•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swayze optical problems and refiguring

mirror making
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#26 hecton

hecton

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

Good news!  The same day that I made my original post, Steven Swayze contacted me and said that my mirror was done.  He was VERY apologetic, but I waited to post this info until I actually received the mirror, and yesterday I did.  I immediately felt bad about making the post, but in all honesty, I wrote it months earlier and sat on it until I exhausted all of my patience.

The mirror looks beautiful, and I hope to have it tested locally (I’m not shipping it anywhere) or maybe build a Foucault tester and test it myself. Since the original mirror had a test report, a before and after would be great.

In conclusion, I can't help but ask, knowing what I know now, would I do it again? That's a tough question, but probably not. The mirror was good enough for what I was using it for, and if I wanted a high end mirror, I should have opened up my wallet and paid for a high end mirror.  That would be my advice.  I'm going to wind up missing well over a year of observing and IMO, it wasn’t worth it.  But of course, everyone has to answer that question for themself.

If I get a test done, I'll post the results.

Thank you to everyone!

Hector

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mirror making

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics