•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8 inch upgrade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 judebox

judebox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

Hi, I have used an old 4.5 inch newtonian reflector for a few months now and have had great success with it. I was looking at jupiter yesterday but could not really see much other than a bright disk but it was still a cool sight to see, I also have looked at a few nebula like the orion and andromeda galaxy.I looked at m51 and could see very faintly the core of both galaxies. I have found a good deal on used Orion XT8 8 inch dobsonian for around 300 euro and am really thinking of getting the upgrade. If im correct I think it is 4x the light gathering power than my current one. Will this give me a good boost in power for galaxies like m51 and nebulas and planets? I'm using a celestron 24mm-8mm lens and am hoping its enough for jupiter.

#2 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I have used an old 4.5 inch newtonian reflector for a few months now and have had great success with it. I was looking at jupiter yesterday but could not really see much other than a bright disk but it was still a cool sight to see, I also have looked at a few nebula like the orion and andromeda galaxy.I looked at m51 and could see very faintly the core of both galaxies. I have found a good deal on used Orion XT8 8 inch dobsonian for around 300 euro and am really thinking of getting the upgrade. If im correct I think it is 4x the light gathering power than my current one. Will this give me a good boost in power for galaxies like m51 and nebulas and planets? I'm using a celestron 24mm-8mm lens and am hoping its enough for jupiter.

8 inch is a monster improvement, will give you almost twice the resolution on the Moon and the planets and almost 4x the light gathering power. Go for it, seriously.

M51 will be nice under really dark skies, showpiece nebulas, globs and planets will be great, as well as open clusters. 

8in will be 'wow' after 4.5 for quite some time. I went 5 to 8 and it was...wow indeed.

Then i bought 4in APO to compliment it and it was a different kind of wow...

Edited by BGazing, 12 June 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#3 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like your 4.5 inch may be out of collimation. You should be able to see more than a “bright disk” for Jupiter. You should see bands and the red spot with a scope that size. 

• Vondragonnoggin and BFaucett like this

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

I went from a 4.5" to an 8". It was a total game changer.

M13!!!!! WWOOOWOWOWOWWW!!!!

#5 Star Geezer

Star Geezer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lat. 38º42'N Long. 104º42'W

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

Yes, the XT8 is a big step up. I have mostly viewed M13 with the low power scopes. Last week, I had the XT8 out and opened M13 up at 300x magnification. To have a globular cluster more then fill the field of view was insane. I could see contrasting stars against the core.

Edited by Star Geezer, 12 June 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#6 judebox

judebox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the input. Ive purchased it now so i cant wait for that. Regarding the collimation the resoloution and focus seem quite sharp when I point it at a hill in daytime so it may have been bad seeing conditions because it was quite close to the horizon too. My brother said he saw the great spot with it a few years back so maybe you are right

#7 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

My 8" Orion is my favorite. Easy to move/setup/use. Enjoy it.

Myk

#8 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

I'm using a celestron 24mm-8mm lens and am hoping its enough for jupiter.

Congratulations on the XT8. On nights with good seeing you'll be able to exceed the 150x the zoom will give you. You may want to add an eyepiece or get a 2x barlow. You should be able to use magnifications >200x under good conditions.

#9 judebox

judebox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Congratulations on the XT8. On nights with good seeing you'll be able to exceed the 150x the zoom will give you. You may want to add an eyepiece or get a 2x barlow. You should be able to use magnifications >200x under good conditions.

I have a 2x barlow but im not sure if its any good it says "datyson" on it.

#10 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

• Loc: Rye, NH

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

Hey Jude,

An XT8 would go about 1.4 magnitudes deeper than the scope you are using - that is a nice jump, and XT8's are really good all-around telescopes. One note:  if I am doing the conversion right, 300 Euros is around $337 US dollars. That's pretty expensive for a used XT8. I would think you would be looking at more like 230-240 Euros for a good used scope. You can get a new one here in the US for $400.

#11 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

• Loc: Rye, NH

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

Here's the GSO version of the XT8 for 330 Euros new:  https://www.teleskop...rd-focuser.html

#12 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

Yes, the xt8will be a BIG upgrade.

Your Celestron zoom will give you 50-150x in that scope. I have an xt8 and a celestron zoom. You will get a much better view of Jupiter with that scope.

If budget is tight, I would recommend you add a 32mm plossl eyepiece for low power wide view.

If you have the budget, instead of the Plossl, get an Orion Q70 38 mm for low power wide view.

#13 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

I have a 2x barlow but im not sure if its any good it says "datyson" on it.

I have a Datyon 2x Barlow. Been using it for years in my XT8.

#14 judebox

judebox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

Here's the GSO version of the XT8 for 330 Euros new:  https://www.teleskop...rd-focuser.html

Hey Jude,

An XT8 would go about 1.4 magnitudes deeper than the scope you are using - that is a nice jump, and XT8's are really good all-around telescopes. One note:  if I am doing the conversion right, 300 Euros is around $337 US dollars. That's pretty expensive for a used XT8. I would think you would be looking at more like 230-240 Euros for a good used scope. You can get a new one here in the US for $400.

Hi, it was 230 pounds with an uknown amount of shipping ( he is yet to get back to me) so purchasing a different one instead is still an option however the link you sent me seems to say 395 euro without shipping

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics