•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Lobster's Tale...

art astrophotography dso imaging reflector
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Here we have detail of NGC 6357 from Suburban Melbourne, Australia.

We have some truly bizarre shaped DSO's in the southern Hemisphere. This one's known as the "Lobster Nebula". shocked.gif

A very challenging to process too- being a precision balancing act rendering nebulous gas & the fine details...

26x600 Ha 3nm
43x600 O3 3nm
10x600S2 3nm
30x120 ea RG&B

Cataloged as NGC 6357, the Lobster Nebula houses the open star cluster Pismis 24 near its centre, a home to unusually bright and massive stars.
The overall blue glow near the inner star forming region results from the emission of ionised hydrogen gas.

The surrounding nebula, holds a complex tapestry of gas, dark dust, stars still forming, and newly born stars.

The intricate patterns are caused by complex interactions between interstellar winds, radiation pressures, magnetic fields, and gravity.

NGC 6357 spans about 400 light years and lies about 8,000 light years away toward the constellation of the Scorpion. (apod)

Kinda looks like Deep Space 9 too! smile.gif

Thanks for looking,

C&C welcome

Attached Thumbnails

• 6357_iis.jpg
  • main-qimg-80df0455ce89240a673dc981a17d2ad4-c.jpg

• noodle, jim kuhns, psandelle and 9 others like this

#2 mike8888

mike8888

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 PM

That is one of the most impressive nebula’s I’ve seen! And what a masterful job you did balancing the details and color! Love these southern sky DSO’s. Thanks for sharing.

• Andy01 likes this

#3 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

That is one heck of a nebula! Amazing job.
  • Andy01 likes this

#4 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

That is one of the most impressive nebula’s I’ve seen! And what a masterful job you did balancing the details and color! Love these southern sky DSO’s. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mike! One day you'll just have to come downunder and see some of these Southern treasures for yourself smile.gif  cheers!

That is one heck of a nebula! Amazing job.

Cheers Jon, it's a wacky looking thing alright, so glad you enjoyed the view! smile.gif

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted Today, 02:08 PM

It kind of looks like DS9 exploded! Wow!

#6 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

I'm jealous: this object barely clears the roof of my neighbor's house! I was able to get a few hours time on it, but only have a narrow gap between buildings in which to shoot it. Great job, and I wish I could see it from your location!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, astrophotography, dso, imaging, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics