•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI290MM and Altair GP-CAM3(290) - as good as each other?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:53 AM

Yo!

Needing an upgrade to my ASI120MM OAG guidecam, I was in the market for an ASI290MM-Mini, or equivalent - when the Altair USB3 equivalent turned up second hand at a good price, so I got it.

Problem with it as a guidecam is that it cant be binned from PHD2, or even in firecapture.

So I'm thinking of swapping things, using my ASI290MM for guide-work, and the new Altair for planetary.

Does anyone have any thoughts on their relative performance? Read noise? WIll I pay a price using the Altair rather than the ZWO?

The altair is smaller, and Im wondering if it runs hotter (smaller area to radiate heat), it seems to. And no binning for CH4 work might be annoying.

Cheers.

PS If anyone knows either

1) how to bin the Altair in PHD2 and/or firecapture

2) how to join the altair google group (it just tells me im not allowed to view it but doesnt offer to join)

https://groups.googl...um/altair-astro

I'd be grateful!!!! Super grateful for 1)!

Edited by happylimpet, 12 June 2019 - 10:34 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics