•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

orion skyscanner vs SVBONY 90mm F5.5 2" Refractor

reflector refractor observing
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deriksss

deriksss

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cibolo, TX

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

i am deciding on a small portable ota to put on my celestron slt mount. a orion skyscanner 100mm or a SVBONY SV48 90mm F5.5 2" Refractor selling on ebay. my goal is to observe bright dsos. i have a 8" dob, for dsos, and a 5in mak, for planets, but wanted somthing portable and affordable for my goto. does anyone have an opinion to share on which would be better for dsos? below is the ebay link. thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.com...497.m4902.l9144

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

Both are portable and light however the deal-breaker for me is the 1.25" Focuser on the Newt as the Refractor gets about 1.5° more FOV.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

I would go with the SVBONY 90mm F/5.5.  

It's considerably more expensive than the SkyScanner and will need a mount.  But it's a refractor so viewing will be more comfortable, it will have a bit of field curvature but not the coma of the F/4 Newtonian.  Stars will sharper and while it's 90mm rather than 100mm, because there is no CO and no reflective losses, it should be brighter as well.  

If I remember correctly, the SkyScanner has a fixed primary so it cannot be fully collimated.  

I think an 8 inch Dob and a 80-100mm relatively fast refractor are an excellent combination.  The refractor is also well suited for terrestrial views, birding.  It is more versatile.  

Jon

• tony_spina likes this

#4 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

I agree with what Jon just said, get the refractor 

#5 TheLightCollector

TheLightCollector

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

I own the svbony sv105 astrophotography camera.I use it for planetary imaging, and it's been a pretty good cam.I also own a SvBony 5x barlow lens that works pretty well.I wasn't even aware that they made quality optics.That scope looks sweet! I own a ES firstlight 90mm/500mm doublet and I absolutely love that scope.It gives me some beautiful wide feild views. A refractor that size really excells at eye-popping wide feild views of star clusters ,galaxies ,ect.

Edited by TheLightCollector, 06 July 2019 - 12:03 PM.

#6 scallister

scallister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

I saw the SVBONY 90 mm on eBay as well and was intrigued by it. I’ve been looking for a grab and go scope for visual observations, so I purchased it at a price lower than the asking price. The sales rep I worked with was very helpful and I received it from Hong Kong in 3 days. 

I have to say that I am not an expert and someone with more experience should do a thorough review on this OTA, but I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of the build. I haven’t pointed it at the sky yet because of clouds and my work schedule but am anxious to do so. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector, refractor, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics