•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any Red Flags with this setup concept before I go and buy things?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

So I recently just moved into an observatory and looking to build up my setup to a more “permanent” configuration.

I’m looking to achieve as many ideal setups as possible without going to crazy cash wise (I know there is a turret thing available at quite a cost, etc).

Right now I mainly do wide field imaging (because it’s easy and I only have a few decent images) and planetary/solar/lunar.

The equipment I have is listed in my signature below but the setup I was looking to do is as follows:

RedCat51 Piggy Backed to the EdgeHD8
EdgeHD8 would be fitted with a Celestron OAG for guiding and imaging.
Also mounted on the EdgeHD would be my Astro-Tech Finderscope and Telrad with extra weight as required to balance the system as the finder scope weighs more than the telrad.

Orion Starshoot would be swapped out for a more powerful guide camera (ZWO 290 or 174 most likely).

What this should give me is consistent guiding if I use either scope for imaging (I’d just swap the Z6 between scopes as needed but eventually I hope to have an additional mono camera).

In addition if I decide later I want to get the 0.7x reducer for the EdgeHD8 that can be easily added and if I eventually get a Hyperstar system the RedCat can be tasked with guide duty.

I’ve been using the ZenithStar80 to guide the RedCat without issues so I’m assuming by relying on the even higher magnification scope to handle guiding I’ll continue to get a solid guide. I know I need to pick a solid method of piggybacking the scopes as the included adapter is for a basic guidescope that still sits in its box. However, is there a downside to this (beyond the ZenithStar80 isn’t in he mix - too much weight for this mount and AP).

#2 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Purchase List:
1. Piggyback mounting
2. Celestron OAG
3. ZWO guide camera

Sell List:
1. Orion Magnificent Mini Guider package

#3 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

A little bit confused. What is your imaging camera? A DSLR?

And the goal is to be able to easily switch the DSLR between the RedCat and the C8 without disturbing the guider or taking anything off the mount?

I don't see any reason this won't work. You will just need to make sure to cap whichever scope you aren't using for imaging to avoid dust getting into your imaging train. 

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

Should be fine.

I have a similar setup, C8 Edge + 80mm F5 piggy backing. I use Farpoint mounting equipment (just as good as ADM, and I have ADM too, mixed and matched with Farpoint). Everything is happy and light weight and balanced. Multiple imaging scales (F10 & F7) and of course the short small scope can guide or wide field image, etc.

Doesn't even matter what camera you're using, as long as it can be spaced right with your OAG with the longer focal length and if you're happy with overall image scale for the system so that it's reasonable and not asking for the best seeing and best guiding performance.

Very best,

#5 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:43 PM

I use Farpoint mounting equipment (just as good as ADM, and I have ADM too, mixed and matched with Farpoint). 

So you're referring to something like this?
https://farpointastr...ron-8-inch-sct/

Edited by GraySkies, 12 June 2019 - 02:43 PM.

• OpticalStructures likes this

#6 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

If you use the RedCat to guide I'd maybe suggest adding a 2x barlow for a asi290 and a 3x barlow for an asi174. As other have said, an OAG might be a better choice. If you do that, go with the Celestron because it has a much bigger prism than nearly every other OAG. 

EDIT: Oh you stated you were going to use the COAG. Nevermind then! : ) I was thinking it would have been a bit of a crime to use the RedCat just for guiding...

Edited by Kaydubbed, 12 June 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#7 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

A little bit confused. What is your imaging camera? A DSLR?

And the goal is to be able to easily switch the DSLR between the RedCat and the C8 without disturbing the guider or taking anything off the mount?

I don't see any reason this won't work. You will just need to make sure to cap whichever scope you aren't using for imaging to avoid dust getting into your imaging train. 

Currently my imaging camera is a Nikon Z6 (Mirrorless OSC)
I have a 48mm cap for the scope that doesn't have the camera, in the future I'm hopeful I'll get a filterwheel and mono camera and then I'll have both camera/scopes in operation (one shooting a narrow target while the other happily collects widefield image at the same time, possibly for a mosaic).

If you use the RedCat to guide I'd maybe suggest adding a 2x barlow for a asi290 and a 3x barlow for an asi174. As other have said, an OAG might be a better choice. If you do that, go with the Celestron because it has a much bigger prism than nearly every other OAG. 

EDIT: Oh you stated you were going to use the COAG. Nevermind then! : ) I was thinking it would have been a bit of a crime to use the RedCat just for guiding...

Guiding would always be done in this case using the ZWO with a Celestron OAG through the EdgeHD8, the ONLY time that would possibly be different is if I do hyperstar one day, because the back of the SCT would effectively be dark, at that point I'd guide with the RedCat; but that is another kettle of fish.

#8 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

in the future I'm hopeful I'll get a filterwheel and mono camera and then I'll have both camera/scopes in operation (one shooting a narrow target while the other happily collects widefield image at the same time, possibly for a mosaic).

That would be really cool! Good luck!!

#9 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

Found my first red flag... maxed out my counter weights, so I'll have to purchase a third counter weight in order to be able to successfully balance the two scope set-up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics