•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

A good decision?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

Now that I've left school and have a job, I want to get back into astronomy. After straddling the fence for a while, I decided the other day to get binoculars instead of my previous plan of fixing up/improving the 60mm refractor I had as a kid.

Would this be a wise decision, in my case? My plan was to get a 15x70 Celestron Skymaster and build a parallelogram mount. I think the impending arrival of the LINEAR and NEAT comets had something to do with my sudden interest in binoculars. However, I live in the San Fernando Valley in LA, and thus there is a good deal of light pollution. Given this, in terms of the number of objects that I could see in this environment, would I be better off just sticking with the telescope upgrade so that I can at least look at the planents? Thanks for any comments...

#2 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

I think you'll have a lot more fun with the wider FOV of the 15x70s. No offense, but a 60mm scope just really isn't enough scope to spend much time "fixing up/improving". Depending on what you've got, there might not even be all that much you really can do to improve it. I'd highly suggest either getting the 15x70s, or if you really think you'll need more magnification than 15x just to get through the light pollution, then get a whole different scope. Without knowing what your budget is, it's tough to coment much more. But, these days it's pretty amazing how much scope one can get for not particularly much money. I'd suggest getting the 15x70s for now, and then save up and also get a 6 or 8" reflector sometime down the road. With that combination, you could see a lot for a long time.

Mike Swaim

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for your comments...

Fernando

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

I think the 70mm will blow the socks off your 60mm refractor. In any event, I think a pair or two of bino's in your astro kit is required. So you can also think of it as filling out your kit.

#5 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

16x70's are my favorite way to look at the "Big Picture" of the sky, objects seem to "Float" in 3D and the field is indeed RICH. Now if you want to really go CRAZY, JMI has a 6" bino-newtonian scope arrangement. I looked thru it once and was amazed, but they want more scratch than I have the itch to spend.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:48 AM

I agree with what everyone is saying. I recommend going with the binos. Building a P-mount with your possibliy future 15x binos would be an excellent and fun way to get back into astronomy. And THEN save your change for a bigger toy down the road...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics