•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

High Temp Exposure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Most discussions I read about concerning telescope optics, relate to how 'Very Cold' temps. might affect lenses/eyepieces/mirrors etc. But what about High Temps? Are most binoculars/scopes/eyepieces/computerized mounts protected to some degree of excessive ambient heat? At what temps would these be in danger of being damaged? Coatings/cements/electronics/expansion of glass?? The Government Run Apts. where I live are planning 'Heat Treatments' on their units. Should I Run? (Can't Anyway). They are talking reaching ambient temps of 140-160* for 2 hrs., and don't want anything removed. These people are not the kind that are much concerned about 'individual rights' or "personal concerns" of those that are their clients, - they pretty much play, - "Our game, - Our ball", Don't like it?, - Get off the Field.   

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

I'd imagine your glass and aluminum will be fine.  I'd try to figure out a way to get your electronics out, though.

#3 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:05 AM

Sounds like they're trying to get rid of bugs.  ICK.  But you've gotta do what you've gotta do...

I would not leave my OTA exposed to that.  It won't be a slow buildup to that temp, it will be with heaters at 100%.  Doesn't sound good to me.

#4 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:26 PM

Get all the optics and electronics out.

#5 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:40 PM

The bedbugs aren’t on you optics.  Put them in your car.

#6 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:56 PM

The bedbugs aren’t on you optics.  Put them in your car.

Cars get hot too, unless parked in a sheltered, shaded place.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics