•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leiningen Versus the Ants sort of...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

So, went out to the Dome to change the telescope out so that I could get a shot of the red spot and Shadow Transit tonight. Found a trail of ants leading from the ground  up to the computer. I know how to clean computer viruses, anyone know how to clean computer ants?

#2 Stargezzer

Stargezzer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal Canyon area

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

tjensen, I am a retired Enotmologist. Better find out which ant you have. Be careful it could be Red Imported Fire Ant....bad news they swarm and have both a painful bite and sting. It is interesting that RIFA like to get into electrical systems. They do millions of dollars in damage every year. I would put a call into your county AG department or nearest University to get these critters properly identified. There are many different kinds of ants in your neck of the woods so getting the ID is key to getting the most effective control. 

• havasman and WoodyEnd like this

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

Look for nests near by. They make baits that last for months. I’d sprinkle that around your observatory. I used this powder I bought on amazon that would kill a nest almost instantly. I think it was called surrender. Wear safety gear. This stuff is no joke.

#4 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

RAID!

#5 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

I just can't believe my luck... I've had the observatory computer taken out 2x by lightning., the MX+ board control board once. It's been raining here for 2 weeks and this is the first clear weekend we've had... Seeing and transparency are expected to be near perfect, there is a shadow transit visible while the GRS is showing tonight AND I'm on the transit line for an ISS transit of the Sun on Monday! AND NOW ANTS!?!?!?!?!

I can probably get my desktop down to the dome and hooked up, but installing the software and getting it all to talk will take some doing. Not something I can do tonight in the dark.

Sigh...

#6 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:21 AM

Be careful it could be Red Imported Fire Ant....

Fortunately not. I had fire ants 3 or 4 years ago so I know they are around

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

I just can't believe my luck... I've had the observatory computer taken out 2x by lightning., the MX+ board control board once. It's been raining here for 2 weeks and this is the first clear weekend we've had... Seeing and transparency are expected to be near perfect, there is a shadow transit visible while the GRS is showing tonight AND I'm on the transit line for an ISS transit of the Sun on Monday! AND NOW ANTS!?!?!?!?!
I can probably get my desktop down to the dome and hooked up, but installing the software and getting it all to talk will take some doing. Not something I can do tonight in the dark.
Sigh...

Good luck!

#8 PastorBillV

PastorBillV

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

We get the bait that is like molasses - thick syrup in a small clear plastic container that you open.  They eat it and take it back to their nest to kill all the other ants.  We try to follow their trail back to the nest so that we can spray afterwards. Keeping the ground clear around the edges of the house helps too.   Our kitchen gets ants every year - part of living in the mountains here.  

• Raginar likes this

#9 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

Call Orkin up and have them do an every month service on your house and obs. When the ants are gone, switch to an every other month plan for maintenance. 

#10 cjdavis618

cjdavis618

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arkansas

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:19 PM

Terro brand has been the best I have ever used in regards to getting rid of ants. They have small bait traps and also a granule you can spread around the area. The traps I find to work best if I pour some of the liquid from the trap out around the trap so they find it easier and in about 2 days, the ant issue will be gone. 

The Granule, I can pour over a fire ant mound and in about a day, the mound will be dead. In about a week, no activity around the mound at all. I can usually find mounds spaced out about 7-10 feet apart in my yard and I will hit them all at once and then not have to deal with them much until the next summer or heavy rains when they come up out of the saturated ground. 

The reason the ants are likely after your PC is the coatings on the motherboards or plastics, specifically PLA which is made from corn starch mostly. This is often used in connectors. 

Good luck!

#11 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

Call Orkin up and have them do an every month service on your house and obs. When the ants are gone, switch to an every other month plan for maintenance. 

Bag the scope to keep insecticide residue off the optics.

#12 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

I can't believe nobody's suggested digging a moat, filling it with pitch and setting it on fire!   bombdrop.gif

Hard to argue with the entomologist. I've also had very good luck with those little Terro bait stations. Ants do love power junction boxes. Good luck with your problem.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics