•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Q Central Obstruction?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

I ve been trying to find out what the total central obstruction is for the Questar 3.5? So far on the net I've read everything from 25% to 35%. I was wondering if anyone had actually measured it?

Thanks

Steve T 

Edited by steve t, 14 June 2019 - 09:30 AM.

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

Primary diameter, 89mm, Center Obscuration, 27.9mm.  So 31.3 %.

http://www.company7....questandard.pdf

• steve t and spereira like this

#3 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

I measured the diameter of the disc on the outside surface of the corrector as being 29 mm on my Questar Standard. That implies a 33% obstruction. I gingerly used a caliper to measure it without touching the disk or corrector.

I don't have access to my Q right now, but I intend to remeasure this to confirm, when I get a chance.

Loren

• Erik Bakker likes this

#4 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:46 PM

James and Loren 

Thanks much for the information. 

Regards 

Steve T 

• JamesMStephens likes this

#5 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

I just checked my previous measurement: Holding the outside jaws of the caliper over the disk and estimating their position as if they were "gripping" the disk to measure its diameter, I estimate the obstruction to be 28.8 mm, give or take a little.

Loren

• steve t likes this

#6 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

Remember, the secondary size is different in Questars made before 1971 due to design differences.

• steve t likes this

#7 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

I just placed a vernier above my 1989 Q field/Duplex scope # 40## odd. I used Loren's method. It is an estimate as I do not want the vernier to scratch the corrector of baffle disc. I get 27.9 mm. I held my head a reasonable distance above vernier to reduce parallax error. And repeated a few times to get the same result.

The aperture seems to be around the 89.0 mm mark using the same method. So central obstruction is 27.9/89.0=  31.3%

If I put 29 mm on my vernier I can see their is a gap and the disc appears smaller, at 27.9 it appears to hold the disc perfectly.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Loren Gibson like this

#8 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

Again thanks much.

Steve T 

#9 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

I would be interested in the baffle diameter of the Q7 classic and Astro.

33 %. ??
  • steve t likes this

#10 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:46 PM

While holding a ruler over (but not in contact with) the corrector, I eyeballed a central obstruction measurement of 31mm on my 1962 Questar, which has the painted-over secondary spot rather than the affixed disk of later models.

• steve t likes this

#11 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Hi Gregory,

Is the secondary spot on your 1962 Q on the inside (primary side) or outside (sky side) of the corrector?

Your measurement makes sense since I found a figure, on the Q sight, that shows a MTF for a 34% CO.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the over all performance, would a couple of percent difference in CO be noticeable for visual observing? 

Steve T (hopefully a future Q owner )

#12 drprovi57

drprovi57

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

on my 2007 Q7 Astro I measured 53mm obstruction with a precise caliper (note that secondary diameter is 46mm) - Questar uses a slightly larger front obstruction to provide cleaner optical image.

So for my Q7 the obstruction is 100x53/178 = 30% CO

Jason

• Matt Looby likes this

#13 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

Hi Gregory,

Is the secondary spot on your 1962 Q on the inside (primary side) or outside (sky side) of the corrector?

Your measurement makes sense since I found a figure, on the Q sight, that shows a MTF for a 34% CO.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the over all performance, would a couple of percent difference in CO be noticeable for visual observing? 

Steve T (hopefully a future Q owner )

It's on the outside of the corrector. I believe (and I could be wrong -- others: please correct me if I'm wrong) that all Questars have their secondary spot silvered on the outside surface of the corrector, and that spotting is then covered over with either paint (older models like my '62 Q) or a disk (newer models -- I wonder: when did this change happen?).

I can't imagine that a difference of a few percentage points would make much difference for visual observing. I would instead think that the difference in optical quality between a Questar in good shape and another Mak of lesser optical quality would have far more of an effect on one's visual experience.

• steve t likes this

#14 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

It's on the outside of the corrector. I believe (and I could be wrong -- others: please correct me if I'm wrong) that all Questars have their secondary spot silvered on the outside surface of the corrector, and that spotting is then covered over with either paint (older models like my '62 Q) or a disk (newer models -- I wonder: when did this change happen?).

Not exactly, only the early (R1) Questars had an aluminized spot on the outside surface of the corrector.  In later models (and I think you're right, 1962 is the turning point, though maybe Ben can confirm this) the secondary is an aluminized spot on the inside (R2) surface, with a painted spot on the outer surface acing as a baffle.  After a certain point Questar went to a cemented aluminum disk on the outer surface.

Jim

• steve t likes this

#15 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:57 PM

A friend of mine has an early classic Q7. It has he believes the secondary spot on R1. I recall measuring the painted baffle crudely and getting 33% c.o.
Re a few % difference in c.o. and effects observing. Yes little difference. I think the optical quality is the major factor. Having said that for two scopes of the same quality comparing 33% c.o. to say 27% c.o. then there will be a difference on planetary.
  • steve t likes this

#16 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

We should be careful not to put too much stock in the percentage of diameter that the obstruction represents. 1/3 of diameter is 1/9 of light gathering and similarly indiscernible on resolution.
  • steve t, Terra Nova and JamesMStephens like this

#17 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

We should be careful not to put too much stock in the percentage of diameter that the obstruction represents. 1/3 of diameter is 1/9 of light gathering and similarly indiscernible on resolution.

Very true.

There is a difference between  33%, 20% and 0% on effective resolution, namely contrast, but this is beside the point for loving a Questar!

Matt

• Erik Bakker and steve t like this

#18 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:34 PM

I agree, the Questar is a beautiful piece of engineering and execution. I've wanted one since the first time I saw one back in the early 1970's.

Over the years, an empirical rule of thumb I've heard quoted many times is, "with all things being equal, for low contrast object like Jupiter,  an obstructed telescope would perform like an unobstructed telescope per:"

clear aperture of obstructed telescope - central obstruction = equivalent unobstructed telescope 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand it correctly, I can expect the Questar to perform like a perfect 2.5" refractor on low contrast objects and 3.5" scope on high contrast objects like the moon and double stars.

Steve T 

• Matt Looby likes this

#19 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

Steve, that may be a good rule of thumb as to what to expect but for genrerations Questar seems to have earned the reputation for exceeding expectations.
  • steve t likes this

#20 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:02 PM

I agree, the Questar is a beautiful piece of engineering and execution. I've wanted one since the first time I saw one back in the early 1970's.

Over the years, an empirical rule of thumb I've heard quoted many times is, "with all things being equal, for low contrast object like Jupiter,  an obstructed telescope would perform like an unobstructed telescope per:"

clear aperture of obstructed telescope - central obstruction = equivalent unobstructed telescope 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand it correctly, I can expect the Questar to perform like a perfect 2.5" refractor on low contrast objects and 3.5" scope on high contrast objects like the moon and double stars.

Steve T 

Yes Steve that rule of thumb is about right -

I am a Lunar observer the Q  is designed for hard contrast- The Q is a decent planetary scope but the details are softer- 

meaning the Q is producing the same resolution but with less contrast, and under steady moments of seeing  soft images are lovely anyhow.

Matt

• steve t likes this

#21 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

Steve, that may be a good rule of thumb as to what to expect but for genrerations Questar seems to have earned the reputation for exceeding expectations.

Very true. In my modest experience, with some of the massed produced scopes out there, I believe that the Q doesn't exceed the laws of physics, but is so well executed that it operates at the very limits of physics for a 3.5" scope.  Something that wouldn't be practical for mass produceed scope.

Steve T  

• Matt Looby and Terra Nova like this

#22 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:04 AM

OPTICAL DESIGN ALERT

Measuring just the spot diameter on the corrector gives only the minimum. The baffling can intrude further, either the inside corrector baffle of some scopes, whether it flares, etc. Then the primary baffle diameter at the mirror, whether the front edge clips the light cone reducing the CA, or projects deeply into the converging cone blocking more than the secondary obstruction. See Telescope Design, Harrie Ruten, et al for an eye popping expose’.

You see all these contributors at the eyepiece where it counts. Measure the pupil with an eye loupe at the eyepiece, both the id and od of the donut.

The Questar is pretty tight so 33-34%. Some scopes are way off, with a small silvered spot, implying an illusory 28%, but the baffling produces more like 40%. Example Meade ETX 125.

Edited by dougspeterson, 23 June 2019 - 01:05 AM.

• Matt Looby, Erik Bakker and steve t like this

#23 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:38 PM

Hi Doug,

Thanks for chiming in. I never considered the impact of the baffling that extends from the mirror. I'll check out Ruten. 

Steve T 

#24 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

Taking a look at a Q3.5 through the corrector lens I would be surprised if the central obstruction is greater than the corrector baffle.

I appreciate the image is magnified by the corrector but to my eye the Central Obstruction caused by the baffle is the limiting factor.  

• Matt Looby and steve t like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics