•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software Bisque MyT vs MX+ for Sky-Watcher Esprit 150mm Triplet APO Refractor

mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DarkEmc2

DarkEmc2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:24 AM

Hi all. This is only my second forum post, and I appreciate the depth of wisdom and experience on the Cloudy Nights forum! Anyone have any preferences or recommendations to a Software Bisque MyT vs. MX+ mount for a Sky-Watcher Esprit 150mm Triplet APO Refractor, especially ease of setup, portability, and PE correction? I had a recent double hernia operation and do not want to go through that again! But, the difference in weight of the MX+ vs. the MyT and the PE correction, especially with a Sky-Watcher Esprit 150mm? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Perhaps, I'd be fine with the MyT with the Esprit 150mm, a ZWO-ASI385 or Baader diagonal and eyepiece and the Sky-Watcher Esprit finder scope on board. Weight, portability, cost vs. PE correction and/or durability (the MyT and MX+ are both quality mounts, but the gears on the MyT are smaller). Thanks. DarkEmc2.

• Kriz1027 likes this

#2 LPA

LPA

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

I went through a similar decision process two years ago after purchasing an EdgeHD 11 which weighs about the same as the Esprit 150. I knew once I added sturdy rings, camera, filter wheel, and guide scope, I would be close to the 50 lb limit of the MyT. So I went with the MX+ which also gave me some future-proofing should I have an opportunity to get a bigger scope. Now I'm very glad I made that choice. Originally, I took the MX+, scope and gear to a permanent pier at our dark sky site whenever I wanted to use them. I could manage its 50 lb weight ok. The MyT is 15 lbs lighter than the MX+ so it would be slightly easier to manage for portable use. PEC training (a 1-time process), PA, setup and control would be essentially the same for the two mounts. So for me what it came down to was: do I spend the additional $3k for the MX+ with its higher capacity or go with the less expensive MyT for its greater portability. Now that I have a ROR around the pier for the MX+, I'm doubly glad I went with the MX+.

Larry

Edited by LPA, 16 June 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

Richard Wright of Software Bisque using the MyT with the 150 and gets great results.

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

To answer the question, the PE spec without correction is the same for all Bisque mounts. The PEC routine is the same for all Bisque mounts. So, if you keep within the weight limit for any Bisque mount you should get the same performance. If you are portable and the 150 is going to be your biggest scope get the MYT. I'm not sure why you think that PE is the so important but if you do then you do. With a large TPoint run you would be using Protrack in any case which gives you some improvement in guiding on top of what the mount delivers. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#5 DarkEmc2

DarkEmc2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

Thanks so much for the great info! According to Richard Wright, the PE correction is better for the MX+ than MYT, but you’re right in that it’s splitting hairs (or arc seconds) in difference as they’re both great mounts. As also mentioned, I just didn’t want to invest $6k in MyT, and possibly get close to the 50lb limit, then wish I went 16lbs heavier and $3k more to gain twice the payload potential. After a double hernia operation two months ago I was debating the 16lb difference. Great points you’ve all made. Wish I paid more attention at NEAF this year! You’ve all been wonderful with your input. Thanks so much! Happy Father’s Day!
  • RedLionNJ likes this

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Both mounts have the same specification http://www.bisque.co...aramountMX.aspx and http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/ParamountMYT.aspx both show 7 arc seconds before PEC. It's likely that you will do better than that. The 15 pounds difference matters if you have to carry the mount a long way. If you are just moving it 15 feet from your car to the tripod, it's not really relevant for most people. 

Rgrds-Ross

#7 Destrehan Dave

Destrehan Dave

Mariner 2

• Loc: Destrehan, LA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

‘And now,
for something completely different..’

As awesome as the MX+ (and perhaps even the MyT) is, for predominately visual, portable use, I would not -again- purchase a mount that requires a separate computer to operate, even a Raspberry Pi, iPad, or Smart phone.

It’s just so much less of a hassle to setup without -having- to hook up a computer just to slew.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t mind using the laptop with Polemaster, but unless I’m setting up a full rig for a multi-night of astro-imaging, I just love having a setup and slewing device such as a Hand Controller.

If I wanted a primo portable mount, I’d opt for the new AP Mach 2 and get the optional HC.

Polar align with Polemaster (the bestest accessory ever), unplug the computer, and slew away with the HC in hand, and eyes in eyepiece.

Freedom!

YMMV / DD

Edited by Destrehan Dave, 17 June 2019 - 09:38 AM.

#8 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

‘And now,
for something completely different..’

As awesome as the MX+ (and perhaps even the MyT) is, for predominately visual, portable use, I would not -again- purchase a mount that requires a separate computer to operate, even a Raspberry Pi, iPad, or Smart phone.

It’s just so much less of a hassle to setup without -having- to hook up a computer just to slew.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t mind using the laptop with Polemaster, but unless I’m setting up a full rig for a multi-night of astro-imaging, I just love having a setup and slewing device such as a Hand Controller.

If I wanted a primo portable mount, I’d opt for the new AP Mach 2 and get the optional HC.

Polar align with Polemaster (the bestest accessory ever), unplug the computer, and slew away with the HC in hand, and eyes in eyepiece.

Freedom!

YMMV / DD

I thought this argument had pretty much died when AP made their HC an ala cartel item and started charging $1000 for it. Or, you can still get the MyT, MX+, ME2, with a Wifi board, way less than a grand, and use your phone or iPad to run circles around AP’s HC. Freedom. 

#9 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

The SB method means that you use a tablet (which is really a computer) and add in the WiSky Board (250 dollars). Or you can buy the AP hand controller (which is actually a computer) for 1000 dollars. Either way you are using a computer in the field. 

To me the biggest advantage of the Mach1 as a portable mount was its light weight and the RAPAS which allowed me to align the mount in less than 5 minutes. This gave me sufficient accuracy to image with my refractors and to use the mount at star parties. I'm just not sold on the Mach 2 as a portable mount given it's weight. If I wanted the lightest weight and best mount for the money, it's really hard to beat the CEM60.

I found yet another price insensitive owner over the weekend who loves his CEM60 (non EC version) who uses an AP155 telescope. That would unquestionably be my choice for a really portable mount. It's even lighter in weight than the old Mach 1 and the GPS means it knows where you are (in a good way). Of course, once you put that Edge 11 HD on it I doubt you'll be happy. With a  150mm refractor I think you're in business as well as for smaller equipment. 

Rgrds-Ross

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

Everyone, lets keep the discussion on the OP's original  question  - deciding between the MyT and MX+.  Please start a new thread if you want to discuss other mounts. Thanks.

#11 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Either mount will handle the 150 fine for most imaging applications, even narrow band. As noted, Richard Wright of SB does much of his work with the MyT and the Esprit 150. Great choice of mount and great choice of scope.

It is important to point out that with your recent double hernia operation neither of the mounts or that scope are going to be much fun hoisting around. They are all very heavy, the MX+ more so than the MyT but both are still heavy. Please keep that in mind when making your selection. Perhaps delaying a bit so you have more distance (time) from the date of the operation to when you start using it would be something to consider. 

As to the visual only question, TSX has a tablet option that works very well with both mounts and no computer is required. The wifi board is required but in the grand scheme of things not that much more as an addon and it gives you more options for mount control. If it is for AP then you are likely already going to have a computer there so it is a non issue.

#12 DarkEmc2

DarkEmc2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thank you all so much for your help. Yes Voyager 1, I will give it another month or so following the hernia surgery from two months ago; certainly much better, but cautious. The MyT is calling me, but I'll need to sell my existing Celestron setup first: a Celestron C14 EdgeHD, CGE Pro mount with the heavy 2" tripod, a 2" Star Diagonal, along with an unused AstroZap dew shield, and I only used this setup once! (I was going to build an observatory for the Celestron setup, but we talk about moving, so I'm looking to go more portable with the MyT and Sky-Watcher Esprit 150.) I only joined this wonderful forum a week ago, so I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can put the Celestron setup in the classifieds.

For me right now, Portability & Quality = Use & Fun!

You have all been wonderful, presenting great ideas, and direction. I can't thank all of you enough!

#13 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Viking 1

• Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

I'd vote for the MX, the doubled payload capacity is worth the extra 15 pounds to me but I do lug around a rusty old Meade Giant Field Tripod that weighs more than my MX so my idea of "portable" may be a reach. It's a very stable setup in the field and the additional height is nice for visual use with refractors.

There are options for control of the Paramounts other than the SB WiSky approach for a full featured wireless hand control. I've used an Android phone or tablet with SkySarari for about five years now when doing outreach or just fooling around, it works well for me and is an inexpensive approach. TheSkyX has included a TCP server which accepts commands for many years and the ability to run on a "headless" single-board computer such as a Raspberry Pi opens up other possibilities if that's something of interest to you. The Software Bisque approach is pretty flexible and very agnostic of operating systems but there are many other considerations to include. I find I usually just have a laptop running Windows attached and expand this for my application when necessary while maintaining very broad compatibility for other equipment.

Good luck and clear skies,

Bill 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics