•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trifid and Lagoon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

I had planned to be testing/experimenting with capturing video of Jupiter with the 9.25 Edge SCT, and had gotten some in early on (to having something "in the bank" so to speak, just in case).  Jupiter had been rather lower in the sky than I wanted when the early videos were made.  So I decided to image the Trifid nebula on the SVQ100 while waiting for Jupiter to rise higher in the sky. 

After a test shot showed some of the Lagoon nebula I re-framed the shot to include all of it.  I ran off sequences of 15 lights (x4) and 10 darks (x2) and noticed clouds were on the horizon and rapidly approaching.  I stopped taking subs on Trifid/Lagoon and swapped setups to capture video of Jupiter again before the clouds arrived.  I ended up with 41 usable subs at 30 seconds each on the Trifid/Lagoon combo.  Wish I had more subs (and longer subs).  The Moon was out adding lots of unwanted light to the subs, and I wasn't expecting to get a usable image out of the testing, but it turned out better than I had expected (feared).

Trifid And Lagoon Wider Field

Click the thumbnail below to to see larger versions on my Astrobin account.

get.jpg?insecure

Edited by Stricnine, 15 June 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• Starman27, mikewayne3, deepwoods1 and 6 others like this

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Pretty dang fine!

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:06 PM

Totally agree with above! 

#4 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

+1. Great job.

#5 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the kind words.  I hope to revisit this pair with the Moon out of the sky and some what longer subs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics