•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WO Bino IPD tension too loose

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 epenna

epenna

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:57 PM

Even though I am only using lightweight plossls, my 10 year old WO binos have started to sag.

Before I start taking it apart, has anyone has experience tightening the IPD tension? 

E

#2 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:11 AM

Hello,

thats one of the problems of all China made binoviewers (over the time they loose tension for IPD, or they already comes new to end users with tension IPD problem).

To adjust tension, you have to remove plastic circle from middle front.

Well, its actually problem to remove it without damage it, because eyepiece holders dont allow it to remove (one more problem).

When plastic circle is removed, then you will see very tiny minus screws, which controls rotation of metal plate. Dont be suprised that:

1. these screws are broken already
2. that you broke these screws even if they are ok, because they are tiny, and not good quality made

3. some screw is missing

If you sucess unscrew them, then rotate metal plate and adjust tension you want, and then screw screws back, and put plastic cover back.

Finish.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards
Denis

Edited by denis0007dl, 13 June 2019 - 03:22 AM.

#3 epenna

epenna

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

Dear Denis,

Thanks for the instructions. Make me wish they just had a set screw like the denks.

Do you have any advice for removing the plastic disk? Is it just a thin blade under it and trying to pry it off?

thanks again, 

E

#4 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:44 PM

You are welcome.

Yep, just use thin blade between plastic and metal, because plastic cap is glued only.

Edited by denis0007dl, 13 June 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#5 epenna

epenna

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:30 PM

Hey Denis,

Thanks for the advice. I did the repair, had no problems (the plastic disk popped off easily, and I took it very carefully with the small screws) and tightened the tension.

I did not have the right tool, so I only tightened it as much as I could, but if it loosens up again, I'll know how to fix it. 

Just a note to anyone else trying this: the black disk is the entire disk, including the IPD scale... not just the center circle.

E

#6 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:22 AM

Hey Denis,

Thanks for the advice. I did the repair, had no problems (the plastic disk popped off easily, and I took it very carefully with the small screws) and tightened the tension.

I did not have the right tool, so I only tightened it as much as I could, but if it loosens up again, I'll know how to fix it. 

Just a note to anyone else trying this: the black disk is the entire disk, including the IPD scale... not just the center circle.

E

Thats great to heard it you did job sucessfully waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics