•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which eye pieces to buy? I've got no clue about this

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Riga, Latvia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

So I'm planning to get a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT telescope and reading reviews and other stuff people mention eye pieces. Do I need them for that telescope or do the included ones do the job? 

Also, are there any other essential accessories I should consider purchasing?

• Sky Muse likes this

#2 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

Consider buying a different telescope.
  • gene 4181 likes this

#3 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

Consider buying a different telescope.

Any examples of better options for "go to" telescopes at the same or lower price range?

• Dynan likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Before you pile up expensive eyepieces know this:

As with any structure, the foundation of your enjoyment of this hobby is your mount. Get a good mount and you'll be happy. This is, of course, determined by your budget...which can amazingly blossom into a gargantuan beast. Be aware.

Read MUCH here on CN for info on a good beginner scope. (Also compare any deal you are thinking of with the Classified Section here. You may save money and the gear is almost always honestly presented.)

As far as your question: Look into a zoom eyepiece. Celestron, or the more expensive Baader, 12-24mm Zoom replaced many of my eyepieces when I first began the hobby. This may work for you, or may not.

You'll be amazed at the plethora of "doo-dads" you'll want/need as you go forward in the hobby. Enjoy what you have and learn it well. Then you'll know if you want to go forward...and how far down the astronomical rabbit hole you care to venture.

And Welcome to Cloudy Nights...Your source for astronomical headache cures and answers!

• Migwan likes this

#5 Pbinder

Pbinder

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

Any examples of better options for "go to" telescopes at the same or lower price range?

I would love for my friend Ed to see this!!!

#6 Pbinder

Pbinder

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

So I'm planning to get a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT telescope and reading reviews and other stuff people mention eye pieces. Do I need them for that telescope or do the included ones do the job? 

Also, are there any other essential accessories I should consider purchasing?

I bought a celestron zoom eyepiece. So versatile. Gives you several eyepieces for the cost of one. I still use zoom. Just upgraded to one 5x the price lol

• Dynan likes this

#7 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

I started with an achro on a weak mount.   If you don't get into the hobby, money saved.  Not really.  If you do, money wasted?  

If you start off used, similar money will get something more solid that you can sell for similar money if the stars don't happen to be in alignment for you. 

Zoom is the way I would start if I had to do it again. 

jd

• Dynan likes this

#8 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:28 AM

We would need to know from which vendor you would be purchasing the 130SLT, and in order to suggest other kits for the same price or less; Teleskop Service, an international dealer, for example.

The 130mm f/5 Newtonian atop the SLT mount sports a 2" focusser, for 2" eyepieces, and for superior wide-field viewing at the lower powers, for deep-sky objects and vistas.  Being a Newtonian, you may need to exercise some DIY skills to get it performing at its very best.  I know I would be.  Currently, I'm working on a Celestron 127mm "Bird Jones" reflector; great fun it is.   

Most of the outlay for a 130SLT kit goes for the SLT go-to mount, for the telescope secondly.  Thirdly, the included eyepieces will get you started, but you'll perhaps want to upgrade them in future, or in the near-future, depending.

With its 650mm focal-length, a 2x or even a 3x barlow will allow for the higher powers associated with lunar, planetary and double-star observations.  Also, a go-to mount makes reaching and enjoying those powers much easier, much more satisfying, but the Newtonian's collimation must be spot-on for those higher powers, and for sharp and pleasing images.  The atmosphere will complicate matters in addition, therefore nothing can be done about that, but at least you can control the collimation.  

Edited by Sky Muse, 12 June 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#9 SgtSluggo

SgtSluggo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

I literally just started but I would wait till you got your scope and tried it out before buying more. I would have bought something I didn't need if I hadn't waited to see what could be seen with the included equipment.
  • havasman likes this

#10 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Might of spoke ahead of myself.  That little scope might be handy.   Sticking with a zoom for first EP purchase.   You can get started without it. 

jd

#11 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

We would need to know from which vendor you would be purchasing the 130SLT, and in order to suggest other kits for the same price or less; Teleskop Service, an international dealer, for example.

The 130mm f/5 Newtonian atop the SLT mount sports a 2" focusser, for 2" eyepieces, and for superior wide-field viewing at the lower powers, for deep-sky objects and vistas.  Being a Newtonian, you may need to exercise some DIY skills to get it performing at its very best.  I know I would be.  Currently, I'm working on a Celestron 127mm "Bird Jones" reflector; great fun it is.   

Most of the outlay for a 130SLT kit goes for the SLT go-to mount, for the telescope secondly.  Thirdly, the included eyepieces will get you started, but you'll perhaps want to upgrade them in future, or in the near-future, depending.

With its 650mm focal-length, a 2x or even a 3x barlow will allow for the higher powers associated with lunar, planetary and double-star observations.  Also, a go-to mount makes reaching and enjoying those powers much easier, much more satisfying, but the Newtonian's collimation must be spot-on for those higher powers, and for sharp and pleasing images.  The atmosphere will complicate matters in addition, therefore nothing can be done about that, but at least you can control the collimation.  

Ordering it from Amazon (had the cheapest delivery to my country), here's a direct link. https://www.amazon.d...AKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Also would this 2x barlow be good enough? https://www.amazon.d...&s=ce-de&sr=1-3

#12 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

I literally just started but I would wait till you got your scope and tried it out before buying more. I would have bought something I didn't need if I hadn't waited to see what could be seen with the included equipment.

It's just that I've read people mention that the telescope doesn't have enough zoom with the included eye pieces

#13 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

Before you pile up expensive eyepieces know this:

As with any structure, the foundation of your enjoyment of this hobby is your mount. Get a good mount and you'll be happy. This is, of course, determined by your budget...which can amazingly blossom into a gargantuan beast. Be aware.

Read MUCH here on CN for info on a good beginner scope. (Also compare any deal you are thinking of with the Classified Section here. You may save money and the gear is almost always honestly presented.)

As far as your question: Look into a zoom eyepiece. Celestron, or the more expensive Baader, 12-24mm Zoom replaced many of my eyepieces when I first began the hobby. This may work for you, or may not.

You'll be amazed at the plethora of "doo-dads" you'll want/need as you go forward in the hobby. Enjoy what you have and learn it well. Then you'll know if you want to go forward...and how far down the astronomical rabbit hole you care to venture.

And Welcome to Cloudy Nights...Your source for astronomical headache cures and answers!

Thanks, will do! (Btw Celestron already seems really expensive :) )

#14 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

I bought a celestron zoom eyepiece. So versatile. Gives you several eyepieces for the cost of one. I still use zoom. Just upgraded to one 5x the price lol

Which set did you get?

#15 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

It's just that I've read people mention that the telescope doesn't have enough zoom with the included eye pieces

There are many things to look at in the sky. Beginners start with the Moon and planets, which may be bright but are actually quite small. You need about 100x magnification to see detail. If you have steady skies and a good scope, you can go up to 200x, 300x or even 500x. The scope you are thinking of buying doesn't have a steady tripod, so stick to 100x - 200x.

For Deep Sky objects, many of them are dim but quite large. This is where you go to the opposite extreme and want minimum magnification like 30-40x.

Your scope comes with a 25mm for 26x for larger objects. That is fairly low, a 12 or 15 would be a good intermediate for smaller deep sky objects.

It also comes with a 9mm for 72x for planets. So, you might want a 6mm for 108x and maybe a 4mm for 162x. If you stick with Plossl type eyepieces these small ones will be hard to use since you need to get your eye really close to them.

#16 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

There are many things to look at in the sky. Beginners start with the Moon and planets, which may be bright but are actually quite small. You need about 100x magnification to see detail. If you have steady skies and a good scope, you can go up to 200x, 300x or even 500x. The scope you are thinking of buying doesn't have a steady tripod, so stick to 100x - 200x.

For Deep Sky objects, many of them are dim but quite large. This is where you go to the opposite extreme and want minimum magnification like 30-40x.

Your scope comes with a 25mm for 26x for larger objects. That is fairly low, a 12 or 15 would be a good intermediate for smaller deep sky objects.

It also comes with a 9mm for 72x for planets. So, you might want a 6mm for 108x and maybe a 4mm for 162x. If you stick with Plossl type eyepieces these small ones will be hard to use since you need to get your eye really close to them.

So a 12 or 15, 6 and 4mm? Any specific ones? Browsing Amazon and there are tons of options with a huge variety in pricing

#17 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

So a 12 or 15, 6 and 4mm? Any specific ones? Browsing Amazon and there are tons of options with a huge variety in pricing

I'm not sure where you can buy things in Latvia.

The Celestron X-Cel are good: https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B0048JJH7Q

The Duel ED type are also good: https://www.firstlig...d-eyepiece.html

#18 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

I'm not sure where you can buy things in Latvia.

The Celestron X-Cel are good: https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B0048JJH7Q

The Duel ED type are also good: https://www.firstlig...d-eyepiece.html

This seems affordable, as the celestron 5mm was almost 90 euros + shipping on any European Amazon department http://prntscr.com/o0xwcd

#19 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

UPDATE:

So far this is what I have in cart. Anything to add/change/remove?

UnCyq5IQRhudr5N37TPk4Q.png

#20 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

Ordering it from Amazon (had the cheapest delivery to my country), here's a direct link. https://www.amazon.d...AKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Also would this 2x barlow be good enough? https://www.amazon.d...&s=ce-de&sr=1-3

The magnifications provided by the eyepieces that come with this scope are 26 and 72. These are relativley low and will not give goods views of the Moon and planets. You need a 4mm eyepiece for that. You can buy many eyepieces for the cost of a zoom. Only the more expensive zooms are worth the money.

Here are some alternative telescopes for beginners: https://www.teleskop...r-Beginner.html
In my opinion you should discover actual telescope dealers, not Amazon, and talk to them on the phone and ask them questions about accessories that you need.

Edited by HarryRik9, 12 June 2019 - 10:02 AM.

#21 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

Please try out what you are getting before going on a buying binge. No matter what you first use, the system will be able to show more than you are able to see. Get some experience in your location and learn what you will be able to observe and then you will be able to better target your purchases.

#22 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

I have too the SLTmount and, in my opinion, the best match is with the 90mm Mak-Cass.

However have to acknoweledge also the fact that the difference between a 130 and a 90mm aperture is much noticeable so, if it is your only telescope, it could be worth to make some sacrifices in term of stability.

The 130SLT is still somewhat manageable (I have a 130/650 Newtonian tube and, due to the fact that the eyepiece is on the top end, can keep the legs at minumum height gaining some stability) even if, due to its very large field of view, I would prefer a manual mount (faster to set up, faster to aim and find objects, and likely more stable).

There is also a model bundled with a 127/1500 Mak-Cass, but in my experience it is not much more stable than the Newt-bundled version.

It could be a better purchase if the lenght of optical tube is important to you (e.g.travels, storage).

As for the eyepieces, in my experience a decent, comfortable 5mm one (130x) is the best match for this kind of setup: the Paradigm 5mm (also BST 5mm, Planetary ED 5mm), a long-eye relief, superwideangle eyepiece would be my first pick (I would NEVER purchase an X-Cel LX eyepiece at 80-100€!).

#23 edvardsgra

edvardsgra

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

Everyone, thanks for the advice and tips! I decided to order the Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT + a Celestron eyepiece & filter kit and a collimation eyepiece! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics