•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hortensius domes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillHarris

BillHarris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

With the sunrise line near 32*W, the Lunar domes between Hortensius,Milichius and T.Mayer were well-placed for observation. Initially high cirrus clouds gave a foggy image, but these clouds cleared and the seeing was steady.

Using a Questar 3.5 at 200x and an estimated 300x, I was able to easily see domes around each of the three craters.

Tomorrow, if the clear weather holds, we should see a wonderful sunrise over Aristarchus. Stay tuned.
  • Paul Morow, astrochef, NorthernlatAK and 1 other like this

#2 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:40 PM

My goal tonight is the domes. I need to wait for sun to be low enough for some contrast. And hopefully smoke won't interfere. Got some fires not too far from where I am in alaska. Sunset isn't until 11:30 or so. I'll wait 2 hrs and check it out with similar mags in an 8" dob. Hesiodus A is my other goal. Love the bullseye!

#3 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:12 AM

Oh well, smoke and fog foiled me! Look forward to your aristarchus report. Another fave of mine, especially the plateu and valley and olive color, etc...

#4 BillHarris

BillHarris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

No photos from last night, but here is another image showing the "Sea of Islands" field of domes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190613_095923.png

• Kenny V. and Greg_74 like this

#5 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

No photos from last night, but here is another image showing the "Sea of Islands" field of domes.

Wow! I was not aware of all those others there, only the hortensius group. Thanks for that. I'll have to wait until next time, whenever that may be. New goal for me!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics