•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6357 War and Peace Pebula

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:27 AM

Another Ha image from my Rasa 8!  This was my longest integration yet, 3.7 hours over two nights.  First off, this is an incredibly low object for Indiana skies.  It baaarely rises above my neighbor's roofs...I have to shoot between two houses to even image it.  I have a window of about 90- minutes where this happens, just past the neighbors' tree and the other neighbors roof.  Normally this time of year atmospheric fog or haze would obscure this object.  But on the first night conditions were excellent...the sky was so blue I call it 'California Blue Skies'.  Unfortunately in swapping out my canon M50 for the 1600MM, I got a space caught beneath the camera adapter plate.  On that first night the nebula was in sharp focus, however, the stars on the edges were donuts!  Arrrgh.  So i imaged it the second night, this time with perfect stars...but haze obscured most of the sky.  Fortunately, I was able to combine both night's efforts into APP, treating the 2 files as a mosaic.  APP blended the two nights' data into one nebula and made the nebula itself smoother.  I extracted the surrounding starfield and smoothed that with Camera Raw Noise Reduction, then overlapped it and blended the nebula into it.  Two separate layers, one Screen and the other Overlay boosted the detail in the nebula without enhancing the noise.

get.jpg?insecure

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6357 Version 4 CN.jpg

• psandelle, rigel123, nicknacknock and 5 others like this

#2 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:28 AM

And just to show you how LOOOW this object is from my location, check out the neighbors' roofline.  That's the roof and gutter right below the object.

Attached Thumbnails

• Neighbors roof.jpg

Edited by APshooter, 13 June 2019 - 02:28 AM.

#3 Sven_Bortle5

Sven_Bortle5

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf, Germany

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

Looks really cool and it's quite faint as well. If I'd try to Photograph anything that low, I'd collect all the lights of a nearby airport. wink.gif 

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

Nicely done (especially under such trying circumstances)! Looks like it's time to tear that neighbor's house down "in the interests of science!"

Paul

• mike8888 likes this

#5 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Extremely well done under these circumstances!

That came out very well.

So APP really helped out, great stuff!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics