•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Removing the Explore Scientific focuser

refractor accessories
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Milky420

Milky420

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:14 AM

Hey guys! I picked up an ed127 and the focuser is TERRIBLE. I decided to pickup a moonlight focuser, but I'm having a problem. I can't remove the old focuser.

I picked up a strap wrench and I couldn't get it to budge.

Any help or ideas would be greatly welcomed. I got a clear sky tonight and my opt triad filter arrived! Super pumped!

Thanks!

#2 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

HI...there was a forum topic on this exact issue just in the last few days......hang on and I will track it down.....

Here you go:

Tricks of the Trade - Old Screw on Focuser Removal
Started by BarrySimon615, 6/13/19, 02:02 PM

Mike

Edited by msl615, 14 June 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#3 Milky420

Milky420

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Thanks Mike. Sorry to waste anyone's time.

Have a great day!

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

You could ask Moonlite. I'm sure they have dealt with the issue.

#5 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

No problem....removing these focusers can be a real challenge if you are worried about damaging the tube, paint, etc. 

Keep us posted on what worked.....always looking for solutions and ideas to try!

Good luck,

Mike

#6 terrypaula

terrypaula

Ranger 4

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

I changed the focuser on my ed102 over to the es hex focuser.  I contacted ES on how to remove and replace it.  First they said it couldn't be done. Because they were different diameters.  I insisted the saying the two focuser were the same size and they finally told me how to achieve the change over.

To remove a focuser on an ES you need to warm the joints up a little bit they use some kind of tarry substance inside to maintain the integrity of the scope and focuser.  Don't use anything that exposes anything to the direct heat source.  I used a heat gun on a low heat setting held at a safe distance just enough to soften the compound they use enough to be able to unscrew it from the the main tube.  They did finally offer to do it for me too, for a nominal fee and after doing it myself the next time I think I'll have the factory techs replace it.

Even though I like the optics of the es102 I don't believe, because of the junky 2-speed focusers, I will  not be buying another ES telescope.  I might be forced to be one of those Williams guys.  You would figure paying over $1k for a telescope that it would come with better hardware.  I really hate to say this but I'm not the first one to complain about it to ES or to replace the focuser on an ES telescope either.  I have tightened the shims on the standard focuser to stop the flex it, inherently to the focuser and I can say for a fact it takes more then the eighth of a full turn they tell you in the ES White Paper.  My focuser I had to tighten the shims almost a half turn and the focuser still had flex to it.  But I didn't dare tighten it any more then that I was afraid I'd do damage or scratch a machined, painted surface

When a white paper is published it's a nice way of saying they messed up and here's how to fix it or not... 

I'm not trying to be a smart Alec either

• leviathan, aneeg and Milky420 like this

#7 Milky420

Milky420

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for your help. After a few hours of heating this thing and trying to remove with a strap wrench, I'm handing in the towel. I'm scratching up my scope, it's just not worth the hassle.

Time to return my moonlite. What a headache this has been. I def won't be buying another explore scientific scope if they are all like this.

Thanks everyone.

#8 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:56 PM

They are not all like this.  I suggest you contact Kent at ES technical support on Monday, before you return the Moonlite.  I'm sure they replace focusers that get damaged on a regular basis.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 14 June 2019 - 08:57 PM.

#9 Tonester

Tonester

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:05 PM

Did you end up getting the focuser off? Im in the same boat. Bought  moonlite focuser as a replacement for my ES ED127 FCD100 stock focuser and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. After speaking to explore scientific,  I used a heat gun and strap wrench as recommended. After 2 hours of heating and wrenching to no avail, the strap wrench broke (Harbor freight special). I went and bought (2) new strap wrenches from Lowes, 1  to hold it steady and the other to crank the other direction. No success. Whatever they use to glue this focuser on is like cement. There is nothing else that can be done to get this off besides attaching to a machine and cranking it off.

If anyone has any advice that would be great. I would imagine replacing focusers is common practice and the fact that  they would use a glue that would make it impossible to do is a lack of foresight. Im just so frustrated. $800 focuser and I cant even put it on my scope. I know Im preaching to the choir here so thanks for listening lol.gif .

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191208_132026.jpg

Edited by Tonester, 09 December 2019 - 10:36 AM.

#10 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

Call Kent at ES.  Don't give up.  They might have you remove the optics and send it in.

#11 NWAAstronomer

NWAAstronomer

Vendor (Explore Scientific)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

Some visual backs come off easy, other are hard to get loose.

The procedure outlined is correct: heat gun with indirect heat, two quality strap wrenches, time, and force. Sometimes a lot of force.

They were glued in to keep them from unscrewing. However, too much of a good time can be a problem.

This is a known issue and the factory is aware of it; however, that doesn't do anything for all the scopes that already exist.

We had one come in two months ago that we could not get off. So we replaced the telescope. 

If ANYONE has a problem with ANY Explore Scientific production, IMMEDIATELY call us (866-252-3811), email (service@explorescientific.com), or open a case in our customer service portal (https://explorescien...upportsync.com/).

We get plenty of call because of the huge line of products we have in addition to the high-end telescopes -- so if you don't get an answer, leave a message or use one of the other contact points.

Kent Marts

Customer Service

Explore Scientific

• OneGear likes this

#12 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:05 PM

Does this apply to the ES AR 127 also?

Arne

#13 Tonester

Tonester

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:58 PM

Some visual backs come off easy, other are hard to get loose.

The procedure outlined is correct: heat gun with indirect heat, two quality strap wrenches, time, and force. Sometimes a lot of force.

They were glued in to keep them from unscrewing. However, too much of a good time can be a problem.

This is a known issue and the factory is aware of it; however, that doesn't do anything for all the scopes that already exist.

We had one come in two months ago that we could not get off. So we replaced the telescope. 

If ANYONE has a problem with ANY Explore Scientific production, IMMEDIATELY call us (866-252-3811), email (service@explorescientific.com), or open a case in our customer service portal (https://explorescien...upportsync.com/).

We get plenty of call because of the huge line of products we have in addition to the high-end telescopes -- so if you don't get an answer, leave a message or use one of the other contact points.

Kent Marts

Customer Service

Explore Scientific

Thanks Kent! As always, your support is great and I really appreciate the help! My scope is on its way to ya.

#14 Sirvenox

Sirvenox

Explorer 1

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

It was hard to take this out. I have done it today and for future reference this is the way it worked for me. First I removed the focuser part. I used the finder scope part to support rotating CCW the ring. Also used the rotator screw holes to adapt a rod and used screws on the other holes to be able to apply force. Heated the part with a heat gun, not too much... and used a lot of force bangbang.gif . It is best if another person hold the scope. Refer to picture. Sorry if not explained well.wink.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• A199AE84-2F9F-41C6-A7E5-FD597CA559C0.jpeg
  • 27BA6739-8610-4A3D-88AE-BCBF15AA9F51.jpeg

• tjz likes this

#15 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:26 PM

So the stock focuser on the FCD-100 127mm is really just threaded/screwed on and then  glued to keep it from unthreading?   

#16 Total Impulse

Total Impulse

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:54 PM

Yes the stock focuser is threaded and it screws on.  

I looked at this thread to help with the removal of my focuser.  It was helpful so thanks to everyone.   The focuser worked for me for a year and I've taken some good images with it.  But when trying planetary with a 5X barlow, the image was all over the place when adjusting focus.  I just tried my moonlight focuser on Mars last night.  Nice!

The method that worked for me to remove the focuser was to do the following:

1. I removed the inside of the focuser so the only piece attached was the adapter that screws on the OTA.  I didn't think the guide scope mount was involved with holding the adapter to the OTA so initially I left it on.

2. I installed a 90mm telescope mounting ring to the smaller diameter cylinder of the adapter.  It fit perfectly.  

3. I left the ES 127mm mounting rings on the OTA. 

4. I set the telescope on the carpeted floor and one person held the ES 127 mounting ring handle and another twisted the 90mm mounting ring and adapter to be removed.  I applied heat to the adapter at the joint with the OTA all the way around with an air gun on low setting.  When we twisted it, the OTA started to move in the mounting rings. 

5. I didn't want to tighten the OTA mounting rings any more so I had a third person put on some leather gloves and hold the OTA with their hands while a second person also held the ES 127 mounting ring handle to keep it from turning.  I then twisted the 90mm ring and focuser adapter to be removed after heating.  I tried really hard.  No movement. 

6. I finally removed the guide scope mount attached to the focuser adapter and repeated the heating and twisting.  The focuser adapter came off without a great deal of force.  Less than we could have applied.

Bottom line - remove the insides of the focuser, and remove the guide scope mount.  Get a good grip on the adapter with leather gloved hands (I was successful using a 90mm telescope ring clamped down good to hold on to) and a good grip on the OTA (two people - one with gloved hands on the OTA, and another holding the OTA mount work well).  Apply heat all the way around for a minute and twist it off. No scratches, dents or cussing. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Total Impulse, 15 September 2020 - 03:54 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics