•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

cant get focus on X5 Barlow GSO

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 karimooo

karimooo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

I tried to use the GSO x5 Barlow on the 200mm F4 astrograph reflector but I could not get focus neither with a DSLR or IMX224 camera

any way I can get focus with the X5 barlow to photograph the planets.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

Is the problem insufficent focuser movement, or, the image gets better then gets worse and the "best" point is not sharp?

Actually would not expect a 5x barlow to produce a good image, especially as the scope is fast and all you are doing is making it slow, not something it was designed for or to do. Theory says a 5x barlow will produce an image equal to a 4000mm scope. However reality is that the result will be garbage. Optically most barlows are not great.

You might manage better with a 2x or 2.5x TV powermate.

As the barlow sits inside the focal plane it is acting as a negative lens so should push the image out from the usual position, so very likely you need extra travel outwards on the focuser.

#3 karimooo

karimooo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:50 AM

that what I was expecting that I get 4000mm F20 from 8" telescope being it slow it does not matter as I want to photograph the planets so F20 is find but the issue is will I reach to focus and where should I keep the extender between the camera and the barlow or the barlow and focuser?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics