•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autocollimator - are they useful and accurate?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

As you can see from my sight I have a few reflector type scopes. My question is if an autocollimator would be ideal for me and would give better results than a Cheshire and laser. I generally align the secondary with a laser, and use a Cheshire to finish up. Would an autocollimator give a more accurate result? If so what would you recommend? Thanks.

#2 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:20 PM

Depends on if you're using the scope's for imaging, visual it's been know to bit over kill in the general collimation school.

If using a Balow'd laser to finish up with you're about as close need to be for commercial mirrors. 

There's no harm in learning how to use them and why you'd use one.

Best reference material would be from Catseye .

here's a link to his site

.https://www.catseyecollimation.com/

personally when I think I'm pretty much set, I'll drop mine in and check my work, generally a tweak just for luck, ya know?

Surf his site for "how to's" and "why's"

Another great training asset is Vic Menard's book, explanation is 98% of collimation.

Available on Catseye site. 

#3 25585

Soyuz

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

"Auto" they are not!

• psandelle likes this

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

When I had a16” Starmaster, I found my Catseye autocollimator especially useful for planetary viewing, especially Jupiter and Saturn. I now mostly image deep sky and with an F3.9 newt and never bother with the autocollimator. That said, if I were to ever image planets with a long focal length newt, I’ll definitely use an autocollimator.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics