•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New USB Port on EQ6-R

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

Picked up a new Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro telescope mount last week from OPT Telescopes and was surprised to see the addition of a new USB port on the mount head. This must be a very new update to this model, because I don't see it shown anywhere online yet.

Unboxing Video:

https://youtu.be/Y3aGG-8zUTA

Attached Thumbnails

• USBport.jpg

• Live_Steam_Mad and PirateMike like this

#2 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

That is very interesting! I hope that means you can connect the mount to a PC without the hand controller.
  • PirateMike likes this

#3 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:29 AM

That is very interesting! I hope that means you can connect the mount to a PC without the hand controller.

I hope so too.  I haven't even installed any software yet.

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

I have first seen this change here... https://www.cloudyni...d-issue-solved/

You should read this tread to see how to use the USB connection.

Miguel   8-)

#5 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for that. This is a nice change. I wish mine had this.
  • PirateMike likes this

#6 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for that. This is a nice change. I wish mine had this.

I believe that you can connect a computer directly to your EQ6-R Pro mount, I always have my Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G mount controlled directly by computer. You need an EQDir cable which is a specialty cable hand made specifically for this purpose.

http://www.store.sho...products_eq.htm

You will also need a few free programs like Ascom, EQMod, and Cartes du Ciel (CdC) and the required drivers.

Here is a website that explains how to do it... https://www.atm-work...pc-connect.html

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 16 June 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#7 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I have first seen this change here... https://www.cloudyni...d-issue-solved/

You should read this tread to see how to use the USB connection.

Miguel   8-)

Oh it looks like there is a lot of great info there, thanks!

#8 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I believe that you can connect a computer directly to your EQ6-R Pro mount, I always have my Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G mount controlled directly by computer. You need an EQDir cable which is a specialty cable hand made specifically for this purpose.

You will also need a few free programs like Ascom, EQMod, and Cartes du Ciel (CdC) and the required drivers.

Here is a website that explains how to do it... https://www.atm-work...pc-connect.html

Miguel   8-)

Thanks for the info!

#9 jdupton

jdupton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Miguel,

Miguel   8-)

Note that with the new version of the EQ6R-Pro, you no longer need the Shoestring EQDIR cable. You can directly connect the mount and the PC with a standard USB Printer cable (USB type-A to USB type-B). Once you figure out which COM port is being used by the mount connection, the rest of the tutorial you linked will go the same.

Yob Snob,

Just remember to follow user MikeECha's advice in that other thread and set the communications rate to 115,200 in the COM Port set up on windows.

https://www.cloudyni...d/#entry9423762

That thread was the first time I had seen mention of the USB port on the EQ6R-Pro. Prior images of that mount (and the SkyWatcher site) show nothing. It's great they have added the direct USB port on this mount.

John

PS: A clarification note about the Tutorial. If you connect from the mount to the PC directly with the USB cable, you must use EQMOD as your ASCOM driver. If you connect the HandControl to the Mount and the PC to the Hand Control, you can use either the SkyWatcher ASCOM driver or the EQMOD ASCOM driver as described in the tutorial.

Edited by jdupton, 16 June 2019 - 11:41 AM.

• elmiko and AhBok like this

#10 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Miguel,

Note that with the new version of the EQ6R-Pro, you no longer need the Shoestring EQDIR cable. You can directly connect the mount and the PC with a standard USB Printer cable (USB type-A to USB type-B). Once you figure out which COM port is being used by the mount connection, the rest of the tutorial you linked will go the same.

Yob Snob,

Just remember to follow user MikeECha's advice in that other thread and set the communications rate to 115,200 in the COM Port set up on windows.

https://www.cloudyni...d/#entry9423762

That thread was the first time I had seen mention of the USB port on the EQ6R-Pro. Prior images of that mount (and the SkyWatcher site) show nothing. It's great they have added the direct USB port on this mount.

John

PS: A clarification note about the Tutorial. If you connect from the mount to the PC directly with the USB cable, you must use EQMOD as your ASCOM driver. If you connect the HandControl to the Mount and the PC to the Hand Control, you can use either the SkyWatcher ASCOM driver or the EQMOD ASCOM driver as described in the tutorial.

Thanks for the advice, John.

#11 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

Miguel   8-)

Thanks. Yep. I’ve been using the EQDIR cable for some time, but I was commenting on being able to use a simple USB cable either the latest version. Nice!

• Yob Snob likes this

#12 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

The EQ6-R USB board is a rolling change that is occurring at this time. It does not affect the actual use of the mount.

The USB allows users to plug direct into the mount and control using the SynScan Pro app for Windows. The app will run in the background while control is moved over the the software of choice.

Protocols are exactly the same as using the controller which is still included. Control can still be done through the controller as well.
  • AhBok and lspensieri like this

#13 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:01 PM

So this means I could run the mount without the hand controller with SynScan Pro and then connect to EQMOD if I wanted to through SynScan Pro? Correct?

#14 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

So this means I could run the mount without the hand controller with SynScan Pro and then connect to EQMOD if I wanted to through SynScan Pro? Correct?

That is the plan. I need to test it with other softwares.
  • jdupton likes this

#15 lspensieri

lspensieri

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York City

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:38 PM

The EQ6-R USB board is a rolling change that is occurring at this time. It does not affect the actual use of the mount.

The USB allows users to plug direct into the mount and control using the SynScan Pro app for Windows. The app will run in the background while control is moved over the the software of choice.

Protocols are exactly the same as using the controller which is still included. Control can still be done through the controller as well.

Amazing! My EQ6-R Pro also has this USB port on the mount.

Can I use this port to connect directly to a Mac running INDI software like KStars and Ekos?

• J.A Seville likes this

#16 Im2bent

Im2bent

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

So those of us that bought one a few months ago and paid 50 bucks for the eqdirect cable got shafted. Got it thanks skywatcher

#17 AlanSheppard

AlanSheppard

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bedford Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Amazing! My EQ6-R Pro also has this USB port on the mount.

Can I use this port to connect directly to a Mac running INDI software like KStars and Ekos?

#18 AlanSheppard

AlanSheppard

Mariner 2

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

I have just purchased the as-eq6 mount from FLO and it has the new Ver 5 HC with usb and the mount has the usb as well. The manual indicates that the Mac will be supported in the future. Don’t quote me exactly as I find the manual difficult to read at the best of times!

I have a serial to usb cable that I made for my Celestron NexStar over 10 years ago. The census is that I should not use it, correct?

Alan

#19 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

So those of us that bought one a few months ago and paid 50 bucks for the eqdirect cable got shafted. Got it thanks skywatcher

Did you buy one expecting it to have the USB port, then found out it didn't have it?

Or did you buy one not expecting it to have the USB port, and got just what was expected and was in-spec at the time?

:)

• Taylor likes this

#20 AlanSheppard

AlanSheppard

Mariner 2

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Did you buy one expecting it to have the USB port, then found out it didn't have it?

Or did you buy one not expecting it to have the USB port, and got just what was expected and was in-spec at the time?

smile.gif

When I ordered from FLO I had asked for the HC to be updated if necessary and also if the ver 5 was available, not knowing it had USB ports. I just wanted the ver 5 if it was imminent. I was told that the mount May have the new HC and lucky enough to have the HC ver 5 and USB ports on the HC and mount.

Alan

#21 Im2bent

Im2bent

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

smile.gif

Well I wasn't expecting it to be obsolete in 5 months.

#22 Im2bent

Im2bent

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Besides isn't Cloudy Nights where you got to shake your fist at the clouds whilst complaining?

#23 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:56 AM

Sometimes **** just happens... a case of bad timing?

#24 Akwilliams

Akwilliams

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

I'm in the same boat... bought one earlier this year and it didnt have the USB port..  didnt even know it was something being added to the mount.  Would have been nice to have, but i use the Pegasus Astro EQDir Bluetooth box,  so the hand controller is still in the orginal box unused!

I guess if they make too much of a fuss about a new feature, stocks of the non USB model will end up being left on the shelf!.. 

#25 AlanSheppard

AlanSheppard

Mariner 2

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

I'm in the same boat... bought one earlier this year and it didnt have the USB port..  didnt even know it was something being added to the mount.  Would have been nice to have, but i use the Pegasus Astro EQDir Bluetooth box,  so the hand controller is still in the orginal box unused!

I guess if they make too much of a fuss about a new feature, stocks of the non USB model will end up being left on the shelf!.. 

I returned a mount last year the I went to purchase this year but there were none to be had. It was just my luck to not being able to order in Canada or the US this my purchase from the UK. All I did was ask for the latest update and maybe the V 5 HC, to my surprise I was told it may come with the V 5 and it did plus the USB port on the mount.

Alan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics