•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Method for Determining Focal Length w/ Micro Guide Eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

The Celestron Micro Guide Eyepiece can be used to determine the effective focal length of a telescope. This could be helpful when using a binoviewer with a catadioptric telescope. With an SCT the focal length varies with the amount of back-focus required.

Thanks to terraClarke for bringing this eyepiece back to my attention. I had forgotten the reference for using the eyepiece to determine the focal length of a telescope. Looking at my written copy of the eyepiece manual (THE CELESTRON MICRO GUIDE EYEPIECE #94171), the formula for telescope focal length is:

• f = 82506 ÷ ( t* x cos δ) 
        where
        t* =  time in seconds for a star's passage across the entire eyepiece scale (0 to 60) with tracking off
        δ = declination of the star in degrees

This could be used in determining the focal length of a telescope when operating with a binoviewer. One could place the Micro Guide eyepiece on one side of the binoviewer and cap the other eyepiece. I'd like to give this a try at next opportunity, using the Micro Guide eyepiece with my WO BV and Celestron-11. It appears that the manual for this eyepiece can be obtained from Astronomics. According to the manual, this procedure should be used with all accessories in place - such as diagonal, Barlow lens, adapters, etc. Here's a screen-shot of the reticle for the eyepiece:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 4.54.26 PM.png

Beast Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustler46, 12 June 2019 - 07:03 PM.

#2 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:30 AM

The Celestron Micro Guide Eyepiece can be used to determine the effective focal length of a telescope. This could be helpful when using a binoviewer with a catadioptric telescope. With an SCT the focal length varies with the amount of back-focus required.

Thanks to terraClarke for bringing this eyepiece back to my attention. I had forgotten the reference for using the eyepiece to determine the focal length of a telescope. Looking at my written copy of the eyepiece manual (THE CELESTRON MICRO GUIDE EYEPIECE #94171), the formula for telescope focal length is:

• f = 82506 ÷ ( t* x cos δ) 
        where
        t* =  time in seconds for a star's passage across the entire eyepiece scale (0 to 60) with tracking off
        δ = declination of the star in degrees

This could be used in determining the focal length of a telescope when operating with a binoviewer. One could place the Micro Guide eyepiece on one side of the binoviewer and cap the other eyepiece. I'd like to give this a try at next opportunity, using the Micro Guide eyepiece with my WO BV and Celestron-11. It appears that the manual for this eyepiece can be obtained from Astronomics. According to the manual, this procedure should be used with all accessories in place - such as diagonal, Barlow lens, adapters, etc. 

Tonight I tried this method on my Celestron-11 and William optics binoviewer using Arcturus as my target.

• This star has a declination (according to SkySafari) of +19°11' 5" (19.18°).
  • I measured 7 passages of the star from 0 to 60 on the scale and found an average of 27.62 seconds, with a standard deviation of 0.1169 seconds.
  • So

f = 82506 ÷ ( t* x cos δ) = 82506 ÷ (27.62 x cos19.18°) ) = 82506 ÷ (27.62 x 0.9445)
    f = 3163 mm

• This gives a focal ratio of 3163 ÷ 279. [11-inches = 279 mm.]
    f/11.34

I believe the optical path with my binoviewer is around 217 mm:

• SCT straight through eyepiece holder - 45mm
  • Baader T2 prism diagonal - 67mm
  • RAFCamera T2 to BV adapter 4.5mm
  • WO Binoviewer - 100 mm

According CN forum member Eddgie for every mm in excess of 100mm back focus there is an addition of 3.1mm in focal length - see reply #8 in this thread. So in my case there is 117 mm of back focus beyond 100 mm. His rule predicts that would add 363 mm to the C-11's focal length. This results in a focal length of 2800 + 363 = 3163 mm. The fact that his formula predicts exactly what I measured gives me confidence the Eddgie knows what he's talking about when it comes to SCT optics.

So kudos to Eddgie!

I must mention that there might be a slight error in my measurements since the star wasn't exactly focused. This was necessary since I don't have an illuminator for the Micro Guide Eyepiece's reticule. So a slightly out of focus star expands to make the reticule markings visible. This eyepiece was given to me by Hardin Optical Company when I was working there. Since it was missing the illuminator, it couldn't be sold. So I was happy to have it. I could fashion a simple red LED light or buy a screw in illuminator for $30.

When making the measurements I found it useful to have both eyepieces uncapped. The Micro Guide Eyepiece at 12.5 mm (40° apparent FOV) gives 253X (0.16° actual FOV). The WO 20 mm eyepiece on the other side gives a wider FOV at 158X (~ 0.38°). So if I lose the star in the guide eyepiece, it can be re-centered with the WO eyepiece.

Edited by Rustler46, 15 June 2019 - 02:37 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics