•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT80mm F/7 coming

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#126 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

Just out of curiosity why did people choose the AT80 over the AT102?

More of a grab and go and cheaper. I had the AT102 ED and would buy a 80mm version for kicks if i had not sold everything and told myself to never buy a scope again or at least for a long time.

If i still had a small mount and my eyepieces i would have tried out the 80mm.

Edited by CHASLX200, 19 January 2020 - 07:07 PM.

• stevew and mtminnesota like this

#127 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

Just out of curiosity why did people choose the AT80 over the AT102?

Much more stable on a small mount such as a Vixen Porta or something comparable, cheaper, wider field. 

• belgrade and mtminnesota like this

#128 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

Astronomics really has put together a quality package with these scopes.   It is easy to forget that a scope is more than the optics, and the quality of the rest of the components can have a huge impact on the viewing experience.  It is clear that astronomics has put careful thought into the specs for these scopes.  

Jmd 

It looks like a smaller version of my new AT102ED.  If so, it's a well-made Economy ED, and worth more than A-T charges for it.

• CollinofAlabama, Tyson M and mtminnesota like this

#129 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

Mine arrived today. Was looking for an excellent complement to my FS-60Q on the Manfrotto mount. After trying a few of my larger scopes, particularly the SVR90T and the light ED102SS, well they just proved to be too much for the mount. My Orion ST80 is the right size but its optics - alas - are just no match vs. the little Tak ... too much of a disparity. With this AT80ED I should get better parity with very nice wide field views. My Q delivers on the medium & higher mags - it really is astonishing for a 60mm instrument. The two together will be my out the door combo - mount, tripod, 2 scopes with little effort and in short time I should be viewing. 

The AT80ED arrived very safely, the box in a box filled with those detestable "peanuts" was pretty much unscathed. It came FedEX. The scope is really quite striking, looking so much like its bigger stablemate - the AT102ED - but half the size. The scope was in great shape - just a bit of dusty objective and the focuser is extremely stiff ... it will take some adjusting or hopefully it loosens up with use because silky smooth it ain't. The dew shield is very nice - extending for quite a distance, locking with authority when fully extended, and the overall action was smooth but not too loose. I included a pic comparing it to my ST80 - shield was retracted.

Overall, I'm impressed as I have been with all AT scopes I have bought over many years - this being my fifth purchase! I hope to try it in the next few days! Clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1478.jpg
  • IMG_1479.jpg
  • IMG_1480.jpg
  • IMG_1482.jpg
  • IMG_1485.jpg
  • IMG_1488.jpg

• jimandlaura26, CollinofAlabama, Scott Beith and 15 others like this

#130 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:25 AM

Nice looking little scopes! To those with light dust on the objectives, I suspect it is from the felt used on the dew shield cap. It tends to shed initially. It will stop doing that after a few uses. I used a bulb blower on my 102ED to remedy it. Enjoy!

Edited by KevH, 24 January 2020 - 06:25 AM.

#131 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

Mine arrived today. Was looking for an excellent complement to my FS-60Q on the Manfrotto mount. After trying a few of my larger scopes, particularly the SVR90T and the light ED102SS, well they just proved to be too much for the mount. My Orion ST80 is the right size but its optics - alas - are just no match vs. the little Tak ... too much of a disparity. With this AT80ED I should get better parity with very nice wide field views. My Q delivers on the medium & higher mags - it really is astonishing for a 60mm instrument. The two together will be my out the door combo - mount, tripod, 2 scopes with little effort and in short time I should be viewing. 

The AT80ED arrived very safely, the box in a box filled with those detestable "peanuts" was pretty much unscathed. It came FedEX. The scope is really quite striking, looking so much like its bigger stablemate - the AT102ED - but half the size. The scope was in great shape - just a bit of dusty objective and the focuser is extremely stiff ... it will take some adjusting or hopefully it loosens up with use because silky smooth it ain't. The dew shield is very nice - extending for quite a distance, locking with authority when fully extended, and the overall action was smooth but not too loose. I included a pic comparing it to my ST80 - shield was retracted.

Overall, I'm impressed as I have been with all AT scopes I have bought over many years - this being my fifth purchase! I hope to try it in the next few days! Clear skies!

Looks really nice! congratulations on your new telescope.

Btw Even packaging looks exactly the same like the packaging where my SV80 came last Christmas.

#132 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

It looks like a smaller version of my new AT102ED.  If so, it's a well-made Economy ED, and worth more than A-T charges for it.

I agree with the statement.  You get a lot of scope here for the money in both cases.  Mechanics especially are very nice.

#133 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:03 PM

Any first light reports yet?

#134 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:34 AM

Finally after several days, a clear night. I pulled out my Manfrotto loaded up with the FS-60Q and the new AT80ED - earlier I had adjusted the focuser getting a smoother rolling feel. I brought out my Porta mount and loaded the Orion ST80. And I let everything cool down... returning in about 30 minutes - first up was Venus fairly low in the western sky. I had on hand my 4 Morpheus EPs (17.5, 12.5, 9 and 6.5mm) and some of my ES 68* (24, 20, 16mm) as well as my 4.7 & 6.7mm 82* ES EPs. The ST80 showed a lot of purple around Venus using the 17.5, even when focused pretty tightly. In comparison the AT80 showed only a faint hint of purple around Venus using the same EP when focused. This was true with the 9mm as well. The FS-60Q just crushes that view giving a very clean image and no purple fringing. Spending some time looking at Venus, I noticed that Orion was rising in the SE sky and was largely available for viewing from my deck. Comparing views of the sword between the ST80 and AT80 - swapping the 17.5 between them - was telling. The AT80 was giving a much cleaner image with the nebulosity of M42/43 much better defined. The entire field also looked sharper. At this point I retired the ST80 and brought out my SVR90-T to cool down on the Porta. With AT80 I looked at Rigel and started to make out the companion star with 12.5 and using the 9 it was clearly evident. Earlier I had been looking at my Seasonal Star Charts booklet and decided to do some Double star hunting in Lepus. The AT80 as I had hoped proved to be a fun scope to cruise the sky. Unfortunately I found the views with my ES 24 & 20 (but to a lesser degree) difficult to achieve satisfactory focus across the field but surprisingly the ES16 worked nicely. Most of my cruising was done with the 17.5 - an amazing EP like the other Morpheus EPs. The sky started to cloud up so I went inside to wait it out. About 20 minutes later I went back out only to find much moisture all over everything - argh! I grabbed a towel from inside and dried everything off. By this time the SVR90-T was cooled - I had kanted it with focuser end slightly up and the diagonal removed. Putting things back together I started comparing views between it and the AT80 - using same EPs but unfortunately they had different diagonals. Overall the AT80, having cooled more, compared favorably to the SVR90, with the SVR90 views being a bit deeper and sharper. Double star viewing in both Orion and Lepus was more similar than dissimilar and I spent some time viewing a wonderful star pairing in either Lepus or Columba - not sure - comparing this pairing and M41 in Canis Major between the two scopes. Wasn't long before I was getting very cold so for a final view I swung the Manfrotto mount around and up to look at the Pleiades in the AT80 with the 17.5 - pretty much captured it all and it looked nice & sparkly in a dark background. The AT80ED is what I had hoped for in this scope - once cooled down, which took a little longer than expected - providing some very pleasing views on this evening. I'm especially happy with how it works on my Manfrotto mount alongside my baby Tak. 

Clear skies!

• CollinofAlabama, zjc26138, RNSpeed and 8 others like this

#135 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

Last night I took out the new AT80ED on the Manfrotto fluid head with the Q. Not a bad night, maybe 3/5... no winds, but seemed a bit hazy. I had outfitted the AT with my 2" AP MaxBrite diagonal and I used an EP lineup that included Morpheus' (17.5, 12.5, 9mm), ES (82* 6.7, 4.7mm and 62* 9, 5.5mm and 52* 3mm) and Starbase Orthos (18, 14mm). After about 1 hour of cool-down, I started scanning the skies with the AT using the 17.5 & 12.5 EP. The views where super sharp to the edge, dark skies - the star fields were beautiful. I looked at the Double Cluster and it was stunning - very well resolved and the stars were pinpoints. I checked out the moon low in the west, maybe 30 degrees above the horizon, showing a sliver of illumination. The AT did not show any fringing or false color what-so-ever even when I put in the 3mm ES Plossl (nice EP). The views were sharp, detailed and color free even when looking at the limb. Looking at Sirius was another matter. Always a tough view, with the AT it was no exception. Using the 6.7, 5.5, and 4.7 I could get the star well resolved without too much flaring but there was the faintest hints of purple. Tried (as I always do) looking for the Pup - no way. The open star cluster M41 below Sirius looked very nice against the sky with the 12.5. The focuser is getting better being very stiff at first. I'm really liking this scope - very nice views and very nice to look at.

Clear skies!

• CollinofAlabama, zjc26138, eros312 and 3 others like this

#136 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

I don't want to steer this report away or violate the forum's rules so just a quick question: which Manfrotto mount (and tripod) model do you use?  I am interested in purchasing the 80ED, that's why I'm asking.  Thx.

#137 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

hi Belgrade - I have the Manfrotto 502ah pro video head. I have attached this to an Orion Paragon Plus XHD tripod, after removing the head. The Manfrotto is very nice, having a built in counterbalance feature that works pretty well. I've noticed in very cold weather, that the movements stiffen up with the "az" action having stiction, but overall I really like it a lot especially with warmer temps where the movements are very fluid. The Orion tripod is super stable as well as being very light.

Clear skies!

Edited by Brollen, 30 January 2020 - 10:54 PM.

• CollinofAlabama and belgrade like this

#138 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

Thank you, Brollen, truly appreciated!

#139 s3hoch

s3hoch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Basehor, KS

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:38 PM

Any first light reports yet?

I finally got a decent night on Saturday but spent Sunday doing Super Bowl things (I'm near Kansas City...Go Chiefs!)  It had been so long since we had a decent night sky, I had a lot of excitement built up to try my new AT80ED and of course, things didn't go well.  I waited nearly 2 hours to even be able to polar align my mount (EQM-35Pro).  Once I was able to get things going, my first problem was balance.  I should have done this in advance but once I got aligned, I mounted my DSLR.  I was well off the mark and my mount let me know immediately.  In the process of rectifying the balance (big duh moment), I managed to also disconnect the power cable.  So I basically had to start over, which made me none to happy seeing all the clouds still around.  I knew I was working against the clock.  One reason I mention all this is that I want to note here is that with a Canon T6 DSLR at focus, I had to move the dovetail as far back as I could to balance, and it was still at the end of the bar.  It works, but I'll probably get a longer one, especially if I get a FR/FF.  

After these disappointing moments, I finally got lined up on Sirius and took a shot after getting focus again.  Time to mention the focuser.  It's fantastic.  A little stiff to start with but still buttery smooth and the 10:1 is flawless.  I used APT and a B-mask to dial it in.  Anyway, Sirius had some purple fringing around it, which I expected, but little to none around any less luminous stars.  The sky still had about 60% cover, and the rest was whispy, not completely clear.  How much of that color is to blame on the vapor in the air, I won't be able to tell until a truly clear night.  My true expectation is to have some color around bright objects, however it appears to be tightly controlled otherwise.    

I dialed in the "Easy button" of DSO's, M42 and GoTo was fairly spot on.  I blame my haste in trying to hurry up...never a good idea.  I had about an hour with fairly clear hole in the clouds for image capturing and it was truly fantastic.  Velvety black background and nice round stars.   I decided to go unguided, 1 minute exposures, so that if a cloud wandered into frame it wouldn't have a chance to ruin a longer exposure.  I wasn't going for Horsehead here. 

I'm attaching a lightly stretched and processed version of a 10x60s stack, uncropped, with 5x darks.  These are at 1600 ISO which, again in my haste, by the time I noticed how blown out the center was, I was 3 or 4 exposures into the sequence and clouds closing in.  Would have been better at 800 probably.  

So, not a perfect night, but I have to say I'm super happy and can't wait for future, better nights.  The AT80ED telescope as a whole met or exceeded my expectations as a fairly new amateur. 

M42 AT80ED

• eros312, Agatha, The Luckster and 1 other like this

#140 s3hoch

s3hoch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Basehor, KS

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

Also, since the AT80ED does not come with a case, I went looking for one.  The scope is 18.5" long, with everything retracted, and about 6 3/8" wide with the focuser cap on.  I picked the Voyager 20" stainless steel toolbox from HF off the shelf.  It is a shockingly near perfect fit, like it was made for it....without the removable tray, which I was hoping I could keep for other accouterments.  I kept the foam from the original shipping box, and will need to trim away a little bit at it since I've added finder shoes.  I'll add a thin layer of closed foam to the top and bottom to make it really snug.  $16 after coupon.

https://www.harborfr...lbox-93168.html

IMG-2701cb.jpg

Edited by s3hoch, 04 February 2020 - 09:13 AM.

• mclewis1, eros312, Don Taylor and 3 others like this

#141 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:05 AM

Does the AT-80 and ST-80 use the same size tube rings or does the AT-80 also have an odd ball size tube diameter like the AT-102?

If they are different, what is the tube ring size used on the AT-80?

Thanks for any info on this

....Ralph

My Orion ST80 is the right size but its optics - alas - are just no match vs. the little Tak ... too much of a disparity. With this AT80ED I should get better parity with very nice wide field views. 

. I included a pic comparing it to my ST80 - shield was retracted.

#142 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

Very nice! A little bit of blue around the bright stars when you go looking for it, but no more than I see with my tv102 when I image. Looks like an excellent little refractor!

Jmd

I finally got a decent night on Saturday but spent Sunday doing Super Bowl things (I'm near Kansas City...Go Chiefs!) It had been so long since we had a decent night sky, I had a lot of excitement built up to try my new AT80ED and of course, things didn't go well. I waited nearly 2 hours to even be able to polar align my mount (EQM-35Pro). Once I was able to get things going, my first problem was balance. I should have done this in advance but once I got aligned, I mounted my DSLR. I was well off the mark and my mount let me know immediately. In the process of rectifying the balance (big duh moment), I managed to also disconnect the power cable. So I basically had to start over, which made me none to happy seeing all the clouds still around. I knew I was working against the clock. One reason I mention all this is that I want to note here is that with a Canon T6 DSLR at focus, I had to move the dovetail as far back as I could to balance, and it was still at the end of the bar. It works, but I'll probably get a longer one, especially if I get a FR/FF.

After these disappointing moments, I finally got lined up on Sirius and took a shot after getting focus again. Time to mention the focuser. It's fantastic. A little stiff to start with but still buttery smooth and the 10:1 is flawless. I used APT and a B-mask to dial it in. Anyway, Sirius had some purple fringing around it, which I expected, but little to none around any less luminous stars. The sky still had about 60% cover, and the rest was whispy, not completely clear. How much of that color is to blame on the vapor in the air, I won't be able to tell until a truly clear night. My true expectation is to have some color around bright objects, however it appears to be tightly controlled otherwise.

I dialed in the "Easy button" of DSO's, M42 and GoTo was fairly spot on. I blame my haste in trying to hurry up...never a good idea. I had about an hour with fairly clear hole in the clouds for image capturing and it was truly fantastic. Velvety black background and nice round stars. I decided to go unguided, 1 minute exposures, so that if a cloud wandered into frame it wouldn't have a chance to ruin a longer exposure. I wasn't going for Horsehead here.

I'm attaching a lightly stretched and processed version of a 10x60s stack, uncropped, with 5x darks. These are at 1600 ISO which, again in my haste, by the time I noticed how blown out the center was, I was 3 or 4 exposures into the sequence and clouds closing in. Would have been better at 800 probably.

So, not a perfect night, but I have to say I'm super happy and can't wait for future, better nights. The AT80ED telescope as a whole met or exceeded my expectations as a fairly new amateur. [/quote]
  • The Luckster, s3hoch and mtminnesota like this

#143 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

Has anyone used a quark with this scope yet? I'm seriously considering getting this one to use with a quark. Any feedback would be great (fov with various ep...etc)

#144 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

Does the AT-80 and ST-80 use the same size tube rings or does the AT-80 also have an odd ball size tube diameter like the AT-102?

If they are different, what is the tube ring size used on the AT-80?

Thanks for any info on this

....Ralph

I had a Meade version of the ST-80 the Adventure scope 80 which I sold last year, but still have the tube rings that I used with it.  Also I have the Stellarvue version of the AT-80 and I tested the rings with it and they fit perfectly.

#145 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:11 PM

Finally after several days, a clear night. I pulled out my Manfrotto loaded up with the FS-60Q and the new AT80ED - earlier I had adjusted the focuser getting a smoother rolling feel. I brought out my Porta mount and loaded the Orion ST80. And I let everything cool down... returning in about 30 minutes - first up was Venus fairly low in the western sky. I had on hand my 4 Morpheus EPs (17.5, 12.5, 9 and 6.5mm) and some of my ES 68* (24, 20, 16mm) as well as my 4.7 & 6.7mm 82* ES EPs. The ST80 showed a lot of purple around Venus using the 17.5, even when focused pretty tightly. In comparison the AT80 showed only a faint hint of purple around Venus using the same EP when focused. This was true with the 9mm as well. The FS-60Q just crushes that view giving a very clean image and no purple fringing. Spending some time looking at Venus, I noticed that Orion was rising in the SE sky and was largely available for viewing from my deck. Comparing views of the sword between the ST80 and AT80 - swapping the 17.5 between them - was telling. The AT80 was giving a much cleaner image with the nebulosity of M42/43 much better defined. The entire field also looked sharper. At this point I retired the ST80 and brought out my SVR90-T to cool down on the Porta. With AT80 I looked at Rigel and started to make out the companion star with 12.5 and using the 9 it was clearly evident. Earlier I had been looking at my Seasonal Star Charts booklet and decided to do some Double star hunting in Lepus. The AT80 as I had hoped proved to be a fun scope to cruise the sky. Unfortunately I found the views with my ES 24 & 20 (but to a lesser degree) difficult to achieve satisfactory focus across the field but surprisingly the ES16 worked nicely. Most of my cruising was done with the 17.5 - an amazing EP like the other Morpheus EPs. The sky started to cloud up so I went inside to wait it out. About 20 minutes later I went back out only to find much moisture all over everything - argh! I grabbed a towel from inside and dried everything off. By this time the SVR90-T was cooled - I had kanted it with focuser end slightly up and the diagonal removed. Putting things back together I started comparing views between it and the AT80 - using same EPs but unfortunately they had different diagonals. Overall the AT80, having cooled more, compared favorably to the SVR90, with the SVR90 views being a bit deeper and sharper. Double star viewing in both Orion and Lepus was more similar than dissimilar and I spent some time viewing a wonderful star pairing in either Lepus or Columba - not sure - comparing this pairing and M41 in Canis Major between the two scopes. Wasn't long before I was getting very cold so for a final view I swung the Manfrotto mount around and up to look at the Pleiades in the AT80 with the 17.5 - pretty much captured it all and it looked nice & sparkly in a dark background. The AT80ED is what I had hoped for in this scope - once cooled down, which took a little longer than expected - providing some very pleasing views on this evening. I'm especially happy with how it works on my Manfrotto mount alongside my baby Tak. 

Clear skies!

We’re you seeing any noticeable curvature using this scope on low power by any chance?

#146 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

We’re you seeing any noticeable curvature using this scope on low power by any chance?

Yes, I think there is some there, but I am using a 1.25" diagonal and the lowest power I have would be my ES 24mm 68 degree EP, which provides a nice view with some curvature I think towards the outer edges of the view. I know the ES 20mm 68 degree is very nice in this scope - I use the 24mm more so for my SCTs or MCTs. 

Quite honestly, my thing is medium power views using my Morpheus EPs - 17.5 /12.5 / 9 mm. With these EPs the views - to my sensibilities are flat out amazing.

Clear skies!

• CollinofAlabama, Jond105 and starryhtx like this

#147 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:28 AM

Thank you for that. I’m really thinking of one just to help out Astronomics when I can. But since all my eyepieces are 82 degrees or higher, I just wasn’t sure. Seems like a true winner for true grab and go. With great optics. 

• Brollen and gene 4181 like this

#148 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:15 AM

I'm not seeing any with my  35 Pan or   ES 24 -82  ,  in a old  80 mm F 7 SV ED       anyone catch that Alberio (blue -orange )  type double close too the moon last night    smile.gif    

Edited by gene 4181, 02 April 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• Brollen and Jond105 like this

#149 Mihai

Mihai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Romania,Sibiu

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

https://www.teleskop...--Crayford.html

Is this the same refractor as the AT80ED f7 ?

#150 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

Yes, I think there is some there, but I am using a 1.25" diagonal and the lowest power I have would be my ES 24mm 68 degree EP, which provides a nice view with some curvature I think towards the outer edges of the view. I know the ES 20mm 68 degree is very nice in this scope - I use the 24mm more so for my SCTs or MCTs. 

Quite honestly, my thing is medium power views using my Morpheus EPs - 17.5 /12.5 / 9 mm. With these EPs the views - to my sensibilities are flat out amazing.

Clear skies!

Which of your Morpheus EPs work best on the moon with the AT80?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics