•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece ID - "TP 6mm"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beastmaster

Beastmaster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:09 AM

I just acquired several eyepieces earlier today, including one marked "T.P. 6mm" with a Japan, Circle T mark on the barrel.  Also in the set was a K.12mm and K.26mm also marked Circle T.  I assume the "K" is for Kellner, but what does the "T.P." represent?

Are the eyepieces shown below considered the "Volcano" tops I've read about?  Any ideas on who was the importer / supplier?

Thanks!

FredIMG_5631.JPG IMG_5632.JPG

#2 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:28 AM

Hi - see this previous CN thread for description of "triplane":

https://www.cloudyni...-this-eyepiece/

#3 Beastmaster

Beastmaster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:34 AM

Great - that post describes exactly what I have.  I haven't heard of that type of design before.  Hopefully I can get some cloudless skies soon so I can test this eyepiece and the others.

Thanks!

#4 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:44 AM

Please try it out and let us know if its performance is "poor" compared to your 12mm Kellner.

Many of us started out with these basic designs over 50 years ago so they still have a nostalgic appeal.

#5 markb

markb

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:19 AM

This was new to me and piqued my curiosity. A google searched located 2 CN posts, see https://www.cloudyni...-this-eyepiece/

The shape is defintely 'volcano top', but my first image on that phrase is orthos.

A WTB A-M posting for the 6mm TP even popped up.

Edited by markb, 16 June 2019 - 03:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics