•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Lobster's Tale...

art astrophotography dso imaging reflector
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Here we have detail of NGC 6357 from Suburban Melbourne, Australia.

We have some truly bizarre shaped DSO's in the southern Hemisphere. This one's known as the "Lobster Nebula". shocked.gif

A very challenging to process too- being a precision balancing act rendering nebulous gas & the fine details...

26x600 Ha 3nm
43x600 O3 3nm
10x600S2 3nm
30x120 ea RG&B

Cataloged as NGC 6357, the Lobster Nebula houses the open star cluster Pismis 24 near its centre, a home to unusually bright and massive stars.
The overall blue glow near the inner star forming region results from the emission of ionised hydrogen gas.

The surrounding nebula, holds a complex tapestry of gas, dark dust, stars still forming, and newly born stars.

The intricate patterns are caused by complex interactions between interstellar winds, radiation pressures, magnetic fields, and gravity.

NGC 6357 spans about 400 light years and lies about 8,000 light years away toward the constellation of the Scorpion. (apod)

Kinda looks like Deep Space 9 too! smile.gif

Thanks for looking,

C&C welcome

Attached Thumbnails

• 6357_iis.jpg
  • main-qimg-80df0455ce89240a673dc981a17d2ad4-c.jpg

• noodle, Joe F Gafford, jim kuhns and 21 others like this

#2 mike8888

mike8888

Viking 1

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

That is one of the most impressive nebula’s I’ve seen! And what a masterful job you did balancing the details and color! Love these southern sky DSO’s. Thanks for sharing.

• Andy01 likes this

#3 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

That is one heck of a nebula! Amazing job.
  • Andy01 likes this

#4 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

That is one of the most impressive nebula’s I’ve seen! And what a masterful job you did balancing the details and color! Love these southern sky DSO’s. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mike! One day you'll just have to come downunder and see some of these Southern treasures for yourself smile.gif  cheers!

That is one heck of a nebula! Amazing job.

Cheers Jon, it's a wacky looking thing alright, so glad you enjoyed the view! smile.gif

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

It kind of looks like DS9 exploded! Wow!

#6 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

I'm jealous: this object barely clears the roof of my neighbor's house! I was able to get a few hours time on it, but only have a narrow gap between buildings in which to shoot it. Great job, and I wish I could see it from your location!

#7 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:10 AM

It kind of looks like DS9 exploded! Wow!

Yep, there's Klingons on the Starboard bow! lol.gif

I'm jealous: this object barely clears the roof of my neighbor's house! I was able to get a few hours time on it, but only have a narrow gap between buildings in which to shoot it. Great job, and I wish I could see it from your location!

Lol cheers, I'll have to invite you all to Oz for Astro tours laugh.gif

#8 Atik Cameras

Atik Cameras

Atik Cameras

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

Looks like the whole area is on fire! A very impressive image! 

Be sure to enter it into the QSI imaging competition  https://qsimaging.co...20-competition/

Vince :)

#9 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

If you like oversaturated garish images this is awesome

Edited by terry59, 17 June 2019 - 07:17 AM.

#10 Alfredo Beltran

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• Loc: Bogota, Colombia

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

Simply amazing!!!!!

Congratulations in such an image!

#11 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

Looks like the whole area is on fire! A very impressive image! 

Be sure to enter it into the QSI imaging competition  https://qsimaging.co...20-competition/

Vince smile.gif

Thanks Vince - I'll be sure to do that :)

If you like oversaturated garish images this is awesome

Thanks Terry, lol - if you liked that one then you're gonna love this one here  lol.gif 

Simply amazing!!!!!

Congratulations in such an image!

Cheers Alfredo - thanks for the nice feedback! waytogo.gif

#12 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:42 AM

Outstanding image Andy! Maybe another APOD??

Mike

#13 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

I like the colors and structures in this shot and it's a very effective, near awe-inspiring image. waytogo.gif

However, the large-sized image has details that almost look like they have been manipulated with something like a brush tool in Photoshop. Up close it looks more like a painting done with heavy oils using a stiff brush stroke. It could certainly be called fine art, but I don't know whether an effect like that could be done without heavy manipulation in a program like Photoshop. There is certainly nothing wrong in creating or offering an image like this, it's very pretty but perhaps more of a striking, stylistic interpretation than something that would fall within the realm of traditional astrophotography.

That said, it's certain okay to "Think Different©" and I know that some of my images take on a certain degree of artistic license (or maybe just "license" without the art wink.gif ).

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not accusing the OP of fakery or of misrepresenting his work. I'm just offering an observation and maybe wondering how that effect was created. In fact, since the OP has been kind enough to provided a high-resolution copy of the image it's apparent that he isn't trying to put anything over on anyone.

Certainly, however, it's a nice work.

#14 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

Fantastic image - great shot.

• Andy01 likes this

#15 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:31 AM

I like the colors and structures in this shot and it's a very effective, near awe-inspiring image. waytogo.gif

However, the large-sized image has details that almost look like they have been manipulated with something like a brush tool in Photoshop. Up close it looks more like a painting done with heavy oils using a stiff brush stroke. It could certainly be called fine art, but I don't know whether an effect like that could be done without heavy manipulation in a program like Photoshop. There is certainly nothing wrong in creating or offering an image like this, it's very pretty but perhaps more of a striking, stylistic interpretation than something that would fall within the realm of traditional astrophotography.

That said, it's certain okay to "Think Different©" and I know that some of my images take on a certain degree of artistic license (or maybe just "license" without the art wink.gif ).

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not accusing the OP of fakery or of misrepresenting his work. I'm just offering an observation and maybe wondering how that effect was created. In fact, since the OP has been kind enough to provided a high-resolution copy of the image it's apparent that he isn't trying to put anything over on anyone.

Certainly, however, it's a nice work.

Hi James. As you can see I do a lot of post production on my images.

That said, it's never to falsify the content, only to maximise the detail & signal present, bearing in mind I'm shooting from a red zone so that presents it's own challenges.

This one had stars removed from each master filter stack then Nik filters were used to emphasise tonality & contrast. Balancing where possible the softer gaseous nature of the image vs. the harder shock fronts present from the protostar cocoons. smile.gif

I'm also a professional photographer by day, and have rightly been accused of being a bit artistic in my interpretation of various DSO's  - which I'm comfortable with lol.gif

Thanks for your considered feedback! waytogo.gif

Outstanding image Andy! Maybe another APOD??

Mike

Cheers Mike - Apods are always welcome but never expected! smile.gif

Fantastic image - great shot.

Thanks very much Jim waytogo.gif

Edited by Andy01, 24 June 2019 - 12:55 AM.

• james7ca likes this

#16 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:32 AM

Andy, thanks for the explanation.

So, were all of these effects created more-or-less automatically by filters (any one in particular, among those within the Nik set)? What I mean is did you apply any brush strokes or manual, pixel-level editing of the details? The odd thing is that at full-scale I don't see any of the more common types of camera noise, just something that looks more like brush strokes to blend the pixels and to add fine detail. At smaller scales the image looks fairly normal in terms of structures and detail, but at larger sizes it has a very unusual appearance.

No desire for criticism here, I'm just wondering what went into making the image. I'm not expecting a step-by-step explanation, just some more hints as to what was actually done.

Edited by james7ca, 24 June 2019 - 01:44 AM.

#17 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

Hi James,
No brushes etc were used at all - so the dataset remains as is.
Which filters were used?
Nik Silver FX Pro for contrast & structure adjustments on the 3 mono filter masters.
Nik Tonal contrast & contrast colour range for colour adjustments on the modified HST palette stacked layers.
Topaz for Final N/R & sharpening.
Hope that’s useful 😊
Cheers from Downunder!
  • james7ca likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, astrophotography, dso, imaging, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics