•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmos Wifi 90GT questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SgtSluggo

SgtSluggo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:59 PM

My understanding is that my scope is kinda NexStar and kind of not.  I thought I might get an answer on this here though.  

First when controlling the scope with my phone, it needs to re-connect every time I open my phone back up.  It's an Iphone running iOS 12 if that matters.   I am working on setting up an older iPhone 5S to only use for running the scope but want to optimize it's use.  Do I need to just keep the screen on and the phone unlocked the whole time?

Second, My mount has a single aux port.  Is there such a thing as a simple hand held control that only controls direction without using the Goto?  I would love to be able to point the scope manually using something physicial and only use the phone for GoTo?  Has anyone gotten this setup working?

Thanks!

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:25 PM

The goto handset will allow you to manually move the scope, you do not have to use the goto feature all the time. Just uset the L/R/U/D buttons to move it.

What supposidly happens it starts from A and you move the scope to B manually, the scope should determine the movement and so know where it is now aimed. The idea being that if you then decide to reuse the goto it will go to whatever is requested. Probably not greatly accurate, and at some stage you are likely to need to sync scope to an object.

Not sure how iPhones operate but they appear to hibernate or shut down apps after a time, likely to save power. Used to be an old term of "terminate and stay resident". I suspect they do something like that as in terminate the app but keep it in memory for immediate start. Androids seem to just leave everything running.

Would half guess it comes from early days when battery life was not as good, but once in the system software the action has remained. If they left apps running in the background people would complain of battery life.

#3 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

My understanding is that my scope is kinda NexStar and kind of not.  I thought I might get an answer on this here though.  

First when controlling the scope with my phone, it needs to re-connect every time I open my phone back up.  It's an Iphone running iOS 12 if that matters.   I am working on setting up an older iPhone 5S to only use for running the scope but want to optimize it's use.  Do I need to just keep the screen on and the phone unlocked the whole time?

Second, My mount has a single aux port.  Is there such a thing as a simple hand held control that only controls direction without using the Goto?  I would love to be able to point the scope manually using something physicial and only use the phone for GoTo?  Has anyone gotten this setup working?

Thanks!

Hi Sarge,

You're in the right forum - a more accurate name for this place would be "Celestron Computerized Telescopes and Mounts".  

Here is some basic info on the COSMOS GT at my website:

https://www.nexstars...MOS90GTInfo.htm

And this section applies in general:

https://www.nexstars...EndsAstroFi.htm

As sg6 notes, you can purchase NexStar+ hand control (HC), either the discontinued version 4 or the current NexStar+.  This will allow you to use the arrow buttons for manual slewing while the alignment is still performed in the SkyPortal (or SkySafari) app.  Optionally, you can forgo the app and align and run the scope with the NexStar HC.

And as sg6 notes, some versions of iOS (and Android) will put an app to sleep after a period of inactivity.  But, the mount will continue to track the sky and once you wake up your smartphone/tablet, SkyPortal/SkySafari can usually reconnect automatically.  If it does not, just tap the Connect button (not Connect and Align) and SkyPortal/SkySafari will reconnect to the mount and ask it where it is currently pointed and continue where it left off.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#4 SgtSluggo

SgtSluggo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

Thanks

I may try to find a used NexStar control.  I got my scope a little more than half price so it's hard to justify $100 on a controller. I assume I need an AZ one?

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

Any NexStar version 4 or + HC will work - you can load the appropriate alt-az firmware using the how to guides for either (version 4 or NexStar+) on this page of my website:

https://www.nexstars...om/Firmware.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics