•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fathers Day June 16th. Going to give this one to my dad.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

A few weekends ago My dad and I were looking though one of my scopes and I asked him if he might possibly want one to keep at his house, and he said sure.

I purchased this one at goodwill and cleaned it up. I will be giving it to him tommorrow for fathers day along with a a few accessories, (A 45% prisim, 90% angle and a few upgraded eye peices I purchased seperately).

IMG_6155.JPG

I know its not the nicest scope available, but it performes better than one he bought me as a child. (Its a Meade 60mm x 700mm).

I took it apart, and cleaned it up, I re-painted the insides flat black including the focusser, and its not completely in-capable. I did capture this image of the moon though it last week before it was cleaned up.

post-304434-0-99310100-1560134295.jpg

I think he will enjoy it, and if I ever find anything nicer for him I will upgrade him and sell this one. I actually gave the same model scope to his grandson a few weeks ago as a birthday present, and could see the two of them going out with them together at night since he is now retired, and is 74 years young.

If he does get into it, he also has enough money available to upgrade himself, and knowing him and the way he works, It would not surprise me if he did. He has always been a outdoors guy who is fascinated with nature, and I could see him enjoying this.

He is young at heart, and for his last birthday, he bought himself a paddle board. I bet him he would not be able to do it, and he won our bet.

"Still Ripped At 73"

pic.jpg

As a Vietnam war veteran himself, he used to run a program similar to outward bound along with a few other guys that took other war veterans and there familiy's out on canoe and backpacking adventures for group counseling though the local VA Hospital.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: For anyone who reads this, feel free to also share stories about your fathers.

Edited by Mbinoc, 15 June 2019 - 04:20 PM.

• cuzimthedad, havasman, mohitk and 2 others like this

#2 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

Wish him happy Father's Day from all of us at CN.
  • king1522, vtornado and mrsjeff like this

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Bless your dad ...

A lot of chinese refractors give really nice views.  I don't know how your dad feels about the scope, but my experience with the yoke mount scopes

is that it is hard to track stuff at high powers.  You get the planet it view, let the tube go and it sags, and the object is gone. Keep your eyes open for a craigs-list scope on a sturdier mount, if he is having problems finding things.

You guys can also build a pipe mount too.

He may also like a right angle finder to save his neck.

Happy Fathers day.

VT.

Edited by vtornado, 16 June 2019 - 11:42 AM.

• Bowlerhat likes this

#4 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Well. he liked it, we set up the telescope in his living room yesterday, and the terrestrial views were pretty darn good out of his window with the 45% prism. He lives in a area with larger sized yards, (He has about a acer of land, and the neighbor across the street has 3 1/2 Acers, Its a old farm no longer in use, and the family that lives there now used to own the whole block). I think he will use it alot for viewing wildlife (birds / coyotes / deer), and will occationaly take it out for some night time views as well.

I live about 10 minutes away, and although my own neighboorhood has smaller yards, I also see lots of wildlife and I was able to capture this photo yesterday morning outside my living room window. I have a small section of undeveloped land behiind my house that is within a flood plain consisting of about two acers, it helps draw in some wildlife into the yard. Over the last 8 years I have commonly seen (Birds / Coyotes / Racoons /Foxes / Possums / Skunks/ Groundhogs / and Deer). Ealier this year I saw my first Bald Eagle back there, and also once saw a Snowy Owl / and just once saw a Mink). Most days there is not anything interesting back there, but it nice to be prepared when there is.

This is why I first started collecting Binoculars, hence my user name. Its amazing how much wildlife is out there in a highly developed area. Also what helps draw it in, is I have a small 25 foot wide river running through the neighboorhood about a block away.

1.JPG

Its pretty neat to be able to see all this stuff in the close Chicago Suburbs right in the backyard.

Edited by Mbinoc, 17 June 2019 - 10:02 AM.

#5 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

If he's an active guy wouldn't it better to get him a short tube for faster stable movement?

+1 for sagging, it can be frustrating, especially with heavier eyepieces.

Edited by Bowlerhat, 17 June 2019 - 04:14 PM.

• Mbinoc likes this

#6 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

Is he's an active guy wouldn't it better to get him a short tube for faster stable movement?

+1 for sagging, it can be frustrating, especially with heavier eyepieces.

Yea, it could always be better. A few years ago my father, brother, sister and I all pitched in and purchased a plot of land about a hour south on several acers of land that all the combined families use as a vacation weekend spot. When my father is down there weekly he has access to my own scopes that are nicer but not by a whole lot.

This telescope was setup to keep at his house closer to the burbs. Since he is retired he splits his time between the two places, and spends a few days each week at the other place. When he is down in that area he could take my scopes out whenever he wants.

The night time views down there, are much nicer that we can mamage in the Chicago subburbs. In the summer my brother or I usually make it out there once other every week for just a night just to make sure the lawn gets mowed.

Were a close family that all gets along, and all our individual friends have come together, and hang out on weekly basis . My sister actually married one of my brothers close friends he went to highschool with.

Its a nice situation. and its good to have a extended family where eveyone is faily stable and gets along well together. My siblings and I all are all in or 40's, and live within 1/2 hour of each other. In todays world, this has to be a fairly rare set of circumstances.

When it comes to family, knowbody gets to pick there own. When problems arise it just makes scense to make what ever compromises are needed, and try to stick together.

Edited by Mbinoc, 17 June 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• tony_spina and Bowlerhat like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics