mounted, be a nice jump up in aperture, and behave optically very differently to the 4.5" f4.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, observing, outreach, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics