•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT80mm F/7 coming

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#176 JGlover

JGlover

Messenger

• Loc: Naperville, IL

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

I'm trying to locate a finder that will attach to this scope, no luck so far.  What are you folks using?

I'm not able to attach a finder to my new AT80ED. The finder base seems to be too narrow. An Orion RACI will *just* barely fit, but it has to be gently hammered out. My Celestron Starsense small base will only fit halfway, and only from the front of the base. A Telrad with a Synta finder base will not fit att all. All three of these finders fit on my other scopes with no issues in a standard Synta/Orion base. I called Astronomics today and they said no one had reported this as a problem, so perhaps my scope has a bad finder base?

IMG_1164 sml.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone with a very recent vintage AT80ED is having a similar issue, or is mine just an anomaly. Thanks!

Edited by JGlover, 17 August 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#177 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:30 AM

John,

I do believe the finderbase is secured on the focuser by two screws in the middle of the finderbase. If they are tightened too much, this can bend the specific finderbase inwards (happened to me on another scope), thus making it "narrower". Check it out and let us know...

• JGlover and eros312 like this

#178 s3hoch

s3hoch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Basehor, KS

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:25 PM

I just used a universal dovetail finder base and a red dot finder on one side and my ZWO mini guidescope on the other.  Not the fanciest but I had no problems attaching to mine.  

I'm not able to attach a finder to my new AT80ED. The finder base seems to be too narrow. An Orion RACI will *just* barely fit, but it has to be gently hammered out. My Celestron Starsense small base will only fit halfway, and only from the front of the base. A Telrad with a Synta finder base will not fit att all. All three of these finders fit on my other scopes with no issues in a standard Synta/Orion base. I called Astronomics today and they said no one had reported this as a problem, so perhaps my scope has a bad finder base?

attachicon.gifIMG_1164 sml.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone with a very recent vintage AT80ED is having a similar issue, or is mine just an anomaly. Thanks!

#179 JGlover

JGlover

Messenger

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:03 PM

John,

I do believe the finderbase is secured on the focuser by two screws in the middle of the finderbase. If they are tightened too much, this can bend the specific finderbase inwards (happened to me on another scope), thus making it "narrower". Check it out and let us know...

Nick,

That was a brilliant suggestion! I loosened the screws and the finder slipped in, though it was still very tight, I was able to get it in and tighten down both set screws on the base. It bothered me to have my Starsense camera hanging from only one screw!

However, my Rigel Qwikfinder base still does not fit. I checked the Rigel on an old Orion base I had lying around and it did not fit on that one either. I'll probably just order a couple of new ones and change this one out, but in the interim, it is functional.

Thanks!

• eros312, nicknacknock and Echolight like this

#180 JGlover

JGlover

Messenger

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

I just used a universal dovetail finder base and a red dot finder on one side and my ZWO mini guidescope on the other.  Not the fanciest but I had no problems attaching to mine.  

I'm going to order in a couple new bases, as I'd like to be able to add a guide camera on the scope as well. As I mentioned to Nick, my Starsense finder stalk does not fit on an older Orion dovetail base I have, so maybe it is just some slight QC issues with the finder baseplates. My Rigel and Telrad bases also do not fit, they will not even go into the Orion base. These cheap ones are not the highest order of QC I've ever seen. The dovetail plates for my Rigel and Telrad are machined CNC AL blocks, unlike the cheaper sand case base plates I have. Time to look for something a bit higher quality. smile.gif

• nicknacknock likes this

#181 Bugsi

Bugsi

Vostok 1

• Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:31 PM

I'm trying to locate a finder that will attach to this scope, no luck so far.  What are you folks using?

Several of us used this one on our AT102ED scopes.  I have one, and use an Orion 9 x 50 RACI on it:
https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01EOET7DS

• eros312, BFaucett and mtminnesota like this

#182 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:53 PM

Nick,

That was a brilliant suggestion! I loosened the screws and the finder slipped in, though it was still very tight, I was able to get it in and tighten down both set screws on the base. It bothered me to have my Starsense camera hanging from only one screw!

However, my Rigel Qwikfinder base still does not fit. I checked the Rigel on an old Orion base I had lying around and it did not fit on that one either. I'll probably just order a couple of new ones and change this one out, but in the interim, it is functional.

Thanks!

John,

Maybe take the finderbase off and straighten it?

#183 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:02 AM

Several of us used this one on our AT102ED scopes.  I have one, and use an Orion 9 x 50 RACI on it:
https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01EOET7DS

I have that exact same one that I ordered via Amazon. I put it on my AT72EDII with an Orion 6x30 RACI finder. Works great; no problems.

Astronomics also offers this one (but currently out of stock):

https://www.astronom...nting-shoe.html

Cheers! Bob F.

med_gallery_230527_13794_700359.jpg

Edited by BFaucett, 19 August 2020 - 01:02 AM.

• The Luckster likes this

#184 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:32 AM

The Amazon brackets are nice. However they don’t have the notch in base. I’ve tried them and they work ok. Also if you have a stalk with lip and pair to base bracket without notch it looks funny sitting outside . The Amazon I use with light plastic RDF.
 Many Orion and other Finders have a little lip at the end that fits into notch. I have found when stalk with lip and receptive bracket that  has the notch, it fits like a glove and makes my finders much more stable. A match made in heaven for finders specially the bigger heavier ones.

Or anyone wanting a stable base. Also it fits all my dovetails regardless of size! Your experience may vary.

That is why I only use finder brackets from Agenastro with the notch . They are nicely machined a buck or two more,  but in my option well worth  the price.They have a four hole and two hole bracket . I usually buy the 4 hole one, it fits more telescope in that configuration. Picture shows two hole bracket.

By the way , I have no affiliation with AgenaAstro.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• 4307D424-73BC-44EF-99C7-CFDA0E23EFAF.jpeg
  • FB93DFE3-3B4D-405B-81C6-1A305E4EB417.jpeg

Edited by Far-Out, 19 August 2020 - 09:54 AM.

#185 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:56 PM

Hey all, can someone give me the tube diameter on this scope? I am wondering if it uses an oversized tube like the Orion ED80.

#186 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:42 PM

Alright, I've made up my mind; I'm going to buy the AT80ED.  However, this time I'm going to save up for it instead of buying it now, and try to get into the habit of saving for what I want as I soon enter retirement....

Yeah, yeah, I have an AT72EDII and a Short Tube 80, but I don't have an AT80ED!  Anyway, I've got $140 socked away so far, I'm on my way.

CS

jason

• eros312 likes this

#187 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:57 AM

Hey all, can someone give me the tube diameter on this scope? I am wondering if it uses an oversized tube like the Orion ED80.

I believe the AT is 90mm OD and the Orion 100mm OD.

#188 Chuckles34

Chuckles34

Sputnik

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

I have that exact same one that I ordered via Amazon. I put it on my AT72EDII with an Orion 6x30 RACI finder. Works great; no problems.

Astronomics also offers this one (but currently out of stock):

https://www.astronom...nting-shoe.html

Cheers! Bob F.

med_gallery_230527_13794_700359.jpg

I noticed the finderscope shoe mounting point on the new Astro Tech models is positioned almost directly over the focuser knobs.  Whereas, on my older AT72ED it is positioned about an inch more forward.  Do any members using RACI finders with the newer models have any clearance issues while viewing?

Cheers!

Chuck

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics